Pekin Duck Club!

I have found a spray nozzle at TSC that has 9 spray settings on it.  At first, my ducks wouldn't come near the kiddie pool with the hose in it, to fill it.  As soon as I pulled the hose out of their pen, they would jump in the pool.  Now, with the spray nozzle on it, I put it on the "shower" setting, and start to fill the pool with it.  They all come to the edge of the pool (I have 4 Jumbo Pekins and 6 Rouens), stick their heads in the pool, and chase the water.  Before long, the dominant Pekin hen, Pinky, will jump in, and get her shower.  Then one of the Rouen drakes jumps in, behind her, and before long I have 3 Pekins and 4 Rouens in the pool, all enjoying their shower.  The other 3 sit on the outside, waiting their turn, and so I will occasionally shower them with water, too, so they don't feel left out.  Now, they won't get in their pool until I drain it, and fill it again with the "shower" setting on the hose!  Spoiled, but happy, ducks!
lol! That's great! Yea my ducks are just now at the age to where they have "moments" in the pool.
1f60a.png

Hopefully you guys can help me here - we inherited three ducks recently. One is a female pekin. First time duck owners so finding our feet!!!

She has a really nippy personality? Whenever I go in to change water and feed etc they quack away like normal but whenever I turn to leave the pekin lowers her head and waddle-runs at me in a manner that can only be described as 'get out my pen!!!'

Whenever I turn round and catch her in the act its as if she goes 'oops, busted... Didn't mean it!' And runs in the opposite direction away from me again.

It's hilarious to see and doesn't bother me but I'm slightly concerned she feels I'm in her road or annoying her? I want to make sure we all get along well :D

Any advise?

Hopefully you guys can help me here - we inherited three ducks recently. One is a female pekin. First time duck owners so finding our feet!!!

She has a really nippy personality? Whenever I go in to change water and feed etc they quack away like normal but whenever I turn to leave the pekin lowers her head and waddle-runs at me in a manner that can only be described as 'get out my pen!!!'

Whenever I turn round and catch her in the act its as if she goes 'oops, busted... Didn't mean it!' And runs in the opposite direction away from me again.

It's hilarious to see and doesn't bother me but I'm slightly concerned she feels I'm in her road or annoying her? I want to make sure we all get along well
big_smile.png

Any advise?
Hi and Welcome! That sounds exactly like what she is doing. In her mind are a threat, you are large and could hurt her so she has to protect her flock and area. If you can manage to catch her take time to hold her and talk low to her for a while. Lowering yourself closer to the ground will help them overcome the sense that you are going to do them harm too. Not to mention treats are a sure way into their hearts...cucumber, watermelon, peas. Good luck!

Hi and Welcome! That sounds exactly like what she is doing. In her mind are a threat, you are large and could hurt her so she has to protect her flock and area. If you can manage to catch her take time to hold her and talk low to her for a while. Lowering yourself closer to the ground will help them overcome the sense that you are going to do them harm too. Not to mention treats are a sure way into their hearts...cucumber, watermelon, peas. Good luck!

Hi! Thank you!

The other two are absolutely fine which is good. And ironically, when I go in, she is the bravest in coming closer to me.

I think the change of owners has stressed them out so I want to be sure to make it as easy as possible for them.

Thanks for your advice. I fear I am a long way from being able to hold anyone but I will start with treats today!

:D

Need some help ducky friends... Butter has suddenly exhibiting some strange behavior. I can not find anything anywhere that sounds like what is going on. I posted it in the duck section but want to see if anyone here may have some advice also. Only thing I can come up with is maybe seizures (but it is as severe as I read about or look like the vids I have found). SO I am lost and floundering.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/801156/pekin-duck-wing-walking-and-freezing

