Pekin Ducks

kelliewhitaker

Hatching
Apr 8, 2022
I have 2 pekin ducks and 2 runners that are 1 year old ; these were bought at tractor supply a year ago. I have a 1/2 acre pond that already had some ( 10) wild (domesticated mallard ducks) . In the last few weeks the pekin ducks (males) have become overly aggressive to the mallards. They will not let them get food, or go into the pond. This has become such a problem that the mallards are now hanging out in my pool just for water. Is there anything that I can do? THey are not attacking the chickens or people just the other ducks.

Wild domesticated Mallards means? are they wild or some you bought?
This time of year hormones are getting the best of all our drakes and sounds like yours are feeling very territorial. Do these Mallards stay at your property all the time or fly in and out? Other than locking your Pekins up I don't see what there is to do except give the Mallards a pool and food away from the pond. How many Pekin drakes do you have and how many females?
:welcome

Wild domesticated Mallards means? are they wild or some you bought?
This time of year hormones are getting the best of all our drakes and sounds like yours are feeling very territorial. Do these Mallards stay at your property all the time or fly in and out? Other than locking your Pekins up I don't see what there is to do except give the Mallards a pool and food away from the pond. How many Pekin drakes do you have and how many females?
:welcome
We bought the property a year ago and they were already on the pond. They were wild but now they just stay year round on the pond; so I say they were wild but not have become domesticated. They are so fat they cant fly very far. I have 2 pekin drakes and 2 black runners females. The mallards are have paired off and there are 5 sets ( male and female).

Would getting rid of at least one of the drakes be an option?
Not only to maybe bring peace to the pond and ducks but to protect the 2 Runner females. 2 Pekin drakes to 2 Runner females is asking for some injuries to the females the ratio should be for domesticated ducks 1 drake to at least 3 females an up to keep the females from being overbred.

Back
Top Bottom