Pekin Duck Club!

I love the pekins... they are so soft fo fluffy to hold lol Although these guys weren't so fond of the holding... they aren't used to handling. We'll change that haha So happy you took in a rescue :) I like the cayugas, they are beautiful. I have a single make cayuga rescue here already. I'm still not quite sure of this lil guy they came with, or his girlfriend... he said they were a swedish blue breeding pair. Errr.... lol yeah I'll head to the Blue or Cayuga group for that unless you guys want to weigh in. Don't want to clog the feed with my mystery ducks haha

Need advice please, one of my pekins began limping this afternoon. Its a severe limp, more of a lurch really, she hesitates to put weight on that leg to walk. When standing she keeps it up. My dh held her so i could take a look: there is no obvious swelling, no laceration or punctures, no thorns etc. No heat or deformity in foot or leg. She is eating, drinking and messing normally. Eyes are clear and bright. Basically seems in perfect condition except she can barely walk. I closed both girls in there coop to limit her mobility, was afraid the ramp and in/ out of the pool would exasperate things. Sorry for such a long post.... Its breaking my heart to see her struggle.

Need advice please, one of my pekins began limping this afternoon. Its a severe limp, more of a lurch really, she hesitates to put weight on that leg to walk. When standing she keeps it up. My dh held her so i could take a look: there is no obvious swelling, no laceration or punctures, no thorns etc. No heat or deformity in foot or leg. She is eating, drinking and messing normally. Eyes are clear and bright. Basically seems in perfect condition except she can barely walk. I closed both girls in there coop to limit her mobility, was afraid the ramp and in/ out of the pool would exasperate things. Sorry for such a long post.... Its breaking my heart to see her struggle.

@cluckylady812

I would get her into a tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in, let her take the weight off the leg. Sounds like it could be a severe sprain. Those can take days and days to heal, but they do heal, especially if you can

reduce the amount of time she puts weight on the leg by letting her float in lukewarm water
confine her a bit to keep her from trying to run around too much at least for a day or two
use Epsom salt compress (don't let her ingest it - it's a laxative) on the leg at least once, maybe twice a day for a few days
I like to put a tiny dab of comfrey salve or T-relief or similar on the leg and foot before bedtime

Last edited:

@cluckylady812

I would get her into a tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in, let her take the weight off the leg.  Sounds like it could be a severe sprain.  Those can take days and days to heal, but they do heal, especially if you can

reduce the amount of time she puts weight on the leg by letting her float in lukewarm water
confine her a bit to keep her from trying to run around too much at least for a day or two
use Epsom salt compress (don't let her ingest it - it's a laxative) on the leg at least once, maybe twice a day for a few days
I like to put a tiny dab of comfrey salve or T-relief or similar on the leg and foot before bedtime

Thank you ! Where do i find, or how to make the salve? I will keep them in the coop, its 5x8', roomy enough for two. I will soak her in the evenings, dh is the only one she allows touching her lol. And a duck laxative?!?!, the mind boggles lol. Definately will not let her drink any!

T-Relief has comfrey in it, I think if you call a drugstore they may have it, or a health food store might have it.

Or if you have access to comfrey, you can actually just make a strong comfrey tea, add the Epsom salt to that, and use that for the compress. Remember to let it cool before applying it to the ducky leg!!!!!
wink.png

Or you can make an oil infusion by soaking comfrey leaves - a wadded up fistful - in a pint of warmed olive oil overnight. Then squeeze the leaves (I press them with a spoon in a strainer), compost the leaves and use the oil. Just dab a few drops on the leg, rub it in.

Makes a great facial treatment, too, by the way.

Last edited:
I treated foot infections by putting my duckies in low tubs of warm water with Epsom salt mixed in, wrapped them in towels so that their heads stuck out, and let them soak 20-30 minutes. This treatment cleared up the foot problems within a few weeks.
I'll post a picture tomorrow!

I am no pro by any means, we've only had Pekins a couple months (they are now about 8 months old) ...ours are both female and have slightly paler beaks than a lot of drakee pics I've seen on here. So your pale one may be female..? Also yours look some what on the thin side (in my opinion but mine are fatties
1f606.png
) mine were also incorrectly homed (dog house with a 6×6 3ft tall pen around it, no water play area) and fed the wrong feed too early. I THINK one has just finally started laying. We get an egg every morning, but with 8 birds, I have no clue who it's coming from, the Pekins are our oldest. Sorry I couldn't be more help, maybe once you get them on a better diet and a happier living area you'll better be able to figure out what they are

Back
Top Bottom