Pekin Thread, anyone?

We have several duck breeds but I flat adore our Pekins. No other duck gets talked about or more watched than our Pekins. Big and fat and loud and silly. Out of ALL of our ducks they are the only ones who will NOT swim under water. All our other breeds will. But the Pekins frequently do bob for pond goodies and seeing their white butts in the air and their orange feet riding an imaginary bike is hilarious!

Ok here you go
f30a5bc5.jpg

daed8558.jpg

7cf3015b.jpg

What a great thread, Pekin ducks are not boring at all! Ours have wonderful personalities and are already showing individual preferences and traits.
I love, love, love our pekin duck! What they lack in color they definely make up for in personality. Speaking of color what makes their bills more or less orange? I read something awhile back but I can't remember what it was. I need to get some new pictures to post I have already posted all the ones I have already.
I sure see some super model ducks on this thread. I love it keep the pictures coming.
I read that it depends on how much carotene is in the ducks diet. The more carotene the more orange the bill. I could be wrong though, I'm new to ducks still. All of ours seem to have similar bill color...
We have several duck breeds but I flat adore our Pekins. No other duck gets talked about or more watched than our Pekins. Big and fat and loud and silly. Out of ALL of our ducks they are the only ones who will NOT swim under water. All our other breeds will. But the Pekins frequently do bob for pond goodies and seeing their white butts in the air and their orange feet riding an imaginary bike is hilarious!
It is funny that your pekins won't swim under water, ours love diving! Not as often as our cayugas, but they especailly love chasing after little goldfish. It is hillarious watching there butts. I think they just have the most funny bottoms! Our girl Dandelion was making a quack noise at a week old, loud and proud. I really enjoy how silly and clumsy they get when they are excited. If I have a tomato for them, it's like they get so excited they forget how to walk.

Here are my 3 Pekins Iris, Dandelion and Basil. They are 8 weeks old and I love them so much -

This is Iris, she is not as loud as Dandy but still quite vocal, she is always smiling, so pretty. She loves bananas and will ensure noone takes her peice, haha
lau.gif

This is Dandelion, when she was a week old her voice starting changing. She is one of our head ducks always making sure all 7 ducks or the other group is around. She is also very much imprinted onto both my husband and I. She always lets us know when she wants a treat or the water changed.
big_smile.png

Basil, he is quiet, sweet and very clean. He only eats watermelon if it is cut so he won't get his chest pink.(everyone else just goes crazy for it cut in half) He tries to keep himself tidy even when he is foraging on rainy days. He often pairs up with Iris and they go off foraging together, two white butts making quiet chirping noises when they find a surprise!
love.gif

Hello I'm new to duck motherhood. My Pekings are 14 wks old. I researched them and thought I was ready. They have a great night time enclosure. My yard is duck friendly. They have a pond and fre range during the day. the male Pip squeak is now biting my feet and legs everytime he sees me. I have held his bill shut and stared him down. Nothing seems to discourage this behavior. He has always been the sweeter of the two and would follow me every where. I find myself running from building to building to avoid him. Help I'm being held hostage by my duck. Pip doesn't do this to anyone else just me. If my husband walks with me he will leave me alone. I need help with how to discurage his biting.

WHAT A WONDERFUL IDEA FOR US PEKIN LOVERS!!!!
We have 4 Pekins. Affy & Daffy we have had since day 2 off their birth & they were 3 n May 2012. Bella & Trix we have had for 1 1/2 yrs. I will try to upload pictures, but I'm NOT good at figuring it out!!

Thanks,
Char:p

Hello I'm new to duck motherhood. My Pekings are 14 wks old. I researched them and thought I was ready. They have a great night time enclosure. My yard is duck friendly. They have a pond and fre range during the day. the male Pip squeak is now biting my feet and legs everytime he sees me. I have held his bill shut and stared him down. Nothing seems to discourage this behavior. He has always been the sweeter of the two and would follow me every where. I find myself running from building to building to avoid him. Help I'm being held hostage by my duck. Pip doesn't do this to anyone else just me. If my husband walks with me he will leave me alone. I need help with how to discurage his biting.
My male Pekin is also named Pip (no Squeak tho). I have always asserted myself as the Alpha with them. Anytime any of my drakes have tried to get pushy with me I hold my ground and push back. If they try to nip just calmly keep pushing them away but don't retreat. Retreating means he as asserted himself as Top Duck even over you. You have to take that role back from him. It might take time but so far ducks have proved pretty teachable in my experience. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom