Pekin Duck Club!

Here are my two girls, question tho, and I also posted this on the duck forum, one is laying a soft shelled egg daily. They are 15 mnths old, no change in diet since POL, layena with free choice oyster shell. No change in behavior. Everything is normal except her eggs. The other is just fine. Im baffled. Been going on a couple of weeks now. Any help is apprrciated, thank you!

Here are my two girls, question tho, and I also posted this on the duck forum, one is laying a soft shelled egg daily. They are 15 mnths old, no change in diet since POL, layena with free choice oyster shell. No change in behavior. Everything is normal except her eggs. The other is just fine. Im baffled. Been going on a couple of weeks now. Any help is apprrciated, thank you!

I find that some ducks start running low on calcium reserves after a while. I have nine Runners. Each is unique. Some have never had a soft egg that I know of, some are regularly in need of extra calcium. For the latter, I put about 100 mg of calcium citrate (I crush the tablets) in a tablespoon or two of thawed frozen peas. I squish several of the peas - they seem to hold more of the Ca citrate that way. Then I have a secret rendezvous with the girl who gets the "special." They quickly catch on that they are getting something just for them, and they will see me coming and separate themselves from the flock.

Please help my two pekins have recently started breeding. They are still getting the hang off it. I get up this morning to find what looks like his claws have ripped threw her flesh. What do I put on it and what can I do.

Separate them. Clean her wounds, pack with neosporin. If he is overmating her, you either need 3 more girls, or swap out the boy for a girl companion.
You can also trim his nails.

Last edited:
Separate them. Clean her wounds, pack with neosporin. If he is overmating her, you either need 3 more girls, or swap out the boy for a girl companion.

I don't think he's over mating her. Believe it or not she's the one who instigates it. I just don't know. We are bringing her in and clean her wound and keeping her in thru the night tonight. Thanks alot

You trim just like any other animal. Best for 2 people to do. One person hold him snuggly, head facing away, the other person gently opens web and trims the tip of each nail, not too short, watch out for the blood vessel. Have a bottle cap of cornstarch right at hand so incase you trim too short you just dip the nail in the cornstarch to help it clot.

Here's another thread about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/296786/can-i-trim-ducks-nails
I bet there is a youtube video somewhere that can help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom