Pekin Duck Club!

They could be egg bound, and that is serious. If you have a vet, that would be best. In the meantime and in any case, get them into a tub with lukewarm water and let them float around for an hour or so.

Are they getting calcium supplements? Like oyster shell, layer feed? I would start them on calcium gluconate 23% (available at many feed stores or online), 1 teaspoon per half cup of water added to their food.

yes they are getting a calcium supplement I will give the tub another try and the vet didn't find any eggs but then I think the vet that was recommended is a quack anyway mine was a vacation and the girls have a appointment the second of april for their yearly check up an vac but thank you for the in put I will give that a try

I will be adding another female Pekin, 3 yrs old, to my Pekin trio, two females and one male. Mine are less then 1/2 year old.

This duck is a rehome that lost her partner several months ago.

We have a very large yard and lawn that the ducks run around on. In it we also have two Mallard type ducks, 1 male and 1 female.

The Pekins stick together and the Mallard type ducks stick together.

What is the best way to help integrate the new rehome Pekin female with the rest of the Pekins already at my house?

But her in s small pen right inside your area. They will get to know eachother slowly wo fighting

X2

no unfortunately the girls aren't hiding the eggs they will walk a couple feet then stop and lay down then repeat the process I really don't know what think and one of the girls is limping now

Are they both acting the exact same way? Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Mine are doing this to get the drakes attention. Did the Vet give you any ideas what it could be? Are they eating and otherwise acting normal?

HELP YA'LL!!! My pekin girl woke up the other day with a horrible caked up eye and today she is wobbling around and blood is coming from her nose! No feed stores are open right now. Please help me!
Oh my, I wish I had some advice for you on this. How is she doing now? Has she gotten into something that she shouldn't have that you can think of? Have you posted in the emergency section? Please do if not, praying your girl gets well.

HELP YA'LL!!! My pekin girl woke up the other day with a horrible caked up eye and today she is wobbling around and blood is coming from her nose! No feed stores are open right now. Please help me!

Sounds like an infection. Give her half an hour in a lukewarm tub and keep her in a relatively warm (45 to 65 degrees) safe place afterward. Make a saline solution half teaspoon salt in a cup of boiling water. Let the water cool to room temperature. Dribble that over her eye and nares. Do the saline four times a day. If you can get a vet's help do so. She may need antibiotics.

yes they are both acting the same way as far as walking a few feet then stopping and laying down but only one is limping and yes they are both eating and drinking water and swimming in the pool when they want to but other wise the girls act like they are nesting or something and no the so called vet didn't give me no ideas as to what it might be but they will be going to see their vet on the second of april for their yearly check up

yes they are both acting the same way as far as walking a few feet then stopping and laying down but only one is limping and yes they are both eating and drinking water and swimming in the pool when they want to but other wise the girls act like they are nesting or something and no the so called vet didn't give me no ideas as to what it might be but they will be going to see their vet on the second of april for their yearly check up
They may have an infection, egg yolk peritonitis, be egg bound. All are serious. If it's egg binding, increasing calcium intake - I use 23% calcium gluconate, a teaspoon per half cup of water added to their food - and giving them time to swim in lukewarm water deep enough to float in could help. I had to take one duck last year to the vet to correct a prolapse and remove an unlaid egg.

Here is a story of a duck with e.y.p. - it was touch and go for a while.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/833809/urgent-soft-shelled-eggs-and-a-lethargic-duck

Back
Top Bottom