Pekin Duck Club!

Has anyone had any luck hatching pekin eggs naturally?  I  usually just remove the eggs and sell them but am thinking I may leave a couple for her to sit on.  Silly question but... will she just keep laying a new egg each day in the nest?  How long will it take for them to hatch?  I thought I read somewhere that Pekin's don't make the best parents?

She will keep laying eggs until she has reached her nest egg capacity (usually anywhere from 6-20 eggs). Then she should start sitting and not leaving the nest very often. They take about 29 days to hatch.

If she kicks out eggs that are no good. Somehow they know which ones are good and which aren't. Just in their nature. And usually Pekins aren't getting broody. And they supposedly don't make good parents but haven't had that experience yet. Ours shares a nest with our Rouen girl ;)

I'd probably do the 1100 if there was something more going on. If the ducks were just an add-on.
Took my brother back to Philly. Brother wanted to go back so badly. Brother has no place to live and no job. Great decision on his part. While he was out there we had somebody who wanted two rabbits we have been trying to rehome for months. In turn she traded us 5 silkies. LOL

My Perkins they are the yellow ones and the kennels are to put or block them in at night so that raccoons don't get them

Last edited:
Adorable pics. I have a Daisy too. Her mate is Albert. He seems to be wearing her out, mating her 1-2 times a day and she looks tired. I was looking for another female and think I have finally found one the same age. I will put them in the same area but fence between them for a few days. Anything else to make the transition smoother? I am nervous they may fight.

Drakes are really hard on the females. I had two females and now only have one. The back of her neck is almost completely bald from where he grabs her. Do they make any kind of head/neck wear for the ducks that protects the females necks? With only one female I am worried she is just going to get to much attention from the male. He is so sweet but he is a Horney little bugger.

Back
Top Bottom