Pekin Duck Club!

It has been a while since I have logged on. I had lots of catching up to do! My 3 girls and 3 boys are doing great. Two of the hens have been laying for some time now, but not daily.
The third has not started laying yet. Could that be a problem?
They are all the same age (about 20-22 weeks). Why would two be laying and not the third?

Hi every one! Is been a long time since I signed on. Sally and Waddles are doing great! Sally laid her first eggs! She gave me one yesterday and one today. Has anyone else had their ducks lay in the water? They have free access to land and water and plenty of nesting materials. I can't tell if she is trying to nest on a bank that's near by and is too sloped so the egg rolls in the water or is she is laying in the water. I'm thinking the latter since the eggs been in the exact same spot both times. I made a nest and put her egg in it but I don't think she knows what to do. Also should her eggs be smaller at first? They are about the size of a chicken egg. The chicks are cooped so it's not one of theirs. Plus the only one of laying age is a banty. Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Hey!
frow.gif
Great news!

Sometimes my runners lay in their swimmy pan. Their first eggs ran a bit small. They are about jumbo chicken size most of the time.

I read some things and apparently laying in water is common. Everyone said to just pen them at night so the egg is accessible. I did that last night and gave them their own section of the coop with a nest area. she didn't lay in the nest but at least her egg wasn't in water this morning and it was easier to get to. I will just continue this system i think. They don't particularly like the loss of their freedom but they weren't distressed so it should work.

I'll be picking up some chicks that have just started to lay. They do have a boyfriend, do you think their eggs could be fertile? When does a drake and a cockerel stop firring blanks (so to speak). I'd like it if they could lay a few eggs that I could incubate!

It has been a while since I have logged on. I had lots of catching up to do! My 3 girls and 3 boys are doing great. Two of the hens have been laying for some time now, but not daily.
The third has not started laying yet. Could that be a problem?
They are all the same age (about 20-22 weeks). Why would two be laying and not the third?
Well, I went out this morning and found a tiny egg! I really think Praline has started laying. I am finally getting number 3. Skittles the first to lay has giving me doubles since she started. If I tried to hatch, would they survive? Can twins be hatched? Not sure?

Back
Top Bottom