Pekin Duck Club!

Okay. They won't be free ranging so I'll have to get my husband to set up a second pen.

I know these are not Pekins, but maybe some one can help...

After I posted my question, a friend sent me a text to let me know Tractor Supply has their chicks in. I went to check out their ducklings, and they are being sold as Assorted Straight Run Only. I wasn't going to bother with buying assorted, but then I noticed this poor little duckling with a limp. I don't know what's wrong, which is why I'm posting. Maybe some one has an idea of what to do. I struck a deal with the TS manager and bought two more ducklings and got Gimpy for free to try and save her from a worse fate. (I tried sexing, and I didn't want to hurt her leg so I didn't try too hard looking...)

Does any one have any suggestions to help it grow normally without any gimp to her step?
0.jpg
can be a lot of things unfortunately. are her legs splayed out? if so you may want to make a splint to bring them together in a more natural stance. may be unrelated but i noticed it is crested. the crest can lead to several "defects" and leg weakness is one of them. go ahead and start providing it with some niacin. you can use brewers yeast if you can't find just niacin. just make sure to stay away from flush free and slow release. the niacin is good for all ducks and aids in their development. crested issues affected one of ours and she still wobbles and stumbles around but is very independent.
just a thought anyways, maybe someone with more experience can give better info.

My first ducks were Pekins and I got to say they are by far my favorite breed of duck. I was in the market for a couple of muscovys but couldn't find any in my area at the time so I ended up going with the only ad for ducklings that I could find, which just happened to be Pekins! I have had many Pekins, but as of now I only have 3 Pekins, Aflac, Kelso, and their son, Pedro. I did have Pedro's brother Bon Jovi as well but he just passed away recently. I've had many

Here's some pictures!

Baby pictures!

I love baby ducklings!

Looks like a splayed leg. It happens sometimes when they are on a slick surface when hatched and cant get a good footing. I have a pekin that walks like this. She is an adult now. She waddles a bit more then others but that doesn't seem to impact her quality of life. She mates, has little ones, swims like the dickens!

I would give her lots of extra tlc but ya need to not have her alone. At least one other duckling with her. Enough to keep her company and snuggle with but so she wont be over run by a bunch of other little peep-n-squirts who tend to get too rowdy. What is she walking on? She would prob do best on fine pine bedding. You can get it at tractor supply.

I would love to join the Pekin Duck Club!
My name is Nicole Kirsh. I am a mother of 4, kids, 2 GSD, 1 cat, 4 hens, 2 Pekin Ducks.
I love my ducks since the day I got them. They, Daisy and Donald, are turning 1 this spring. I have plenty of questions. Like I'm curious to when Daisy will lay her first egg?

I would love to join the Pekin Duck Club!
My name is Nicole Kirsh. I am a mother of 4, kids, 2 GSD, 1 cat, 4 hens, 2 Pekin Ducks.
I love my ducks since the day I got them. They, Daisy and Donald, are turning 1 this spring. I have plenty of questions. Like I'm curious to when Daisy will lay her first egg?
My females hatched last July, they have been laying for 5 or 6 weeks now.

Just wanted to give every one an update on the little gimpy White Crested I named Nemo. I got some Niacin and continued providing Probiotics and Electrolytes. She's doing much better! She can get around a lot easier, and she loves loves loves to swim. This was the first time I put her in the tub, so I stayed with her to make sure she didn't get tired. The water was luke-warm. As soon as I realized she was getting tired, I drained out enough water for her to put weight on her legs, but still be able to swim if she wanted to. I'm thinking the biggest is a Pekin, and the third may be a Bali. Do you think I'm right? I didn't know if TSC carried Bali ducklings, but I thought I would ask... The tuff on its head isn't as big as Nemo's. Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions. I even bought Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.
woot.gif

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom