Pekin Duck Club!

I have had my pekin since last March. She just started laying a week ago!!! I have eaten some of the eggs, haven't gotten sick, and feel that they are quite a bit more filling than chicken eggs. Even the whites are richer and more filling. Go figure! The greatest thing though is that Ducky has just fallen in love with my dog, Wendell! He is an Ozzie cattle dog--very active, and he has pretty much ignored her since she was a chick. But lately, she follows Wendell around, quacking like crazy. It is so cute, I can't stand it. Wendell even chases her around, "tagging" her with his paw. Nothing rough. She still adores him! I am so grateful to see this, as it somehow makes my world a better place.

She really adores him!

someone please help I don't know what to do I have 8 baby ducks 1 was jerking its neck back and forth so I thought it was choking or something (turns out it wasn't choking) but I put it along with the rest of the baby ducks in the bathtub with its food and water they ate they drank so I put them back and now ALL of them are jerking their necks side to side. are they ok? is it something in the food? any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

S
I have had my pekin since last March. She just started laying a week ago!!! I have eaten some of the eggs, haven't gotten sick, and feel that they are quite a bit more filling than chicken eggs. Even the whites are richer and more filling. Go figure! The greatest thing though is that Ducky has just fallen in love with my dog, Wendell! He is an Ozzie cattle dog--very active, and he has pretty much ignored her since she was a chick. But lately, she follows Wendell around, quacking like crazy. It is so cute, I can't stand it. Wendell even chases her around, "tagging" her with his paw. Nothing rough. She still adores him! I am so grateful to see this, as it somehow makes my world a better place. She really adores him!
she imprinted on your dog. My first duck did the same thing with my Pitt bull. I have a male duck that is constantly bullying my dog. He grabs her jowls and pokes her legs and butt. I am constantly telling him Lunar Ray leave the dog alone. Then I pick him up and hug him and ask him why do you have to pick on the dog. He is thinking he is defending the females. My dog is a great sport with him. Once in a while she will pounce him but is very gentle considering.

Of course you are right. But the weird part is this: I always thought that imprinting occurred as the hatchling set eyes on its first image. That's why they so often imprint on the human who is raising them. But in my duck's case, she went for months without any visible relationship with my dog. Only six-weeks ago did she start following him around. Finally when she got so close (while he was ignoring her) that she pecked his thigh, and that set him off. "Nobody pecks my thigh, duck!" And he was off--chasing her around. Nowadays, he chases her just for the sheer joy of it. Yesterday he actually put his mouth around her neck. All that did was to put his saliva on her neck, and get it dirty. Wendell has the softest mouth I have ever seen in a dog. So now, they are great pals. I know this site is for pekins, but Wendell is just so handsome, I have to post one more portrait of him.
Thanks.

I have had my pekin since last March. She just started laying a week ago!!! I have eaten some of the eggs, haven't gotten sick, and feel that they are quite a bit more filling than chicken eggs. Even the whites are richer and more filling. Go figure! The greatest thing though is that Ducky has just fallen in love with my dog, Wendell! He is an Ozzie cattle dog--very active, and he has pretty much ignored her since she was a chick. But lately, she follows Wendell around, quacking like crazy. It is so cute, I can't stand it. Wendell even chases her around, "tagging" her with his paw. Nothing rough. She still adores him! I am so grateful to see this, as it somehow makes my world a better place.

She really adores him!

Typical Pekin always looking for water lol

We

We do have heat lamps in their houses as we live in northern WI and last winter was just brutal, even on our ducks. If this winter will be the same or worse I'll be glad to have heat lamps again! But in Texas I would not worry about that. It won't get anywhere near 0F or negatives there often as far as I know.

I am sure you know this but be careful! not only are they a fire hazard but acclimatize birds to temps that if the hydro(lamp) were to go could cause serious concern, ensure you have a backup plan. I am in Canada, while not the coldest part, i do know cold.

Of course you are right. But the weird part is this: I always thought that imprinting occurred as the hatchling set eyes on its first image. That's why they so often imprint on the human who is raising them. But in my duck's case, she went for months without any visible relationship with my dog. Only six-weeks ago did she start following him around. Finally when she got so close (while he was ignoring her) that she pecked his thigh, and that set him off. "Nobody pecks my thigh, duck!" And he was off--chasing her around. Nowadays, he chases her just for the sheer joy of it. Yesterday he actually put his mouth around her neck. All that did was to put his saliva on her neck, and get it dirty. Wendell has the softest mouth I have ever seen in a dog. So now, they are great pals. I know this site is for pekins, but Wendell is just so handsome, I have to post one more portrait of him.
Thanks.
Wendell is quite the handsome dog! As long as he knows not to get carried away playing - that ducks are "babies." That was the word my mom used with me to tell me to be gentle and careful, whether it was a human baby or some breakable object. I think your duckie girl is growing up, and may be falling in love. Just a possibility, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom