Pekin duck was hatched Dec 17 ans has been on niacin and baby poly drops since she hatched. She stil

FeatheredFreind

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
Clear Spring, MD
She loves to swim but I have to carry her to and from the pool. After swimming she'll suck up some sun but at tops may be able to take 10-12 steps before I notice her limping getting worse. I can't put her in with the flock because the gander really hurts her when he tries to mate her. She is at laying/mating age now but for the sake of her leg I protect her from the gander. Could this get better? She shows no interest in drilling for goodies or treats I offer her. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any Advise for me??? Please Help.

She loves to swim but I have to carry her to and from the pool. After swimming she'll suck up some sun but at tops may be able to take 10-12 steps before I notice her limping getting worse. I can't put her in with the flock because the gander really hurts her when he tries to mate her. She is at laying/mating age now but for the sake of her leg I protect her from the gander. Could this get better? She shows no interest in drilling for goodies or treats I offer her. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any Advise for me??? Please Help.
Hi. FF I would definitely protect her from the gander. In the water she carries no weight on the leg, of course. Could it be she got an injury from the gander in the first place?
Really, you´d probably be better off posting this on the duck thread, maybe someone there may be able to help more.

She limped from the hatch. At first she couldn't even walk forward. The gander has only had one encounter with her and it was brief. She quaked loudly and I came running. She has her own pen and spends time with a sister duck daily. She eats feed in her pen but I have never seen her eat grass or treats and has never drilled the dirt. I put her with her sister in a private yard but she shows no interest. She is eating and is of healthy weight but she is truely a sitting duck. I'd put her down but she seems content as she knows no other way. She has recently bonded with a timid silky hen.
She is with her sister duck during the day and silky hen at night. Sister duck sleeps with gander and one other duck. I have sebastopols hatching in 2 days and I am going to attempt to see if she can bond with them. Hopefully it will do her some good. We shall see.

She limped from the hatch. At first she couldn't even walk forward. The gander has only had one encounter with her and it was brief. She quaked loudly and I came running. She has her own pen and spends time with a sister duck daily. She eats feed in her pen but I have never seen her eat grass or treats and has never drilled the dirt. I put her with her sister in a private yard but she shows no interest. She is eating and is of healthy weight but she is truely a sitting duck. I'd put her down but she seems content as she knows no other way. She has recently bonded with a timid silky hen.
She is with her sister duck during the day and silky hen at night. Sister duck sleeps with gander and one other duck. I have sebastopols hatching in 2 days and I am going to attempt to see if she can bond with them. Hopefully it will do her some good. We shall see.
Oh, i see. So she hatched like it. Well, sounds like you´re doing your best for her. I have a chicken that hatched, should be 3 times the size she is, she hobbles about, one of her feet seem arthritic, but she poodles about ok and lays eggs, so I reckon she´s ok as she is. One of those things.
It´ll be interesting to see how she goes with those goslings. My ducks would never adopt any goslings unless they hatched them.

Fortunately she does well with younger birds (smaller). The larger ones intimidate her. So I hope if I let them imprint on her they except her because the gander duck only wants to hurt her. Hopefully those geese will keep him in his place with her. Wishful thinking I guess.

Back
Top Bottom