Pekins going bow legged

well they both worked their way out of their harnesses overnight, but that's ok. I'm beefing them up a little bit.

Today they did seem to be standing a bit higher up on their legs, so that's good news. Hopefully with continued treatment and harness work their legs will catch up to their bodies.

I'll update as conditions change.

I am proud of you!!

And, oh, duckies if they only knew how important it is for them to work with you on this! Sigh.

They are still precious, even when they don't cooperate. They are just little duckies, as I often tell myself.

Here's a pic of them harness'd up. Even in the harness though their little legs seem a bit off. The smaller of the 2 (in the blue harness) seems like her/his feet are working a bit more correct. The bigger one though seems like it's having trouble with bending its feet at the point we would traditionally think of as an ankle.

I might try a tiny (half a pea sized) dab of T-Relief on that joint. Please look into it for yourself, it is homeopathic medicine that I have used on myself, and is the replacement for Traumeel, that I have used on my ducks.

well they both worked their way out of their harnesses overnight, but that's ok. I'm beefing them up a little bit.

Today they did seem to be standing a bit higher up on their legs, so that's good news. Hopefully with continued treatment and harness work their legs will catch up to their bodies.

I'll update as conditions change.

I'm so glad they seem to be responding to treatment! And...thank you. Thank you for listening and thank you for doing the right thing. I see some pet owners who plunge into pet ownership without doing ANY research on the dietary needs for the animal and then they end up like this. But then they don't bother to do anything, they just let the animal suffer, or they put it down because they don't want to deal with it. Thank you for being there for your precious birdies.

I'm rooting for you and your feathered babies!

I'm so glad they seem to be responding to treatment! And...thank you. Thank you for listening and thank you for doing the right thing. I see some pet owners who plunge into pet ownership without doing ANY research on the dietary needs for the animal and then they end up like this. But then they don't bother to do anything, they just let the animal suffer, or they put it down because they don't want to deal with it. Thank you for being there for your precious birdies.

I'm rooting for you and your feathered babies!
You're very welcome. To do anything other than give them a fighting chance would be wrong. I'm sure there are people who would have not caught the issue early enough or basically said "oh well it was only 4 dollars" but that's the wrong way to look at it. I understand that casualties can certainly happen with raising chickens and ducks, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to allow it happen without a fight :).

I had them both out briefly this morning. They both seem to be walking a bit better, however they both have the pigeon toe look to them. The bigger of the two was actually able to run away from me though, so that seems like a good sign. I still have them harnessed up for now, just to make sure I'm giving them every chance I can.

I have not gotten the brewers yeast yet, I am stopping this evening after work to get some. I have been continuing the niacin treatments in the water while waiting to get the brewers yeast.

The KCs are doing fine as far as I can tell. One had a spot on its foot I want to keep an eye on just in case bumble, but as far as I can tell they're all doing well. They certainly are skittish but I'm hoping in due time I can at least get them to warm up to me some. The pekins tolerate me a lot more now, probably from all the extra attention ;)

I'm hoping they start to be less pigeon toed, but if that doesn't correct and they can still get around, that will be ok too. They ARE standing up higher on their feet today, instead of walking on their shanks.

You can do all the research in the world, but sometimes you don't realize the important bits until something happens. I remember reading about niacin needs in ducks, and leg issues in pekins, and not until they started to exhibit issues, did I recall that info. Perhaps that research is what helped me identify it so quickly though.

I'll certainly keep everyone updated. If it's the future and you're reading this and I never gave an update, tag me so I can close the saga out :p (I don't expect that to be an issue, but just in case)

They're getting more water time right now ( they're mad because I stepped away for a moment. It's funny, they shun me when I'm there, but as soon as I leave the room all they do is peep until I come back.)

they both seem like they're swimming better today as well. They've also both stood straight up and splashed in the water.

I went to three stores and couldn't find any brewers yeast. I'm going to look and see what other stores I can check. I've checked walmart, cvs, and meijer to no avail.

They're getting more water time right now ( they're mad because I stepped away for a moment. It's funny, they shun me when I'm there, but as soon as I leave the room all they do is peep until I come back.)

they both seem like they're swimming better today as well. They've also both stood straight up and splashed in the water.

I went to three stores and couldn't find any brewers yeast. I'm going to look and see what other stores I can check. I've checked walmart, cvs, and meijer to no avail.
Go to a 'health food' store.

Back
Top Bottom