Pekin Duck Club!

Noticed my pekin had a little bit of dried blood on his/her bill. It washed off while I let them in the pool to cool off a bit. It's not bleeding anymore, but there seems to slight crack. Should I put anything on it??? He/ she is over a month old. I only have neosporin on hand nothing for animals tho.

I would put the neosporin on, as long as it does not have painkiller. I might actually make a smallish container (pint) of water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and let him dip his bill in that, then apply the ointment. And do that two or three times a day for the next few days.

I would put the neosporin on, as long as it does not have painkiller.  I might actually make a smallish container (pint) of water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and let him dip his bill in that, then apply the ointment.  And do that two or three times a day for the next few days.

Thanks their waterers have ACV already in it that they splash around in. I'll get some neosporin on it! Wish I knew how it happened tho. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello all! I haven't been active for awhile
1f44e.png
sorry about that been uber busy . But as some of you know I have 3 adult pekins - Charlotte - webber & cookie - I added 2 ducklings about 2.5 months ago on Pekin - lucky and a khaki Campbell - Louie . Also added 8 new layer chicks to my 12 barred rocks - the new babies are about a month old and are various winter layers. Still have the 2 geese lady & Lucy too
1f60a.png

However. As of last night Charlotte has vanished
1f61e.png
1f629.png
I went to lock them up for the night and counted them up and nope she wasn't there
1f633.png
counted again and again then searched by flash light for hrs and then this morning everywhere . No feathers no blood just GONE. I'm so upset. We've always free ranged w no issues so plz no bashing my adult girls are over a year old . I just can't believe there's no trace of her... Anywhere. None. She was my biggest Pekin . And she's still gone now so it's been 24 hrs so at this point I know she's gone forever
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f625.png
1f62d.png

My other 2 adult pekins - her "sisters" have been calling for her all day . One - webber- had been waddling laps around my house all day searching and then she just went and sat in the barn by herself - it's so sad . She is just sitting there on the nest they shared .
RIP Charlotte wherever you went
1f494.png
1f614.png

same thing happened to me but it was with my red jungle fowl and she had 2 babies a white rock mixed with buff orpington and an rir mixed with a bo and one night i closed the shed she was in and the next morning here babies were gone and here tail was missing and there was no blood or feathers nothing i searched for 5 hours litterally i dont knw wat got here but im sooo mad

1f44e.png
sorry about that been uber busy . But as some of you know I have 3 adult pekins - Charlotte - webber & cookie - I added 2 ducklings about 2.5 months ago on Pekin - lucky and a khaki Campbell - Louie . Also added 8 new layer chicks to my 12 barred rocks - the new babies are about a month old and are various winter layers. Still have the 2 geese lady & Lucy too
1f60a.png

1f61e.png
1f629.png
I went to lock them up for the night and counted them up and nope she wasn't there
1f633.png
counted again and again then searched by flash light for hrs and then this morning everywhere . No feathers no blood just GONE. I'm so upset. We've always free ranged w no issues so plz no bashing my adult girls are over a year old . I just can't believe there's no trace of her... Anywhere. None. She was my biggest Pekin . And she's still gone now so it's been 24 hrs so at this point I know she's gone forever
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f625.png
1f62d.png

My other 2 adult pekins - her "sisters" have been calling for her all day . One - webber- had been waddling laps around my house all day searching and then she just went and sat in the barn by herself - it's so sad . She is just sitting there on the nest they shared .
1f494.png
1f614.png

I'm so sorry to hear about Charlotte! I hope she is just out and about somewhere but with it being more than 24 hours I guess you're right that she won't come back.
hugs.gif

Even though they have been free ranging in a known area it can still be that some predator got her, as it has been a very long and hard winter on all animals, especially the predators. So they might just have come too close saw her and took her away... I can feel your pain and can only offer a cyber hug for you!
Just hope that your other girls will not grief too hard and long, and maybe with the new ducklings (not so little anymore) they will get over the incident fast...

We have 3 right now. 2 possible females 1 possible male all about 9 weeks old. They are so cute but refuse to be separated. They are noisy and dirty, but did I mention cute? We enjoy just sitting out back and watch them quack around the backyard, swim in the pool, and eating the tree. Unfortunately they don't like us too much. We have to herd them in at night and also to catch them to put them in the pool.

1f44e.png
1f60a.png

1f61e.png
1f629.png
1f633.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f625.png
1f62d.png

1f494.png
1f614.png
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom