Pekin Duck Club!

The Pekin Duck Sweet was hurt somehow in a melee in which a raccon tried to attack them but the dog got the coon and the ducks who were on the pond at night, went into a panic over the big fight. Anyway something happened to the Pekin Duck and he/she cant seem to walk very well. He swims very well but gets tired and gets out and sleeps. The other Pekin, Sour is growing more. They are about 14 weeks old. They eat flock raiser feed, which is NOT medicated chick feed but both can eat it. They eat lots of watermelon and lettuce and whatever they are gobbling in the pond.
Yesterday, Sweet wasnt preening and seemed cold. But he preened today, but there is still something wrong with him. thanks for offer to help
Well, if you have the money, a vet would be a good idea - might be a fracture or something going on that you can't see. If that's not an option, I would just treat for the injury as best I could healthwise - increase the niacin, vitamin, and protein intake. Poly-vi-sol (without iron) - give a few drops into his beak. Add niacin to the water for a few weeks and maybe add some scrambled eggs, mealworms, or feeder fish to his diet for some extra protein. Other than that, just wait and see if he can heal on his own. Flock raiser is perfect for their feed - I'm just thinking maybe to supplement a little with the above items to assist in healing.

This is our weeble wobble...Jennifer. She is a voracious eater and a little lover girl. You can get a glimpse of Butter our Pekin behind her.
Awwww.... so cute.

Little Ying had her broken leg and with extra care like picking her up out of the nest boxes and moving her to the water, Niacin, and extra protein she eventually healed from her injury. It was bad to. She laid around all the time and hardly moved. that is just the way they heal. They take it easy and then bam one day they are ten times better. Good luck with your lil one.

My largest male pekin, Captain Donald Peck the first died on Thursday July 25th, of totally unknown causes. He had no cuts or anything, jst lying there dead, with a little bit of blood spilling out of his bill, beautiful, healthy happy 8 week old duck one day and dead duck the next
hit.gif
down to only three and I hate having odd numbers of animals it just cannot be done :(

Sorry for your duck loss. I also just lost a bird a few days ago. A chicken named Willow. She was an awesome chicken and super friendly, also died of unknown causes(I think stress related). And sadly just a few days prior to that I lost 4 young roosters during a night time predator attack. I had a week of wicked bad luck:(

If you were close Id give you one of my Pekins
hugs.gif

Aw :( That's so sad!!! I'm a first time bird owner, and totally niave thinking everyone was fine but I think it might have been a thunderstorm? I read ducks can get heart attacks form loud noises, so maybe ??? I don't know

I have two roosters that I didn't really want (sexing goof) I would give you one of those!!
hugs.gif

ok guys/gals I know this is not about Pekins but I have a prayer request. My mom got diagnosed Friday with 2 stage 4 cancers and was given only a little while left on this earth. I was hoping to get her as many prayers as i can. Even if you dont pray please keep her in your thoughts. God performs miracles everyday. Thank you in advance.
And I'm praying very hard for your mom. Jesus still performs miracles! Amen!

Hi there fellow duck owners :) My name is Michelle and I live in Ontario, Canada. My family and I are new to the feathered pet world as of this year and though we are LOVING it, I am having some anxiety about surviving the winter! We have 19 chickens, and 2 ducks; 1 pekin, Napoleon (though we are not 100% sure he is in fact a he), and 1 Rouen, Josephine (she is a girl!). I am wondering if anyone can give me a coles notes version of what they do to survive the winter in regards to ducks and their water! We have a lovely pool for them right now that they spend their days in, but once the snow flies, this won't be possible (unless we move them inside, which by the looks of it some of you pull off quite nicely!). To be truthful, if it would be less work we would consider bringing them inside, they get along quite well with our dog. Any insight would be great!

Thanks!

How old is Napoleon? When I got my two ducks in March we sexed them wrong. We assumed that the big, loud one who started quacking early was the boy and the little whispery peeper was the girl. Named them Billy and Beakie. Well now Billy has layed seven eggs this past week and "Beakie" is much bigger with a drake curl feather and a loud, drawn-out "Raaaaaaaaap!" like a dinosaur, so we renamed him "Raptor" lol. We realized we sexed them wrong when they were 2 1/2 months old after I had read about "quack sexing." Does your little Napoleon have a distinct, zazzy "quack," or still have a hollow sound to "his" voice? The female will have a short, high-pitched, distinct "quack" and the male will have undeveloped vocals for quite some time. A hollow peep is the best way to describe it until he matures, the same way a little boy will talk like a girl until puberty sets in. My mean little Raptor's drake vocals set-in at about 4 1/2 months and he also started biting my feet around that time. He gets worse and worse every day. I go out to feed the two of them or clean and refill their water bowls and he chases me and pecks and bites my toes. I'll have to scoot him away with my foot rather harshly at least 3-4 times before he finally goes away. If I run he will chase me and flap his wings to gain speed. He thinks he is protecting the female. I am very gentle with him but have found that since I have been taking a little bit of combative action against him he has gotten much worse. His bites are much harder and more forceful and he chases me all the way into the garage on some occasions. He made my toes bleed a couple of times. But he must be using that aggression against me to compensate in *other areas* where he is rather inadequate. For a week I have been collecting Billie's (new spelling!) eggs and incubating them just as they should be, at 100 degrees, and not a single one of these eggs, after days in the incubator, is showing any sign of being fertilized. No red dot, no veins, nothing. That Raptor must be mad because Billie-Beak isn't giving him beakie-loving or he is simply an inadequate male and so he wants to take it out on me
lol.png
Hahahahaha! He is fully mature as I have seen him out there zinging his anatomy around, not knowing what he's doing, obviously, because he can't even fertilize an egg, LOL.
I notice that he has very poor ability to maintain his position and posturing during mating, as Billie quickly and easily throws him off of her. He just flops right over after only a couple of seconds, and then the two of them run around and do their little "victory" dance as if something great just took place. I am just going to start eating the eggs that she lays as I have lost faith in the Raptor.

And I'm praying very hard for your mom. Jesus still performs miracles! Amen!
Thank you so much!

My Pekin duck at 2 months old
BEAUTIFUL!

We have seperated Ying again. Laffy had ripped all of her feathers out from her neck down her back and they were not letting her eat. I think a little time on her own getting bigger will be good for her.

Question!

In the past few days, my crew of five have learned where the pond is and are spending their days there. I put them back in their yard at night, with water and Flock Raiser. So my question is - can they eat enough from the pond to not need feed? The pond is large, and has tons of duckweed, minnows, and any other thing they might want. They are 5 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom