Pekin Duck Club!

does anyone know how old them guys are. Ive had them for a month or so.... but not sure how old they are

This may seem like a stupid question, but I have to ask anyway. My pekins are now about 5 weeks old. I am mixing about 1/2 teaspoon per cup of grit in with their feed (Dumor chick starter).My question is, how much should I be feeding them each day? I have 3 and they seem to be eating non stop. It's like if I continue to feed them, they will continue to eat. There isn't a particularly fat one, or a hog, they all eat the same amount. Should I cut it down? The also get fresh veggies, like cucumber and asparagus.( Fresh water is always available.) How much is too much? Thank you!

They are growing rapidly inside and out. I would continue the 24/7 food and water till they are ten to twelve weeks old at least, and then only take food away overnight.

Do watch out for signs of overweight, as that can be a big strain on their legs. But if no one is overweight, I would keep feeding what they will eat of high-nutrient food, and then start to taper off once they have matured, perhaps five months begin slowing down.

@ Amiga, thank you so much! They are quite the eaters and it seems I can't satisfy their hunger, lol! My 2 rouins are quite the opposite. I will just keep on feeding!
wink.png

My runners are over four years old now, and their appetites fluctuate with weather, egg laying, how much time they get to forage, and the season. Just when I think I know how much feed they eat in a month, that changes. Right now they are plowing through about a half a pound each per day. But they are laying, also. And yes, they spill some. But not that much!

This may seem like a stupid question, but I have to ask anyway. My pekins are now about 5 weeks old. I am mixing about 1/2 teaspoon per cup of grit in with their feed (Dumor chick starter).My question is, how much should I be feeding them each day? I have 3 and they seem to be eating non stop. It's like if I continue to feed them, they will continue to eat. There isn't a particularly fat one, or a hog, they all eat the same amount. Should I cut it down? The also get fresh veggies, like cucumber and asparagus.( Fresh water is always available.) How much is too much? Thank you!

I leave food 24/7 till about 2mths of age.. then i slowly start to wean off for overnight, my pekin now have nothing @ night but have free choice access to feed and forage all day into evening.
smile.png

Last edited:
I give mine food 24/7 until they are around 8 weeks old. Adults I feed 1/2 cup each twice a day. My drakes free range 24/7 and my hens free range during the day. I believe they would eat constantly though.

Back
Top Bottom