Pekin Duck Club!

Honestly, that's what I was thinking. That's why I mentioned she's older and how she was raised, etc

Do you have an accurate scale? You could get a ballpark on it if you do, but normal Pekin range is very wide. An adult duck would be 8-11 pounds and an adult drake would be 9-12 pounds. JoJo being short of the adult weight doesn't mean he's ill since he might get a little bigger by the time he's a year old. Also, don't forget that means well-muscled weight, not being fat from just sitting around eating, so you'll want to refer to Kathy's chart as well. I thought that was pretty neat. I'm sure it's posted elsewhere on BYC, but this was the first time I'd seen it.

My Pekins are only about 7 pounds, and they eat like little piggies. They have been tested for worms, and it came back negative. The lady that gave them to me said she wasn't sure they were pure bred, so that might be why they are smaller. She thinks they crossed with a buff. On the other hand, my pekin I raised from a baby was 13 lbs by the time he was 3 months old. He was massive, and raised the same as all the others.

A body score of two is okay, and I can imagine many ducks might be just a two, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on. I don't want to scare anyone, but a body score of one doesn't usually end well.

-Kathy

Last edited:
My Pekins are only about 7 pounds, and they eat like little piggies. They have been tested for worms, and it came back negative. The lady that gave them to me said she wasn't sure they were pure bred, so that might be why they are smaller. She thinks they crossed with a buff. On the other hand, my pekin I raised from a baby was 13 lbs by the time he was 3 months old. He was massive, and raised the same as all the others.

LOL. Massive is right for Pekins. That's a lot of the reason that they're one of the main ones raised for not living long. Well, that and the light skin that presents well if you're into that sort of thing.

The BO cross sounds very possible with yours based on the way you describe their plumage and now knowing they're a little, just a little, smaller than the end of the standard scale. All the standard scales depend on pure breeding many generations back, so they're not at all dependable with crosses. We had a KC that bonded and mated (a lot) with a Rouen drake, and the progeny turned out much closer to her size than to his.

Okay so this is the one that couldn't lift her wings did she die or did you put her down? Hopefully @casportpony
will give her thoughts on this. 

This is the pekin that couldnt walk or lift her wings i ended up processing her and the inside of her gizzard was bright green

Back
Top Bottom