Pekin Duck Club!

Hello everyone! First time duck owner here. I have raised chickens before but I just got my first 3 pekin ducks about a month ago. Right now I have the 3 pekin females as well as 13 baby chicks. They are all the same age and are in the brooder together and I plan on moving them all out to the coop in another
week or 2. We are almost finished converting an old stable into the coop and I am wondering what, if anything I need to do specifically for the ducks in the new coop? We will have the nipple waterer in the coop and a pool out in the run, nesting boxes, feeder, roost for the chickens. I know ducks don't roost like chickens so where and what type of place should I have for the ducks to sleep? A thing else I need to to do for the ducks?

Ducks need a water bucket deep enough for them to dunk their heads in to ran eyes and nostrils. There are several homemade ideas (cutting a hole in an empty ice cream or butter tub) that will reduce the mess and water waste but you will never have a clean coop with ducks! Lol.

They are not called waterfowl for a reason, and they simply love splashing and playing in it too. You can even try to have a catch basin under the tubs, but again, it usually don't help much. Yet they need it so there will be a mess regardless.

You can build them a house and lock them up at night (they're creatures of habit and OCD) that way you won't have a problem later down the road when they're bigger and need to settle down for night time. Plus, it's the best predator proofing for them.

About predators: I hope you do have some dug in fencing and bird betting to protect Ur babies during the day roaming hours?

And also, you should not put ducks to live outside unless they're fully feathered and the temps dont go below 50F during the night. If they're not fully feathered yet, they need a certain temp and heat source to stay warm until they are fully feathered. That would usually be between 6-8 weeks of age.

Hope this helps a bit!

Hello everyone! First time duck owner here. I have raised chickens before but I just got my first 3 pekin ducks about a month ago. Right now I have the 3 pekin females as well as 13 baby chicks. They are all the same age and are in the brooder together and I plan on moving them all out to the coop in another
week or 2. We are almost finished converting an old stable into the coop and I am wondering what, if anything I need to do specifically for the ducks in the new coop? We will have the nipple waterer in the coop and a pool out in the run, nesting boxes, feeder, roost for the chickens. I know ducks don't roost like chickens so where and what type of place should I have for the ducks to sleep? A thing else I need to to do for the ducks?

I have a kitty pool for mine and they love it they clean and swim in it

you can make a nesting spot out of totes you just cut a hole in them but 99% of the time the ducks will bed where you put them up at so if you have a house for them and you start putting them there they will eventuly go in on there own and all you have to do is lock them up

ducks are wonderful at knowing where there home is one time we had walk or hearded the duck up to my pond and every last one came right back to where there home was and that was a good5-10 acres

Heya! Just a quick question. My pekin gal, Waffles, has been laying an egg a day since October. She took a break for a couple weeks when we moved her to our place in September, but her previous owner said she had been laying an egg a day before that. She is 2-3 years old. I'm just wondering if it is normal for pekins to lay this much, and all through the winter. I know there's no way she's gonna pump out an egg 365 days a year. She has to take a break sometime. Maybe her schedule is messed up? Just curious ;]

Last edited:
I haven't found a club yet so I figured I would start my own! Pekin duck owners unite! Please feel free to share stories, pictures, breed information and most of all, have fun chatting with others about the comical, chatty and beautiful Pekin Duck!

My beautiful pekin, Soleil <3
Pretty duck my pekin is ony 3 1/2 weeks old i think maybe a little less but he/she has gotten so big! lol my chubby duckie. She lives with 4 others she is the oldest, lives with Two Khaki Cambells, and two mystery ducks that look like khaki cambells as well, but here's "Chip"

Aaaaa. Pekins are so cute. I don't have one but my co worker does and she's beyond adorable. He sends me pics of her and I use them as wallpaper on my cell phone and computer at work.

Back
Top Bottom