Pekin Duck Club!

I need advice. I posted this on "the duck thread" but only got one suggestion, so I am trying here.

I will be getting ducklings next week. I have things almost set up for them but I am stumped about their feed bowl. What type of feeder do you use to keep them from pooping in it.  The chicken feeders look like the holes are too small for ducklings. Any suggestions???

I us ceramic heavy bowls, only an inch deep at first, as they grow I get bigger and heavier bowls. As they get bigger they tip them over and their food and/or water spills. If you can find something like the size Amiga mentioned that would be good also. But my one pet peeve is them stepping on the edges and tipping all the food and water over... just do not get anything that is thin or w/sharp edges. my suggestions only, here.

:celebrate    Congrats!!  Name?  Our honorary human-duck-baby!!
his name is Christopher Alan, he is a junior.
MCC, how are lily n JoJo?

I thought I had posted pictures with my response. Oops! Here is one for you. They are getting scratch.

I use an aluminum dog bowl with a heavy bottom. Its about 6 inches in diameter too. It doesn't tip and I have never had a problem with my three pekins pooping in it. I let them free range my yard during the day and I keep their food and water in the shade for them under a tree. I have a 125 gallon pond out front under another tree that they play in when they want. Its a lot of work keeping it clean but you cant have ducks without a water source that's just not right.

They get a baking pan of lettuce every day too as its the only treat I have ever given them that the love. A local grocer sells me "last day lettuce" at a very reduced price that is perfectly good and economical to feed them. I use floating duck pellets by Masuri as a treat to get them in their cages every night and as a treat when I let them out of the cages in the morning to quiet them. They get up around 7:30 and go to bed when the sun goes down. I feed them Egg layer pellets as the Masuri does not have the calcium and protein that they need and I lost one of my females a few years back to a rectal prolapse from pushing soft eggs out. I know lettuce doesn't offer them any kind of nutrition but they love it.

I lock the male up in a dog cage out in the yard with clean hay and the females (2) are in a home made cage with hay that I built that is touching his cage. I have to clean their cages about once a week as I turn the hay about every 4 days and make sure it is nice for them. The male can get a little rough with the females when they are closed in together. The only time I let them all sleep together is if it is very cold outside for warmth. They are fine with the arrangement. They are really happy and my neighbors love them.

I sell their eggs to the local Vietnamese store and it helps pay for their food. They actually support themselves. Its great.

Back
Top Bottom