Pekin Duck Club!

I think every duckling goes through this stage. Ours certainly did. Their instincts are starting to kick in and even though you have been caring for them all along you are suddenly looking very large and dangerous to them. Grab ahold of them one at a time sit on the floor on your knees, tuck them between your knees and lean over them. Hug them and talk softly to them. They will probably shake and carry on but eventually they will calm. Do it as many times a day as you can. Eventually they will begin to relax more around you. Butter (our Pekin) got to this point and you could visably see her shaking. After a while of lovey, gooey words she would calm down. Give them treats in a group and individually when holding them. Treats are the great equalizer with every critter I think. We can grab anyone of them now, Oh they put up a token dash for it but they take a few steps and stop. Kinda like whats the use...I know she is gonna get me but she won't hurt me. Then they just sit easily on my lap and go when they are tired of all the lovin.
 Not saying this is the only way to help....it is just what worked for us. 

Thank you so much for the advice. It worked!! I tried it yesterday when I brought them outside. They are so funny. When they are outside in the grass it's like they can slowly run. They run really fast and look like linebackers. It's like a burst of energy for 3 seconds. What kind of treats can they have now?

As the founding member of the Pekin Duck Club I would like to remind all members that its not ok to name call on any level. This goes for everyone. Abuse will not be tolerated. BYC will shut the club down for this kind of language/behaviour. That goes for pics as well. We have all worked to make a friendly group and will not tolerate abusive language, photos or behavior. I would like to see this thread and group continue and need everyone's cooperation to make the Pekin Duck Club a success! Thank you!

-Carrie

[/IMG]

Here are my babies 11 days old. Bonnie & Clyde

Thank you so much for the advice. It worked!! I tried it yesterday when I brought them outside. They are so funny. When they are outside in the grass it's like they can slowly run. They run really fast and look like linebackers. It's like a burst of energy for 3 seconds. What kind of treats can they have now?
YAY!!! Glad it is working. It's kinda like the switch goes off in their heads and everything above them is now scary. Their little burst are funny...especially when they use their winglets to try and run faster. You can give them some cucumber, watermelon (no seeds if at all possible), and dark greens. Cut the cucumber and greens small so they can eat it. I used to sprinkle a bit of grit on it when ours was young so they could break it up easier, don't know if it is actually necessary but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry. When ours first started going outside we would put a water tub out there and while they were swimming we would drop tiny pieces of grass in the water. They went cuckoo!! It was like crack. As they have grown each one has a treat they individually like. One loves cucumber, another- watermelon, another-bacon (yes bacon!), and the pekin- tomatoes. You may think I am crazy about the bacon but just remember they do eat fish, frogs,mice, bugs and other things they find...
Just remember they are treats, not food supplements. Ducks are creatures of habit so if you make the mistake of giving them treats everyday they will begin to expect it...vary the times and frequency.

YAY!!! Glad it is working. It's kinda like the switch goes off in their heads and everything above them is now scary. Their little burst are funny...especially when they use their winglets to try and run faster. You can give them some cucumber, watermelon (no seeds if at all possible), and dark greens. Cut the cucumber and greens small so they can eat it. I used to sprinkle a bit of grit on it when ours was young so they could break it up easier, don't know if it is actually necessary but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry. When ours first started going outside we would put a water tub out there and while they were swimming we would drop tiny pieces of grass in the water. They went cuckoo!! It was like crack. As they have grown each one has a treat they individually like. One loves cucumber, another- watermelon, another-bacon (yes bacon!), and the pekin- tomatoes. You may think I am crazy about the bacon but just remember they do eat fish, frogs,mice, bugs and other things they find...
Just remember they are treats, not food supplements. Ducks are creatures of habit so if you make the mistake of giving them treats everyday they will begin to expect it...vary the times and frequency.

Watch out for tomatoes... the red poops are horriffic!!!

We have 2 Pekins, Sweet and Sour. And 8 other ducks. Been a chicken man since I was a kid but love having ducks. Will Pekin's cross breed with runner ducks? We have two runner duck males. Mine seem fatter than the Aflac duck or the ones pictured here. Am I overfeeding them? One got scared when the dog had a fight with a raccoon that was trying to get the ducks. Sweet seems to have hurt his foot. He didnt move much for two days and still walks with a limp. (other than the usual one). Do many vets treat ducks? How do you get them to lay in the house, when they are ready? The 10 ducks never seem to leave their huddle, on the pond, in the house etc. Do they stay in boxes by themselves like chickens or would they rather lay where they can see each other? Do they all lay at roughly the same time? Is there a book or online info source recommended for more info on how to do Pekin and Runner ducks? Ill join the Pekin club!

i took a 4 foot plastic kids pool and buryied it in the ground fill it with water for my ducks. every once in a while i will find my ducks try to drag a chicken in for a dip. friends call em the quack pack.

i took a 4 foot plastic kids pool and buryied it in the ground fill it with water for my ducks. every once in a while i will find my ducks try to drag a chicken in for a dip. friends call em the quack pack.n
How do you clean it? I wanted to but I find my guys like to bring a bucket of mud in w/ them when they swim! lol Especially the water bucket. I can no longer pick up their pool and drain it as I could before I hit 50's. The back and hips no longer keep up w/ me! So now I've found this to be a great friend to me. I put a brick on the top of it to keep it in the water and then I sit back and play find the pea and by the time my oikos cup of yogurt, filled w/ peas are empty so is the pool. (approx. 7 min)

Back
Top Bottom