Our Pekin, Butter, is a little over a year old. So far she has been healthy as a horse. Within the last 3 days she has shown a strange behavior but only first thing in the morning when she is released from the coop.
She comes running out fluffy and talking loudly like always. But she will eventually stop, drop her tail towards the ground and stand tall. She begins panting really hard (I think this is because she is scared about what she is feeling, don't really know). If she tries to walk off she can not make her legs move properly and ends up sitting down trying to use her wings to walk. After about a minute or two it passes and she is off like nothing ever happened. I have only witnessed it happening 2 times in a single morning, within 20 minutes of each other. The rest of the day she is fine and has no issues.
When it happens I pick her up, she stretches her neck above my shoulder and just lets me hold her. I can feel how tense she is, she seems to be warmer than usual and her heart rate is increased. Slowly she begins to relax and lets me know she wants down. Again she goes on her merry way.
There is no signs of sickness, no discharge, eyes are clear, lungs and heart sound good.
We have checked the yard for signs of anything that could have suddenly grown that is bad/dangerous - nothing. They live in a 90x40 yard, fenced in, and have been there for over a year. The coop is a 10x12 barn kept clean. I even walk around daily on poopy patrol with the hose getting rid of any piles I see. Water is changed in the three pools daily and the tubs are changed 1-2xs daily. She shares the yard with 9 other ducks and 18 chickens...no one else is sick, hurt, or acting strange. It has just hit her suddenly and only in the AM.
I did find some bumblefoot and will begin treating it tomorrow when I pick up some ointment for it. But we have had that issue with it before and this behavior did not occur. Plus it seems to be more than "ouch, my foot hurts and I don't want to use it" cause she walks/runs just fine.
So any clues?? Advice??

Ok finally the less-than-haflway decent pics I promised. Both are 13 weeks (today, in fact) but one has an orange beak and the other a yellow one.

At least there is a decent view of their tail feathers in this one. I took about 9 pics and they refused to pose for any of them. The other 9 have chooks jumping in front of the camera as if it were made of treats
th.gif
They are cute little things. I think you have a boy and a girl. By the tail feathers, it is hard to see but looks a little like it is curling. the beaks look just like my female and males. Good luck!

***PEKIN DUCK CLUB MEMBERS LIST***

Ace243- Quackers, Cheese (R.I.P.) & Drake

animalfreak- Bonnie & Clyde

animallover2202

AmberRex- Harvey, Ellen, Bubbles, Pebbles, Bath, Waddle, Splash and the Loudly 17 Ducklings

Apyl- Po, Ducky Mo Mo, Axel

ashswag14

aStalkerNearYou- Launchpad McQuack and Princess FluffyButt

BarredRockGirls- Charlotte,Webber & Cookie

Bill B

bindy003- Daisy, Daphinie and Donald

bonnylass79

Blondiega1- Tweety, Taz, Jmatt, Ming Ming, Largo, Montego, Ginger, MaryAnn

bluemountaingal- Percy & Piper

bmubden

bpendleton77- Wheezy and Waddles

briarpatchfarms

Brittany B

Caitlin2013- Aflac, Kelso, Pedro, and Bon Jovi

calmwinds- Aflac 2 & Twitty Bird

CamperLarkin

can you hear me now?

CaptainQwak- Nibbler

Carebearsmiles- Scooter

carmengirl

Chicken Lady 4- Donald, Jadis and Odette

chickensnewtome- Laffy & Taffy, Ying & Yang

chickery-do- and the gang

Chickiemommie87- Sally & Waddlesworth

chicks4fun- Ducky & Pappa

CKotaba

Clucknut

CountryGirl1984

countrygirl74- Yangtze & Ping

crazypoultrychx

Crystinek- Peck

DawnElise

DebMasters03

DenverDucky- Soleil

DonaldFan

duckins- Aflac James, Bitsy Lewis, and Hermen
Wayne

ducklesnme

ducklover87- Chloe, Cheese, Goose and Aflac

Duck Owner

duckylove2

duckmomma92- Toad, Molly, Savannah and Angel

emilee427- Pinky, Nibbles "Nibs", and Muddy

farmer boy- Bobby

Farmer Hank

featherfriender

foodblister- Ping & Pong

Gatorbait

golfdiva- Jack & Diane

Graceful Acres- Gertie, Slappy and babies

gracetownchick

Green Liver- Quack-Quack

hac1224

HaileyBrown

HarlessFarm- Feisty, Yogi and Boo Boo

heatherlyns6

hendrickx

Hiesenburg

HollyDuckFarmer

HughesFowlFarm

iboughtaduck

I gotDucks

jclu16- Eyebrow & Houdini

jcs4510

jenniferlaustin- Pop & Tart

Jessicam320

jessiew33- Nugget

Jharper- Bill, Bonita & Fonita

jlquick30- Ming-Ming & Silly

Jmanvanatta- Marcelene, Jake and Bubblegum

Jmurph- Flip & Flop

johari- Jemima

JonBoy7- Sam-I-Am (R.I.P.)

jonhpdx- Grace

JustAChickenLittle&More

justducky1

kbh8310

KBHatchery

kelseylanefarm

kendradillion- Puddles

kgroover

kimmyjay- Larry, Curly, Mo, Blossom, Buttercup, and Bubbles

kodster- Duck Mama of 6 Jumbo Pekins and 6 Rouens

kylieshill- Bowie, Charger and Bubbles

Laci7210- Pip & Squeak

launius- Whitey

lauranickerson

leggalegalu

leishajane- Pebbles & Bam Bam

LilDucky85

liquorqueen- Jager & Meister

littlechick8- Rador & Tailfeathers

lorid- Lucky, Duddles, and Quackers

LoveDucks- Bonnie & Clyde

LuckyDucky4- Sydney, Sheldon, Gabby and Quinn

luluann

lyzyrrd- Quackers

mamacita

mandycarlo- Roadrunner, Speedy, Daffy and Lucky

marilyn1

markschicks- Daisy & Lily

maxamillion928

MemasDucks

MichelleF41- Scout

mickeymousears- Hedwig

misschickenlittle- Ernie, Kauro, Leslie and Cosette

Mommysongbird- Ping & Pong and Ying & Yang

MrsRadford

mybabirs

mynewbabies

neohiobiker

NestingHillsSC

Nickeechickee- Aflac

NicoleRook

P-Funk

Peaducken- Lily and Eugene

pekinlove1219

pekinlover8301- Daphne, Delilah, Henrey and Puffer

PekinMommy- Pickles & Puddles

pekinsRus

pichuris

PingTN- Ping

rachellynn

randallt1- Amelia & Gladys

RedRider250x- Henry

Robbo- Howard

Roxysmydog- Scrooge & Webbigael

rubberduckies- Puddle

Sadie57

Samuelsonfarm- Pepper & ?

sandersfarm

sapphireblu76- Lucky Duck, Duck Duck and Cry Baby

Sarah1031

scrappygirl- Pippi & Tippi

shadygardener

SixximusPrime- Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dumb

summer9498

susychick

starlingsbaby- Romeo & Juliet

stephanie c- Quacky

Strawberryswyrl- Billie & Raptor

sydneylynn4- George & Jemima PuddleDuck

tadpole98

taralayne

The Howards- Butterscotch

Tlammy- Eeni, Meeni, Mini and Mo

tooter

theprussia4- Donald and Daisy

twiglette- Linus

udovichtony

VioletBlueIvy- Aflack and Ducky

waynec1955

whitecreastmom

whitey61

wildsam- Susie & Gunter

WindDancer- Lucy, Linus, Pepperment Patty, Woodstock, Pig Pen & ?

xx4truexx- Darkwing & Honey

Younger- Fat Albert & Miss Daisy

zbraswell92- Guy

zzack354- Truffles, Skittles, Twix, Godiva, Praline and Bubbles

1MountainMama

2colegroves- Howard, Daisy, Mitzi and Feisty Jen

3acres- Piggy, Pistachio and Pipsqueak

7alpples- Matilda, Gus, Jemima, Sammy, Devil Duck and Lillyann

7chicks- Jack & Rose

If you would like to be added/removed from the list, please PM me so I don't miss your post! Thanks :D

Last edited:
I got some ducks that were in with alot of ducks and mine were in with 6-7 an I put them together and the two males are fighting by the neck, will it stop, is it like a pecking order type de?

Back
Top Bottom