Pekin Duck Club!

Well look how cute!!! I'd say they are pekins. Small chance of buffs. But cute non the less. They are so fun at this age! Still babies but they are so funny and think they are big ducks
this is them now I just took this picture a few mins ago

Honestly, pekins are sweet ducks that love kids. (Well tolorate kids) buffs are a little skittish but if you raise them right they'll be better than pekins. Mine is quiet, she eats right from my hand and let's me pick her up. But if they are buffs you gotta spend time with them. Pekins will always be happy to take food from a kids hand or be petted.
ok they are will to eat food from our hands they also enjoy following us around when we let them out of there inclosure to walk them around the yard they are still a little skittish about being held though but we spend a lot of time with them so I figure with time that might change I bring them in the house at night because it still get a little chilly at night but they spend the whole day out side in there inclosure since it have been really warm during the day here is a picture of the inclosure the only other thing we are having a hard time with is they won't go into there house do you have any advice with that or is it just something that comes with time I want them to be a cofortable as possible

ok they are will to eat food from our hands they also enjoy following us around when we let them out of there inclosure to walk them around the yard they are still a little skittish about being held though but we spend a lot of time with them so I figure with time that might change I bring them in the house at night because it still get a little chilly at night but they spend the whole day out side in there inclosure since it have been really warm during the day here is a picture of the inclosure the only other thing we are having a hard time with is they won't go into there house do you have any advice with that or is it just something that comes with time I want them to be a cofortable as possible

Oh ducks are just suborn like that. All 10 of my adults would go In. But when winter rolls around I figured I had to get them in. It's better to train them early, so when you feed them, always feed them in their house. This is how they get used to going in there. I'll defiantly train my 4 new babies early. You don't have to do this but it will make them more comfortable when it's cold because they'll be willing to go in.

Oh ducks are just suborn like that. All 10 of my adults would go In. But when winter rolls around I figured I had to get them in. It's better to train them early, so when you feed them, always feed them in their house. This is how they get used to going in there. I'll defiantly train my 4 new babies early. You don't have to do this but it will make them more comfortable when it's cold because they'll be willing to go in.
ok sound great thank you so much for all the advice I will be starting it all tomorrow we built them a huge house and put straw in it for extra confort I really appericeate all the advice I was really worried I might be doing something wrong thank you so much

One of the question I have is our babies are 12 days old . What age are we allowed to give them fresh veggies and fruits. I have them on starter feed right now I was also wondering at what age do I need to switch there feed or do the y stay on the starter feed there whole live I keep looking on here to see if anyone answers you are also welcome to message me as well thank you very much

I don't know if this has been covered with your question or not, but before eating fresh veggies and fruits, ducklings need some grit.

I got a small back of chick grit for mine, and added a teaspoon a day to their food, then waited to give treats for a week or two, if I recall. I was following Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

And at 2 weeks I begin mixing in grower with the starter in larger and larger proportions till they were on all grower.

ok sound great thank you so much for all the advice I will be starting it all tomorrow we built them a huge house and put straw in it for extra confort I really appericeate all the advice I was really worried I might be doing something wrong thank you so much

Oh no problem! Pekins are big hardy ducks that live a long time, so you really can't go wrong with getting them as starter ducks. They are the best! Now, if you got runners or crested as beginning ducks, you'd have a lot more to worry about. My crested and runners have to be watched constantly in spring to make sure they don't get into to much trouble

I don't know if this has been covered with your question or not, but before eating fresh veggies and fruits, ducklings need some grit.

I got a small back of chick grit for mine, and added a teaspoon a day to their food, then waited to give treats for a week or two, if I recall.  I was following Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

And at 2 weeks I begin mixing in grower with the starter in larger and larger proportions till they were on all grower.

Oh right! Mine have grit mixed into their food already but it's optional, no need to run out buying 7lbs. Of it worrying your ducks won't make it without grit (hahaha well I guess EVERYONE needs grit to make it through life
1f602.png
1f425.png
I'm killing myself here with these puns)

Oh no problem! Pekins are big hardy ducks that live a long time, so you really can't go wrong with getting them as starter ducks. They are the best! Now, if you got runners or crested as beginning ducks, you'd have a lot more to worry about. My crested and runners have to be watched constantly in spring to make sure they don't get into to much trouble
we were originally going to get a blue sweddish and black sweddish but decided on the pekins but because of were we got them at I didn't have a choice on male or female but we are really hoping that we got all females because my son really want to collect the eggs he has all of a sudden form a obession with duck so I figured why not lol

Back
Top Bottom