Pekin Duck Club!

I had to let you all know I have three pekins 25 weeks old and I wasn't sure if I had boys or girls. Well I got home from work today and guess what I found in their enclosure two eggs. I was so impressed lol. One of the eggs was normal the other one the shell was soft so I guess that one is from one of the ducks who has just started laying as the other one started laying a couple of weeks ago. I now think I have two girls and a boy. How good is that. Sorry to go on but I am thrilled lol. Has anyone else had an egg with a soft shell.

Hi Homestead1! And yes, I understand exactly how you feel about the new eggs, never had a soft one though. I still get tickled pink when my girl lays an egg....each time! It's like getting a small treasure every other day! I don't want that feeling to ever go away nor my duckies!

Hello duck lovers! I'm still fairly new to BYC and duck raising. About a year ago I bought a Pekin and Rouen duck and they've both been doing great up until about a month ago. My Pekin started having trouble walking and I noticed she was sitting a lot. I bought a vitamin supplement for their water, but she hasn't improved. Now her foot is twisted and she can barely walk. I read this could be a Niacin deficency and started giving her capsules but still she hasn't gotten much better. Anyone have any experience/suggestions of how and if it's possible to correct this? This picture isn't great, but it shows her foot/knee.

Attachments

• IMG_8714.JPG
    IMG_8714.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 7
Hello duck lovers! I'm still fairly new to BYC and duck raising. About a year ago I bought a Pekin and Rouen duck and they've both been doing great up until about a month ago. My Pekin started having trouble walking and I noticed she was sitting a lot. I bought a vitamin supplement for their water, but she hasn't improved. Now her foot is twisted and she can barely walk. I read this could be a Niacin deficency and started giving her capsules but still she hasn't gotten much better. Anyone have any experience/suggestions of how and if it's possible to correct this? This picture isn't great, but it shows her foot/knee.
She may have a slipped tendon. Have you taken her to a vet? I am not sure what you can do for. Tagging more experienced duck owners for more help @Miss Lydia @Ravynscroft

So sorry! If you can take her to a vet, that is best option...

She may have a slipped tendon. Have you taken her to a vet? I am not sure what you can do for. Tagging more experienced duck owners for more help @Miss Lydia @Ravynscroft

Good thinking... it does look like either slipped tendon or dislocation/collapse of the joint...

I dunno if @Amiga is on much anymore... should have some good tips for support/therapy to help...

Back
Top Bottom