Pekin Duck Club!

Its been a long time since I have been in this thread! I am patiently waiting for my hens to start laying so I can fill duckling orders! Its amazing how many ducklings a person can hatch with a quad of ducks!

No pics sorry 2 holes at the wing joints rt hole bigger put some salve to cover it kept her on porch seperated for 3 days then out once a day in morn with flock for 2 weeks didnt eat much plenty of vitiman water as she gained strength longer with flock until the holes healed over about 3 weeks then stayed with flock but no swimming in water the feathers soaked she spends most of the time cleaning feathers but to no avail its about 4-5 weeks now we just got rain here so everybody is mudding shes very dirty but happy

Is a damaged oil gland dangerous?  Should swim time be limited?

If the gland itself is damaged, then I would say yes... I don't know if there's an alternative that can be safely used or not, maybe @Amiga knows more?

I would limit swim to shallow water that they can't drown in though... they need the clean water, but no oil means feathers will become ratty and waterlogged causing loss of flotation...

Is a damaged oil gland dangerous? Should swim time be limited?

They can get damaged and infected. If that's the case, often massaging it a couple of times a day with a little olive oil may help - or one might consider an antibiotic cream. Giving the duck opportunity to spend time in a tub of lukewarm water can encourage preening.

edit to add --- shallow lukewarm water for ducks who are sinkers. We adopted a sinker last summer. She now has feathers in excellent condition after a few months of high quality feed and opportunity to bathe (no soap) in shallow water. Just watch - if the duck gets soaked, grab a towel and dry her off.

Sometimes, just helping the duck get healthy, making sure the preen gland is okay, and providing just a little boost of protein in the feed, then waiting for molt is the way to go.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone ill check it out she limits herself in swimming only if she has to and once a day to clean she had scrapes on the bottom of her tail not the top i take pics but none get thru to message she massages her tail but no oil let ya know

I live in sw florida so its not that cold 40 tonight i have a heat lamp in case anyone needs it and they have a place to get out of the weather thats dry of course thats where the nests are they are very noisy laying eggs i think there bragging whos the biggest or you been on the nest too long move it i love it they also commet on the movies we watch thier pen is right by the porch i have 10 ducks get between 8-10 eggs a night

Need some schooling. I have a hen that went broody I marked her eggs today I also have 6 crested eggs in my incubator. The hen is a buff Orphington chicken. I have 14 days left on the duck eggs. If I put the duck eggs underneath of the chicken and the eggs hatch earlier than hers will she continue to sit on her eggs until they hatch? I will of course remove them the day they hatch and put them in my brooder

Decided the new peeps needed some fresh air while I cleaned their tub, and wanted the big ducks to get used to them being around. My pekin Odette has decided they are her babies. Was giving them grass through the wire, tried pulling the ire off the get them out and won't let the chickens anywhere near the crate

Back
Top Bottom