Pekin Duck Club!

I had been assuming that Lily was just overweight, and that was the fertility problem. Being that she is eating more grass then feed lately, I just don't think that that is a problem anymore. When they are free ranging, the feed last three times longer. Probably longer than that even, but the chickens occasionally go in there as well. LOL! I have 18 chicks that descend on the duck area whenever they think it's safe! I find that especially interesting since the ducks are in the area where I usually raise chicks.

My male Pekin, Luna Ray, constantly attacks my lil pit bull dog, she is three years old. He will run all the way across the yard back and forth to get her. My dog loves that he chases her and will stand there with her butt to his beak to ward off his pecking. Occasionally she will pin him down and nibble on him. They have been doing this to each other for three years. Each time I go over and tell the duck "luna ray. I have told you 1000 times, leave the dog alone! I then pick him up with his feathers tucked under my arm and hold him and stroke him and talk to him for at least 5 minutes each time. I have gotten very good at picking up the ducks thank to him. You can hold them in a certain way that they don't flap their wings and I usually wrap my arm around his belly and his belly and feet are hanging, kind of like a small child lol. I tell him over and over, I have told you, leave the dog alone...but he still persists. I know he is thinking he is defending my other two females from the dog and not playing. My dog on the other hand loves him and thinks he is fun and games. He has actually made my pit bleed a few times but she still loves him. Yes I do worry sometimes that my pitt might hurt him by accident. She is so gently with him in spite of his aggressive attacks and seems to respect that Luna Ray is another one of mommys babies.

Hi. I have two male ducks that double team my little pug mix. They get her into a corner and peck at her till she squeels for help. I don't think my boys are protecting a darned thing, but they sure have fun at doggies expense! ...do you think by picking up the duck after he attacks that he thinks it's a way to get picked up??? I dont pick mine up and they still love to do it. these duckies sure do keep us busy! So much fun even when they're naughty!

I have a hen that has started "attacking" my dog. She started it about 6 days ago. We just got ducklings but she didn't see them until recently. I am wondering if it is a stress thing because of these little things that have appeared at HER house. I don't want anyone hurt, but she is going to get bit! I can't blame the dog. This duck will come across the yard a LONG way, the dog will be sleeping under a tree and she just pecks or pinches the dog. Our dog has set herself up as the "guardian of the ducklings". I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. We will just have to wait and see, I guess.

Is their away to separate the dog and hens/ducks/duckings/ chick from dog.or baby's go in one area/ older duck /hen in another area and the dog in an area. These is how we have it. Everyone separate to basic ages. And dog is by itself in a space.

my new baby's. Went out with my mom today. Came back with one baby. Went back and got another one. Yard sale across the street from us. Went for breakfast. Came back with a duckling.

Is their away to separate the dog and hens/ducks/duckings/ chick from dog.or baby's go in one area/ older duck /hen in another area and the dog in an area. These is how we have it. Everyone separate to basic ages. And dog is by itself in a space.

This happened when we were outside. I Had the babies in an enclosure. My dog was asleep by me the duck came at her. No reason for it. We have never had any problems before. I think one of my ladies has become a b---h! Lol The babies are protected, but I feel for the dog. She was so surprised!

We were letting the babies enjoy the sun since it was so warm. The older ducks are free ranging during the day locked up at night. Dog is free ranging during the day, locked in the house atnight. Lol

Last edited:
I have a hen that has started "attacking" my dog. She started it about 6 days ago. We just got ducklings but she didn't see them until recently. I am wondering if it is a stress thing because of these little things that have appeared at HER house. I don't want anyone hurt, but she is going to get bit! I can't blame the dog. This duck will come across the yard a LONG way, the dog will be sleeping under a tree and she just pecks or pinches the dog. Our dog has set herself up as the "guardian of the ducklings". I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. We will just have to wait and see, I guess.

My understanding is that we humans are to prevent injuries to our animals. Setting up a fence to keep the hen away from the dog is a darn sight less tragic than just waiting and then trying to figure out how to repair her injuries, and seeing her in pain or dead.

My understanding is that we humans are to prevent injuries to our animals. Setting up a fence to keep the hen away from the dog is a darn sight less tragic than just waiting and then trying to figure out how to repair her injuries, and seeing her in pain or dead.
So very true Amiga. I'd give you an ovation but I am all out. @MandyJ this can get out of hand real fast.

Back
Top Bottom