Pekin Duck Club!

We ended up with three from the greyish white eggs the size of a medium to large hen egg..
They are fully fluffed, drinking and eating their crumbles.
They have already imprinted on me and immediately start peeping when I talk to them. They nibble food from my fingers and follow my finger to their food bowl.
I have a few drops of Nutridrench in their water cup for now
The last duckling to hatch has more yellow and a greyish hue to the head and shoulders. Only one has a few pink toes.

@NanaKat they are so adorable. It will be fun to see them feather out so be sure to post alot of pictures.. So sweet they have bonded with you.

Question here. I have 2 adult Pekins, 1.5 years old. They stopped laying because they were molting. Then we had issues with a bobcat, it killed a few of my ducks, these 2 are all I have left. When the killing started I locked them up in their enclosure. It has been over a month, they have finished molting but haven't started laying again. When should I expect them to start again? Could stress delay their laying? They saw the killings from the bobcat, it even injured one of these hens. Not bad but there was a tiny amount of blood on her shoulders. They are eating Purina laying crumbles. They are normally free ranging but have been cooped up for 4 weeks. Do they need some supplement or something?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Question here. I have 2 adult Pekins, 1.5 years old. They stopped laying because they were molting. Then we had issues with a bobcat, it killed a few of my ducks, these 2 are all I have left. When the killing started I locked them up in their enclosure. It has been over a month, they have finished molting but haven't started laying again. When should I expect them to start again? Could stress delay their laying? They saw the killings from the bobcat, it even injured one of these hens. Not bad but there was a tiny amount of blood on her shoulders. They are eating Purina laying crumbles. They are normally free ranging but have been cooped up for 4 weeks. Do they need some supplement or something?
Thanks!

I have found that even with normal life, a molt can mean two months or more of time out (no laying), depending on the time of year. And age of the duck. Resting times have gotten longer the older my ducks get.

They can be traumatized, and that can take a while to recover from. Maybe rearranging a little something in the area where the attack took place so it doesn't look the same?

Supplement wise, vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics once a week or two won't hurt.

And maybe you can make a little time to sit and chat with them, talk things over. I find my ducks are soothed by talking.

can you take a pic of the bottom of his feet for us and post here.
how old is your duck? what sex is your duck?
how long has your duck been doing this?
when does your duck do this?
what do you feed your duck.
what kind of bedding does your duck sleep on. where does your duck sleep?
thanks, i am just trying to think of reasons for this behavior. i will google this and try to help your duck. if only it could talk to you, huh?
Yes I will post first thing in morning so sorry I didn't get back sooner.i can say he is around 7 months old , he's a pekin. I feed them pellets, peas , boiled eggs, meal worms, frozen corn (thawed) umm he doesn't really do it all the time. But he does it. That's what worried me. Will send pics in the am thanks for your help.. he started doing this about a week and a half ago.

Last edited:
I have found that even with normal life, a molt can mean two months or more of time out (no laying), depending on the time of year.  And age of the duck.   Resting times have gotten longer the older my ducks get.

They can be traumatized, and that can take a while to recover from.  Maybe rearranging a little something in the area where the attack took place so it doesn't look the same?

Supplement wise, vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics once a week or two won't hurt.

And maybe you can make a little time to sit and chat with them, talk things over.  I find my ducks are soothed by talking.

Thanks! I'll try your suggestions. As for talking to them. They have never been particularly fond of us. Lol talking to them freeks them out. They just scream and run around. But thanks for the advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7572274/width/200/height/400[/IMG
I hope this helps @CyndiD

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom