Pekin Duck Club!

So it's close to 5 months now. When should my hen start to lay?

Soleil 4 months when she started, I heard anywhere between 6 and 10 months is typical so I will say anytime now hopefully ::fingers crossed::

Boo Hoo Skylar has got his curl. Now I'm just waiting for the official sign that Sammie is a guy too! Any girl Pekin's' up in my area?!

:(

I hear my babies chirping in their eggs! I'm so excited for my first Pekins ever! Hope they hatch okay!
How egg-citing! hah that is so cool :)

Hi all! Been following for a while. These are my 3 week olds. I decided to expand my flock of 4 chickens. They grow fast! How long does it take them to feather out? I was going to wait till six weeks to introduce them to my flock. That will also give me time to dig out a little pond for them says the wife. Just wanted to say Hi.

Hi, Let them meet w/ you being there of coarse. One you find out you have a male you need to take him away from the flock cuz his ahem will do serious damage to a hen. Pool, you'll need to change the water every few days, some do it everyday as they poop all the time in it! lol You might need a filter system. Make sure your feeding it food for ducks or get them niaicen for their legs. Other than that feed them peas! OMG they love it! Not too much at a time, but they will follow you everywhere for it! I was given mine for Easter and their still not finished but 1 drake got his tail feather curled yesterday :( Oh well I knew I have 2 boys, I just wished 1 was a girl. I even have only 2 boys! lol Enjoy them cuz they grow fast, really fast!!!

Hi all! Been following for a while. These are my 3 week olds. I decided to expand my flock of 4 chickens. They grow fast! How long does it take them to feather out? I was going to wait till six weeks to introduce them to my flock. That will also give me time to dig out a little pond for them says the wife. Just want

So I feel like the duckies can't get out. The membrane is really white, tough, and rubbery. only one has pipped so far but all the eggs keep moving around ALOT like they're trying to get out. Where the one had pipped, I peeled off a piece of the shell to see it. Here's a picture. You can barely tell it from the shell its so white. What should I do?

So I feel like the duckies can't get out. The membrane is really white, tough, and rubbery. only one has pipped so far but all the eggs keep moving around ALOT like they're trying to get out. Where the one had pipped, I peeled off a piece of the shell to see it. Here's a picture. You can barely tell it from the shell its so white. What should I do?
Sit on your hands! Leave those eggs alone... it can take up to 72 hours for ducklings to hatch, once they have pipped. They take their time, and they do a lot of resting inbetween efforts to zip their shells. They are also absorbing their yolk sacs, the veining and blood is being absorbed. You open that membrane and damage the veining before it's absorbed, and you can cause the duckling to bleed to death. Everything is proceeding normally, and you just need to keep your hands out of the incubator, and off those eggs. You keep opening the incubator, you drop the humidity, and this is the critical time, because their digestive system is finishing up developing during these last few hours. You will also cause them to shrink-wrap, and they won't be able to hatch, but die.

Go read the Hatching Eggs 101, and the accompanying "Assisting Hatching Eggs" articles, multiple times, if you have to, to find out more about what goes on during these last few hours. This is the most critical time, and the hardest to have the most patience. Good luck with your hatch!

Sit on your hands! Leave those eggs alone... it can take up to 72 hours for ducklings to hatch, once they have pipped. They take their time, and they do a lot of resting inbetween efforts to zip their shells. They are also absorbing their yolk sacs, the veining and blood is being absorbed. You open that membrane and damage the veining before it's absorbed, and you can cause the duckling to bleed to death. Everything is proceeding normally, and you just need to keep your hands out of the incubator, and off those eggs. You keep opening the incubator, you drop the humidity, and this is the critical time, because their digestive system is finishing up developing during these last few hours. You will also cause them to shrink-wrap, and they won't be able to hatch, but die.

Go read the Hatching Eggs 101, and the accompanying "Assisting Hatching Eggs" articles, multiple times, if you have to, to find out more about what goes on during these last few hours. This is the most critical time, and the hardest to have the most patience. Good luck with your hatch!
I have a staggered hatch so I have to keep turning the other one's. I'm keeping the humidity up. One of them already hatched by itself and its really messy and it has like a red sore looking thing on its belly. What is that?

Back
Top Bottom