Pekin Ducks Love Their Food!!!

DuckDuckPromise

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hi there! Thank the Lord, I’m not having a problem with my duckies, I was just curious if anybody else had noticed this!!! So, we have had a Khaki Campbell and a Cayuga before. Neither one really cared for food!! If we wanted to watch them eat, we had to be sneaky!! Don’t get me wrong, they ate... just not when we were around! Couple of years later, and we now have Cayugas and Pekins! Those black and green Cayuga duckies still just don’t care. But. Those huge white ducks. They can put away some food!! And while I’m standing there!!! And if they have to wait for any reason for their food? QUACK QUACK... Says the angry duck. Has anybody else noticed these little fellas really like their food?
Have a blessed day!!! - DuckDuckPromise

Hi there! Thank the Lord, I’m not having a problem with my duckies, I was just curious if anybody else had noticed this!!! So, we have had a Khaki Campbell and a Cayuga before. Neither one really cared for food!! If we wanted to watch them eat, we had to be sneaky!! Don’t get me wrong, they ate... just not when we were around! Couple of years later, and we now have Cayugas and Pekins! Those black and green Cayuga duckies still just don’t care. But. Those huge white ducks. They can put away some food!! And while I’m standing there!!! And if they have to wait for any reason for their food? QUACK QUACK... Says the angry duck. Has anybody else noticed these little fellas really like their food?
Have a blessed day!!! - DuckDuckPromise
Oh yes, there's a reason people raise pekins for meat. They put on weight very quickly and are usually not too picky about what you give them for food. My pekin ladies get super loud when they see me coming with the feed bucket. 🙂

Oh yes, there's a reason people raise pekins for meat. They put on weight very quickly and are usually not too picky about what you give them for food. My pekin ladies get super loud when they see me coming with the feed bucket. 🙂
Thhhaaaat makes so much sense! We have never raised them before, and we’ve only had them since March! Thanks for the insight!!!

My White Crested are like this. All of my ducks are equally enthusiastic about there food, (Crested, Mallards, Swedish crosses, etc.) But if they run out in the afternoon and are hungry the next morning. Every time they see the door open, they scream lol! I can hear it from inside the house. They're afraid of me, but the Crested's will get within 3 ft, and yell, making it very clear that they are hunger. Its pretty funny. :lau

My White Crested are like this. All of my ducks are equally enthusiastic about there food, (Crested, Mallards, Swedish crosses, etc.) But if they run out in the afternoon and are hungry the next morning. Every time they see the door open, they scream lol! I can hear it from inside the house. They're afraid of me, but the Crested's will get within 3 ft, and yell, making it very clear that they are hunger. Its pretty funny. :lau
It bet that’s hilarious!!! Ours too make quite a fuss when they are hungry!! I mean, at least we know what they want, right?! :yesss:

It bet that’s hilarious!!! Ours too make quite a fuss when they are hungry!! I mean, at least we know what they want, right?! :yesss:
Absolutely! Gotta love the big white ducks talking your ear off, they've got us trained lol! Mine do it when they want me to let them out as well. 😂

Get up in the morning and feed us! Quack quack quack quack!!
Come here this evening and feed us! Quack quack quack quack!!

We have one particularly noisy little female Pekin crested but the female are all quacking and the male chattering away until fed. They will take your hand off if you don't scoop the food into their bowl quickly enough! But they are lovely with and and the females lay an egg every day [sometimes a big one with a double yolk] so feed them we must!

Last edited:
Get up in the morning and feed us! Quack quack quack quack!!
Come here this evening and feed us! Quack quack quack quack!!

We have one particularly noisy little female Pekin crested but the female are all quacking and the male chattering away until fed. They will take your hand off if you don't scoop the food into their bowl quickly enough! But they are lovely with and and the females lay and egg e very day [sometimes a big one with a double yolk] so feed them we must!
Oh yes!!! They require all the food!! But that’s okay! I haven’t been gathering the eggs, I want to see if the ladies will sit! But this is my first time with females, and I don’t know what to watch for!!

Oh yes!!! They require all the food!! But that’s okay! I haven’t been gathering the eggs, I want to see if the ladies will sit! But this is my first time with females, and I don’t know what to watch for!!
Its a bit to late in the season for a duck to go broody. I had 4 hens, all different breeds, go broody at the bringing of Summer. 2 of which took quite a while to break. We got into a system-
Walk into the house, get within 2 feet of the broody. "Quaaaaak chatter, chatter" she would say. I'd put my hands on my hips and tell her it was time to go. She'd look at me, tuck her head and reluctantly leave the nest. Bickering as she left. 😂
I'de then take the eggs, and do it again the next day.
I usually let mine sit, but only 1 hen. If your not the first to go broody, you don't get to sit. Especially when the first hen hatches 10 ducklings lol! 😍🤪

Back
Top Bottom