Pekin Duck Club!

Decided the new peeps needed some fresh air while I cleaned their tub, and wanted the big ducks to get used to them being around. My pekin Odette has decided they are her babies. Was giving them grass through the wire, tried pulling the ire off the get them out and won't let the chickens anywhere near the crate

That is so awesome!

That is so awesome!

I'm so relieved! Esp since it was her that took to them, she's usually quite sassy, so I was worried she'd be the jealous one. I wanted to introduce them asap so theyre used to them being around, but ive never introduced new babies before. My drake was scared of them at first, haha big chicken, but he came around and eventually guarded them with her.

I'm so relieved! Esp since it was her that took to them, she's usually quite sassy, so I was worried she'd be the jealous one. I wanted to introduce them asap so theyre used to them being around, but ive never introduced new babies before. My drake was scared of them at first, haha big chicken, but he came around and eventually guarded them with her.

That cube thing was a great idea! So sweet that the older ducks want to be near the babies!! I'll be introducing new ducklings sometime this Spring. I hope it goes as well for me.
big_smile.png

Decided the new peeps needed some fresh air while I cleaned their tub, and wanted the big ducks to get used to them being around. My pekin Odette has decided they are her babies. Was giving them grass through the wire, tried pulling the ire off the get them out and won't let the chickens anywhere near the crate
I hope I have as good of luck as you have. I will be getting ducklings next week (5 hens, I hope)! My husband has built me a partition made out of wire about 2 feet tall for the big duck's cage. When the ducklings get big enough to be without a heat lamp, I will put them out in the big cage. The older ducks (2 pekin hens) will be able to see the little ones but not touch them. I am in hopes that they will become one flock instead of two. Wish me luck!! These are the first ducklings that I have raised. My other two Pekins came to me when they were 4 months old.

Precious and cute and adorable and love.

:celebrate    Congrats!!  Name?  Our honorary human-duck-baby!!
his name is Christopher Alan, he is a junior.
MCC, how are lily n JoJo?

Hi! So glad to see you on here!
They are doing great. They are loving free ranging with the chickens. They enjoy the company! They are also loving the access to the chicken coop. Even though they may not want to go outside, they can walk up the ramp, and annoy their neighbors!

I need advice. I posted this on "the duck thread" but only got one suggestion, so I am trying here.

I will be getting ducklings next week. I have things almost set up for them but I am stumped about their feed bowl. What type of feeder do you use to keep them from pooping in it. The chicken feeders look like the holes are too small for ducklings. Any suggestions???

I need advice. I posted this on "the duck thread" but only got one suggestion, so I am trying here.

I will be getting ducklings next week. I have things almost set up for them but I am stumped about their feed bowl. What type of feeder do you use to keep them from pooping in it. The chicken feeders look like the holes are too small for ducklings. Any suggestions???

I used 6 inch diameter chick feed bowls. At first, I used the top that makes them look like flying saucers. It worked for them. Then we went to a four inch tall, straight-sided, flat-bottomed plastic tray. It was about one foot wide and 18 inches long. Sometimes the ducks will poop in it. But most of the time they don't.

Back
Top Bottom