Pekin Duck Club!

For instance, mine didn't lay until it warmed up as they were raised throughout the winter. Some of my friends' ducks laid sooner than 24-25 weeks due to the time of year they came into lay. Some laid much later... for instance, if they came into laying age just as fall/winter was starting and it was getting cold, they may wait until Spring to lay for the first time. The flip side of this is sometimes ducks will slow down on laying if it's extremely hot as well. So, if you're hitting extreme heat temps, they might wait for it to cool down just a little before they would start laying regularly. I believe 18 weeks is pretty much the earliest ducks would typically lay but 20-25 weeks is more common. Of course, these are all just guidelines. Some of my friends' ducks also stop laying when it's super hot during the summer, but my two girls have laid faithfully every day even through extreme heat waves this year!! Good girls! :) .

Ooooooo gotcha! Ok ! Thanks! They lay when they lay as far I'm concerned haha I have them for enjoyment not eggs or meat - eggs for family members are just a plus and it's like a "surprise"! When u find one. Lol I could care less if my ducks ever laid an egg - they are hilarious all on their own its worth having them around haha I'm just new to the egg laying thing so I was curious . And I like to be prepared ;)

She should lay before winter... how many babies do you have? Only one girl?
I have 4 pekins, 3 males, 1 female. I plan on getting rid of two, but fortunately haven't had a single problem with fighting (yet). They all cuddle up together and follow each other everywhere. Even so...still only planning on having a pair or a male with a few females if I can find some females.

Can someone send me advice. I got four ducklings. No one had any injuries that I noticed until a week or so ago. Npw one has a left foot that os turmed very funny. The "paddle" part of the foot os turned sideways (in) and sorts upwards and partially folded
He walks on his knee? Or should i say waddles? I tried the chicken boot to no avail. He seems to be happy, can get around, and gets his share of food. Bit with his knee constantly on the ground, what is that gonna do and is it too late for a bet to set it? What should I do
Suggestions are appreciated.
I

I have 4 pekins, 3 males, 1 female. I plan on getting rid of two, but fortunately haven't had a single problem with fighting (yet). They all cuddle up together and follow each other everywhere. Even so...still only planning on having a pair or a male with a few females if I can find some females.
thumbsup.gif

Can someone send me advice. I got four ducklings. No one had any injuries that I noticed until a week or so ago. Npw one has a left foot that os turmed very funny. The "paddle" part of the foot os turned sideways (in) and sorts upwards and partially folded
He walks on his knee? Or should i say waddles? I tried the chicken boot to no avail. He seems to be happy, can get around, and gets his share of food. Bit with his knee constantly on the ground, what is that gonna do and is it too late for a bet to set it? What should I do
Suggestions are appreciated.
I
Can you share some more information that might help us?
How old?
What are they eating?
Are you providing niacin?
Can you post a photo?
Thanks!!

For instance, mine didn't lay until it warmed up as they were raised throughout the winter. Some of my friends' ducks laid sooner than 24-25 weeks due to the time of year they came into lay. Some laid much later... for instance, if they came into laying age just as fall/winter was starting and it was getting cold, they may wait until Spring to lay for the first time. The flip side of this is sometimes ducks will slow down on laying if it's extremely hot as well. So, if you're hitting extreme heat temps, they might wait for it to cool down just a little before they would start laying regularly. I believe 18 weeks is pretty much the earliest ducks would typically lay but 20-25 weeks is more common. Of course, these are all just guidelines. Some of my friends' ducks also stop laying when it's super hot during the summer, but my two girls have laid faithfully every day even through extreme heat waves this year!! Good girls!
smile.png

Brewer's yeast will be just fine! Typically there is about 5mg niacin to 1 Tablespoon of brewer's yeast (you can check your label to make sure - 10mg per duck daily is a good guideline to try to meet), so I would do 1- 2 Tablespoons per day, per duck, mixed into their food. If they spill a lot of their feed, you can always wet it down to make sure the brewers yeast sticks with the feed.
I have 2 Cochin's that were purchased from a BYC member who states that they were laying. One was 3-5 per week the other 5pw. It's been since June 4 and they still have not laid and egg. They were born 5/12 so they are of age. Could what you are saying about the chicken's be the same for chickens?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if I can use GroGel plus B with ducklings? I was gonna get one for my chicks and was wondering if my ducks can use it too or do I need to get them something diffrent

Back
Top Bottom