Pekin Duck Club!

Is it wise to separate a jumbo Pekin drake? The smallest ducks I have are 3 Mallards and two of them are hens. I all ready separated him and a Cayuga drake, but I feel really bad for doing that. I have 9 ducks total and three are drakes.
I just don't want him accidentally hurting the hens.

I feel that we are responsible for keeping everyone safe. I'd rather have a cranky drake than injured (or worse) females. Unbreakable mirrors can be helpful.

I feel that we are responsible for keeping everyone safe. I'd rather have a cranky drake than injured (or worse) females. Unbreakable mirrors can be helpful.
Okay, first night went well! I have a Cayuga drake to, he is with Perkin (Pekin). Does the breeding season end in November?

Thank you for your help @Amiga

Okay, first night went well! I have a Cayuga drake to, he is with Perkin (Pekin). Does the breeding season end in November?

Thank you for your help @Amiga
I find that Bean, our drake, has his own schedule that roughly coincides with the seasons. Here, he starts getting all worked up around Valentine's Day, though this past year he started weeks earlier. It tapers off some time during the summer. But he's about six years old.

That's the long way of saying that it depends on the drake.

I find that Bean, our drake, has his own schedule that roughly coincides with the seasons. Here, he starts getting all worked up around Valentine's Day, though this past year he started weeks earlier. It tapers off some time during the summer. But he's about six years old.

That's the long way of saying that it depends on the drake.
Oh okay. Perkin is only 6 months old, same with Vader. Vader has been mating a lot with a certian duck. That's why I moved him too.

Thanks again!

Thought I'd pop in and say hello and see how everyone is doing?

I honestly miss being on here and the great advice that I always got.

How is everyone's ducks doing? And julie bird, did you get ducks yet?

Crazy goings on with the Crazy Gang. Firstly we have eggs !! not sure who is laying but when I go to collect (more like play ducky hide and seek) they all come to tell me all about it. They stand in a semi circle and quack away, they really are quite proud that they are earning their keep.
Now for the unusual, the duck coop is right next to the chicken coop but the duck coop has netting over the top to keep the raptors out. Our dear chickens (mostly the Rhode Island Reds) had found a way through the netting and are laying eggs in the duck house. It makes egg collecting easier but boy does it send the Crazy Gang into a tizzy, they are very vocal about their territory being invaded. We have clipped some wings but the RIR's still find their way over.

Tomorrow morning I have blueberry treats for them so I'll sit and have a wee chat with them about that one egg a day (5 hens) and see what we come up with.

Back
Top Bottom