Pekin Duck Club!

Its a lot of work. I have made it a little easier finding new ways to manage it. The duck poop is so thick that even at 125 gallons if I don't change the water out every 5 or 6 days it becomes foul. I got a whole filter system I paid 100 dollars for but it was useless in keeping the pond clean. I was using 5 gallon buckets to empty the pond by watering all my plants and garden with the water but it was back breaking trudging those buckets to other plants in the garden. I got a pond pump with the filter system and I attached a piece of garden hose to it. Now I can walk around and water the plants with the pump on using the hose. Much less back breaking but much more time consuming. It takes about an hour for 3/4 of the pond to be emptied. Then I go in with a flexible bucket and get the mud and rest of the water out manually. I wash the sides down with regular water and a scrub brush and get rid of that water too. When I think its clean enough I refill it. I am a 55 year old woman and this is no easy task, but its worth it when I see how happy the ducks are to have the water clean. Also, living in florida I get quite a bit of rain here so I attached some gutter to the roof and have it set up so that it will flow into the pond when it rains to overflow it and add clean water naturally. This saves me a day or two of having to actually empty the pond and start over. I have some pics on my cell phone. I will try to come back here and share them with you.

Its a lot of work.  I have made it a little easier finding new ways to manage it.   The duck poop is so thick that even at 125 gallons if I don't change the water out every 5 or 6 days it becomes foul. I got a whole filter system I paid 100 dollars for but it was useless in keeping the pond clean.    I was using 5 gallon buckets to empty the pond by watering all my plants and garden with the water but it was back breaking trudging those buckets to other plants in the garden.   I got a pond pump  with the filter system and I attached a piece of garden hose to it.  Now I can walk around and water the plants with the pump on using the hose.  Much less back breaking but much more time consuming.  It takes about an hour for 3/4 of the pond to be emptied.  Then I go in with a flexible bucket and get the mud and rest of the water out  manually.  I wash the sides down with regular water and a scrub brush and get rid of that water too.  When I think its clean enough I refill it.  I am a 55 year old woman and this is no easy task, but its worth it when I see how happy the ducks are to have the water clean.  Also, living in florida I get quite a bit of rain here so I attached some gutter to the roof and have it set up so that it will flow into the pond when it rains to overflow it and add clean water naturally.   This saves me a day or two of having to actually empty the pond and start over.   I have some pics on my cell phone.  I will try to come back here and share them with you. 

I have a horrible habit of spoiling all my babies. I have a relationship with the local fruit stand and I get lettuce for the ducks for every day as this is the only treat they love by trading chicken and duck eggs. They also trade me food for the chickens too. I love to be able to give them goodies every day if I can. The ducks are so entertaining. I see some people eat them too. I mean I get it. BUT... I love these little guys like they were the family dog or cat. My neighbors love them too.

Last edited:
Lovely pics! and a Seb! ooooh so nice! i want one of those.. maybe next year.

Thanks, it has become my evening pass time before all the ducks and chickens go in their coops for the night to sit on my tree bench swing and watch them. I scatter scratch grain around me as a treat also to get them to warm up to me.
I LOVE the sebbie goose, he/she acts like a rooster with the ducks, sticks with them honks at any danger and corals them into their house when it's time to go in for the night. I am SO glad I made the decision to give it a try.
Sadly the ducks and goose were 4 months old when I got them so I don't have that "pet" everyone is talking about but come spring I am thinking about trying to hatch 1 or 2 pekins and raise them as "pets" or will it not work because of the other ducks? Will they just go with the other ducks and forget me?

Thanks, it has become my evening pass time before all the ducks and chickens go in their coops for the night to sit on my tree bench swing and watch them. I scatter scratch grain around me as a treat also to get them to warm up to me.
I LOVE the sebbie goose, he/she acts like a rooster with the ducks, sticks with them honks at any danger and corals them into their house when it's time to go in for the night. I am SO glad I made the decision to give it a try.
Sadly the ducks and goose were 4 months old when I got them so I don't have that "pet" everyone is talking about but come spring I am thinking about trying to hatch 1 or 2 pekins and raise them as "pets" or will it not work because of the other ducks? Will they just go with the other ducks and forget me?
In my experience, it is all up to the duck, as long as you spend time and dote on the duck. But if you want a house duck, who will only have eyes for you, then you are the flock. Might want to consider whether you want them to identify with you (placing responsibility on you to be their flock), or have them more happily integrate with the other ducks.

In my experience, it is all up to the duck, as long as you spend time and dote on the duck. But if you want a house duck, who will only have eyes for you, then you are the flock. Might want to consider whether you want them to identify with you (placing responsibility on you to be their flock), or have them more happily integrate with the other ducks.

I don't want a house duck, what I am wanting is a duck that I can raise to be like a pet but happily integrate with my other ducks but maybe still seek me out for attention from time to time. Is that possible?

I think it is possible. Elf, Zwei, sometimes Acht will come over for pets. None of my runners are afraid of me, they will all gather round in a tight group if I am digging in the mulch or offering treats.

Back
Top Bottom