Pekin Duck Club!

It is hard to say what maybe causing him to do this, I would try some brewers yeast or B complex make sure the B complex has at least 150 mgs of niacin in it.  As for the nail soaking in so Epsom salt water 1/2 cup to half gal of warm water may help if it's  looking like it's getting infected.  Maybe that is what is bothering him?? They cannot drink ES water it is also a laxative.

Ok thanks so much. I don't think it looks infected but I'm sure he broke it off in the quick. (I think that's how I say it) it's really short.lol thanks I did start putting brewers yeast in his food again today and will continue doing so. I have young mallards too so that will help them all.

Last edited:
Ok thanks so much. I don't think it looks infected but I'm sure he broke it off in the quick. (I think that's how I say it) it's really short.lol thanks I did start putting brewers yeast in his food again today and will continue doing so. I have young mallards too so that will help them all.
Keep us updated on how they are all doing.

I have 3 Pekins, 2 girls and 1 boy. (4 months old from Metzer).
Donald, Daisy and Gladys. (kids named them).
I'm having trouble uploading a pic at the moment, but they are my profile!

Okay, the duck eggs are hatching today, but these babies don't look like Pekin. Feet and beaks are black and their down is yellow and black. Any idea what breed they might be?
Cutest little buggers ever!!

A third zipped out just after this picture was taken so so far three out of six. One more was very active when I candled before placing the eggs in the hatcher. The other two were developed but not internally pipped yet.
There are chicks hatching in the same hatcher too..

Okay, the duck eggs are hatching today, but these babies don't look like Pekin. Feet and beaks are black and their down is yellow and black. Any idea what breed they might be?
Cutest little buggers ever!!

A third zipped out just after this picture was taken so so far three out of six. One more was very active when I candled before placing the eggs in the hatcher. The other two were developed but not internally pipped yet.
There are chicks hatching in the same hatcher too..
Congrats on your new ducklings they are the cutest things ever. maybe Black Swedish? where did you get the eggs?cute chick too.

Last edited:

Itsy Bitsy and Li'l Bit, 18 day old Metzer Jumbo Pekin hens.

Quote: Thank you. I purchased the eggs from a 9 year old little boy selling chicken and duck eggs to buy feed for his flock. His dad told me the eggs were Pekin eggs. The chickens were Turken, Australorp and Red Comet and RIR and that is what hatched..
I started out with 12 duck eggs. Candled at day 10 and had nine left. Then when I removed eggs to the hatcher, I candled again and there were 6 duck eggs left. Now there are three hatched, one pipped and two still to hatch.

How long should they remain in the hatcher. I know chicks take a few days to absorb the yolk and can "hold" in the hatcher while others hatch. But what about ducks? I have a brooder ready for them next to the chick brooder.

Last edited:
Thank you. I purchased the eggs from a 9 year old little boy selling chicken and duck eggs to buy feed for his flock. His dad told me the eggs were Pekin eggs. The chickens were Turken, Australorp and Red Comet and RIR and that is what hatched..
I started out with 12 duck eggs. Candled at day 10 and had nine left. Then when I removed eggs to the hatcher, I candled again and there were 6 duck eggs left. Now there are three hatched, one pipped and two still to hatch.

How long should they remain in the hatcher. I know chicks take a few days to absorb the yolk and can "hold" in the hatcher while others hatch. But what about ducks? I have a brooder ready for them next to the chick brooder.
When they dry and fluff they are ready to move to brooder. Any more hatch? nice group of chicken breeds too. @NanaKat

We ended up with three from the greyish white eggs the size of a medium to large hen egg..
They are fully fluffed, drinking and eating their crumbles.
They have already imprinted on me and immediately start peeping when I talk to them. They nibble food from my fingers and follow my finger to their food bowl.
I have a few drops of Nutridrench in their water cup for now
The last duckling to hatch has more yellow and a greyish hue to the head and shoulders. Only one has a few pink toes.

My duck has been chasing his foot I've looked at it and don't see anything wrong with it. Please watch the video of him and tell me if your duck has ever done this. Thanks

can you take a pic of the bottom of his feet for us and post here.
how old is your duck? what sex is your duck?
how long has your duck been doing this?
when does your duck do this?
what do you feed your duck.
what kind of bedding does your duck sleep on. where does your duck sleep?
thanks, i am just trying to think of reasons for this behavior. i will google this and try to help your duck. if only it could talk to you, huh?

Back
Top Bottom