Pekin Duck Club!

does anyone use fermented feed for their ducks? I am making a batch for my chickens and wondered if the health benefits could be the same for the ducks?

FF is wonderful for ducks, I've been using it for 15 months now they all love it, and love the pics and story about Albert.
love.gif

A few days ago my Jumbo Pekin drake started aggressively climbing onto my arm and grabbing onto my jacket sleeve with his bill when I tried to pet him. I wasn't sure what he was doing at first, but it very soon occurred to me that he was attempting to mount my arm, and he did this for a few seconds before I realized fully what he was doing and pulled away. When I pulled away he was very mad and started biting my hand and fingers. He must believe he has since "conquered" me as the Alpha bird of the flock, because his behavior toward me since that very day has shifted from sweet and cuddly to mean, aggressive and downright monstrous! He must think he's Big Bird, now! He chases me around the yard aggressively, now, hoping to mate, it appears, and chomps at my fingers with his bill (beak!) and it feels like a clothespin snapping at my fingers! Ugggghhh!!! He has become so awful, so quick! I used to be able to cuddle him and hold him, but now he wants to be the Alpha bird and boy what an experience these past few days have been! Looks like this little Bo-Khan boy will be just as bad as his predecessor, Raptor, who attacked me constantly, and who Bo-Khan was named in remembrance of. Bo, in Chinese, means "remembering relatives." Khan, with it's obvious connotation, refers to the warrior tendencies of these drakes! But anyway, I suppose Bo-Khan isn't my little Snow Bear anymore, as I have been calling him, and has come to reclaim his Name.

Last edited:
Several members have been able to re-establish a healthier more pleasant relationship with their hormonal boys, Miss Lydia being the first one to come to mind. Since I have not had to do this here, I will let those who have done it tell you the details.

I think largely it involves gently but firmly either pinning him down with your hand on his back for a while, or picking him up and carrying him around for a while - both demonstrate that you are bigger and badder. As I said, let someone who did it tell you how it works.

A few days ago my Jumbo Pekin drake started aggressively climbing onto my arm and grabbing onto my jacket sleeve with his bill when I tried to pet him. I wasn't sure what he was doing at first, but it very soon occurred to me that he was attempting to mount my arm, and he did this for a few seconds before I realized fully what he was doing and pulled away. When I pulled away he was very mad and started biting my hand and fingers. He must believe he has since "conquered" me as the Alpha bird of the flock, because his behavior toward me since that very day has shifted from sweet and cuddly to mean, aggressive and downright monstrous! He must think he's Big Bird, now! He chases me around the yard aggressively, now, hoping to mate, it appears, and chomps at my fingers with his bill (beak!) and it feels like a clothespin snapping at my fingers! Ugggghhh!!! He has become so awful, so quick! I used to be able to cuddle him and hold him, but now he wants to be the Alpha bird and boy what an experience these past few days have been! Looks like this little Bo-Khan boy will be just as bad as his predecessor, Raptor, who attacked me constantly, and who Bo-Khan was named in remembrance of. Bo, in Chinese, means "remembering relatives." Khan, with it's obvious connotation, refers to the warrior tendencies of these drakes! But anyway, I suppose Bo-Khan isn't my little Snow Bear anymore, as I have been calling him, and has come to reclaim his Name.
Boy does this bring back memories, flash back to 2011 we had a lil duckling hatch and mama didn't want anything to do with it, so of course we brought it inside and raised it, everything was so much fun and so precious even when we found out our baby was a drake, then he got to be 5 months old and wow what a difference a month made, I couldn't turn my back on him without him leaping through the air and landing on my back, if I sat down he'd jump on my leg and if I tried to pet him he would bite. We'll I was devastated came in and got on BYC and cried about my baby, some said kill him a bad drake and he'll never be any different, other told me to treat him like another drake would to get him to realize I am alpha drake not him. So the training began, every time he would come at me I'd pick him up and toss him in the pool he's climb right out and come again I'd lay him out flat on the ground [on his belly] hold him there till he stopped squirming sometimes he would waddle off other times he would come right back and I'd do it all over again other times I'd be the aggressor and come at him and make him move out of the way or act like I was going to get him. I would even take the broom with me and if he started anything I'd sweep him out of the way and keep on walking. but I learned not to try to cuddle him and Not to put my fingers or any part of my body where he could bite me. Now he is 2.5 yrs old and I couldn't ask for a sweeter drake, he still likes to come in for visits and always comes to say hello in the morning and I can pick him up and cuddle him and pet him all I want. He is something else and is the dominant drake here among the other 3 drakes and the gander also. he has 3 girls of his own and can have his pick of any of the others if he so choses. If you want to have one like I do then you need to start now in training him that he is not the Big Bird you are, I am not advocating being abusive at all just showing him as another drake would that you are not going to tolerate his hormonal ways. It can be done.

Just wanted to chime in and thank you all for your postings! I enjoy reading and learning from them. I have 4 wonderful Peking Girls and when I have had a concern or a question - there always seems to be some guidance (& fun) from your postings. So, I finally got brave and decided to join in. Having never owned ducks before your Club is a great wealth of information and fun! I LOVE all the pics! Keep Posting & Thanks again!

Welcome two webbed feet !!!

I am very new to ducking as well and couldn't have done it without the knowledge of this group. I love it!! Everyone is super helpful and informative. I feel so much more confident with this group behind me in caring for my new family members.

Your girls are beautiful. Lucky you.

I have not had this problem with any of our drakes. We do have a aggressive rooster. When he tries to flog me I catch me by the feet and hold him upside down for a couple of minutes. Then I bring him upright and hold him up close and kind of tight to show him that he is not the big dog around here. Might work with the drake also.

I have not had this problem with any of our drakes. We do have a aggressive rooster. When he tries to flog me I catch me by the feet and hold him upside down for a couple of minutes. Then I bring him upright and hold him up close and kind of tight to show him that he is not the big dog around here. Might work with the drake also.

I appreciate the input :> Well, unlike chickens, ducks cannot be caught and held by their legs because they will break or get injured. Especially the breed I have, the Jumbo Pekin, who have such great, bulky body weight and not enough leg to support it, so it seems. I find myself having to "shoe" this boy a lot, and will soon take some tips I have learned from here about holding him down for some time. I'll see what progress I can manage, but it isn't going to be easy with this guy! Thank you for the input, though :>

I appreciate the input :> Well, unlike chickens, ducks cannot be caught and held by their legs because they will break or get injured. Especially the breed I have, the Jumbo Pekin, who have such great, bulky body weight and not enough leg to support it, so it seems. I find myself having to "shoe" this boy a lot, and will soon take some tips I have learned from here about holding him down for some time. I'll see what progress I can manage, but it isn't going to be easy with this guy! Thank you for the input, though :>
Yes, I had not considered the weight of your drake. I think your on the right track though, the key I believe is to show him your are the boss. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom