Pekin duckling developmental issues

Adolfus Nile

Chirping
Jan 12, 2023
I have some ideas about what might be going on with this guy but this duckling is a pekin that i hatched one week ago. I noticed that rather than walking on his feet he seems to be crawling in a way that his lower leg and foot are both touching the ground. He also has swollen hocks-pretty bad actually. I noticed this yesterday when i took them outside to run the yard a bit since it was hot outside. Today I'm also noticing that his down/feathers seems like its thinning or something. both of these seem like indications of growing too fast? I suspect the leg thing may have been the problem since hatch but I cant be sure. Please let me know if you have recommendations.

I have some ideas about what might be going on with this guy but this duckling is a pekin that i hatched one week ago. I noticed that rather than walking on his feet he seems to be crawling in a way that his lower leg and foot are both touching the ground. He also has swollen hocks-pretty bad actually. I noticed this yesterday when i took them outside to run the yard a bit since it was hot outside. Today I'm also noticing that his down/feathers seems like its thinning or something. both of these seem like indications of growing too fast? I suspect the leg thing may have been the problem since hatch but I cant be sure. Please let me know if you have recommendations.
I suspect niacin deficiency.

The little fluffie urgently needs Durvet high level vit B Complex.

What are you feeding your ducklings? Pekins commonly need more Vitamin B than in starter crumbles. You should supplement their crumbles with nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast. Nutritional yeast has more Vitamin B but is more expensive. Give 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast with each cupful of crumbles. Keep giving Durvet until the gait is normal.

Pekin drakes need added nutritional yeast until fully grown. I give it to hens while they are laying.

I suspect niacin deficiency.

The little fluffie urgently needs Durvet high level vit B Complex.

What are you feeding your ducklings? Pekins commonly need more Vitamin B than in starter crumbles. You should supplement their crumbles with nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast. Nutritional yeast has more Vitamin B but is more expensive. Give 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast with each cupful of crumbles. Keep giving Durvet until the gait is normal.

Pekin drakes need added nutritional yeast until fully grown. I give it to hens while they are laying.
Ive been feeding a specific duck starter with a (what I thought was) large amount of nutritional yeast. I will find a way for this duckling specifically to get more niacin

I just fed the ducklings this morning and saw the duckling in question go right for a yellow pile of nutritional yeast. Today I may separate him from the other ducklings and put B complex in his food.

This duckling doesn't look any better. It seems to get along just fine right now but i wonder how long that will last? he seems fine, like hes not even in pain. and he keeps up with all the other ducklings. But his hocks are so swollen and he is walking with his lower legs totally touching the ground instead of his feet

This duckling doesn't look any better. It seems to get along just fine right now but i wonder how long that will last? he seems fine, like hes not even in pain. and he keeps up with all the other ducklings. But his hocks are so swollen and he is walking with his lower legs totally touching the ground instead of his feet
Keep going with the B complex. It isn't an instant fix, and sometimes it takes a while to see improvement. 1ml daily.
Any chance of slipped tendons?

Keep going with the B complex. It isn't an instant fix, and sometimes it takes a while to see improvement. 1ml daily.
Any chance of slipped te

When i was looking it up initially thats what i thought it was. But it seems that if it were the case it wouldnt be getting around so well and would be in obvious pain although i might be mistaken.

I may try and go take a picture. I have them outside in a caged in run with a top today so they can eat some grass and get some sun. Nice and hot for them.

When i was looking it up initially thats what i thought it was. But it seems that if it were the case it wouldnt be getting around so well and would be in obvious pain although i might be mistaken.
Not necessarily, I believe when it occurs as an injury, pain will be in the first days, but over time they manage to get around and show less signs of pain- swelling is also typical over time.
I found an article for you to have a look through, check her legs- and if you can, get some pictures of her and of her legs at different angles so we can see

If its a slipped tendon, it may not be as easy to treat at this stage, but it could be possible to correct still, so best to rule this out asap.
If we can rule it out, its likely a bad niacin deficiency. So continue with with B complex, she may improve. It takes time for it to start improving. Even if its a slipped tendon, the niacin will help.

Have a read through the symptoms and see if any match:
http://bcpoultryhobbyfarmingnetwork.weebly.com/fix-slipped-tendon.html

Heres some images showing the feet and hocks directly

Attachments

• 20230511_165032.jpg
    20230511_165032.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230511_165035.jpg
    20230511_165035.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230511_165027.jpg
    20230511_165027.jpg