Pekin Duck Club!

After I lost one of my females to Rectal Prolapse I introduced a new female with my existing female and darak, my drake was horrible to her. He had her neck raw from attacking her and having his way with her. I tried very hard to protect her but it was difficult. I have a divided yard and part of it is fenced in. I put them all in that area where it was easy to monitor them and put a hair tie around my drakes bill. He still tried to be very aggressive with her physically but was unable to bite her. I monitored the whole thing and only left it on about 5 or 6 minutes each time. By about the third time I was going to put it on him, he mellowed out and accepted her without all the violence. I know this may not be a conventional way of getting them to get along. I never left them while the hair tie was on his bill or kept it on for a long time, so please don't think I was being cruel to him. I was not. I love my drake, he is a character and actually my most friendly duck to people that I have. He does attack my pit bull though but that is another story. Anyhow it worked and I thought I would share.

It doesn't sound cruel. I'm glad it worked for you. I'm having the same problem with my Pekin drake. I received 2 Blue Swedes, a Buff and a Pekin...all females. For some reason he doesn't like the female Pekin and chases her away from his "group", the food, the water. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

I have a question about Pekin behaviour. I don't have any but a friend does and he entertains me nonstop about her. Well, when he's stooped to her level petting her and she's facing him, she starts quivering and then she kinda lunges at him and snakes her neck and upper body up and over his shoulder quite a bit. It's not aggressive as far as he can tell. And she does it to the small dog he has. Any thoughts?

I have a question about Pekin behaviour. I don't have any but a friend does and he entertains me nonstop about her. Well, when he's stooped to her level petting her and she's facing him, she starts quivering and then she kinda lunges at him and snakes her neck and upper body up and over his shoulder quite a bit. It's not aggressive as far as he can tell. And she does it to the small dog he has. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a duck hug to me. One of my guys would put his neck over my kids shoulder when they hugged him. He did not seek out those hugs though and just put up with them.

Back
Top Bottom