Pellets or mash?

Earl Grey Sian

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow, UK
So far I have been feeding my three hens layers pellets.
Despite the feeder being hung up they still seem to waste a lot by throwing it around!
Would layers mash be better? Does it have to be soaked or is it fed dry?

I noticed elsewhere that some of you mention something in between pellets and mash, but haven't come across this in the UK.
hmm.png

Thanks
big_smile.png

I've always used mash, and you don't have to water it down, just put it right in the feeder out of the bag.

I'm not sure if using one over the other is less wasteful, but I would think that pellets would be easier to throw around than the mash. You'd have to try it.

Is he feeder hanging at chest level to the chickens? Anything lower will probably encourage them to try and scratch and stuff in it.

I was using the mash...what a mess. so, i bought the pellets. I'm thinking this is a better move on my past.
The mash looks like there's more corn in it. the pellets don't have that yellow color to it.
I haven't read the ingredients in it, but i didn't think it was different.
melinda

IMO, they waste less with pellets. There's going to be some waste either way. Mine clean up the pellets that fall to the floor.
Hang the feeder so they have to reach up just a bit to get a bite to eat.

There are 2 types* of feed that you can offer your laying hens.....Layer pellets and layer crumbles. The crumbles are just that - crumbled up pellets. Chickens waste food and tend to make a mess. I find that there is less mess using the pellets. I too have a hanging feeder that is as high as my hens backs. This helps with the mess. Typically mash is either the pellets or crumbles soaked in water.

*Sorry, I don't know if you have both of these available in the UK.

I use pellets- they don't seem to waste too much from my hanging feeder, and when I do see some on the floor, I just wait to refill the feeder til they clean it up- they do! I use crumble for my little ones... but the big kids all get pellets!

Patty N. ;-)

We don't seem to have crumbles this side of the pond.
I'll try hanging the feeder a bit higher off the ground, at the moments it's only a few inches up.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll be grateful of any more handy hints.
thumbsup.gif

I mix. 2/3 pellets, 1/3 crumbles. Less waste.... and I hang the feeder a little higher than chest level.

Quote:
Once you adjust the height of your feeder I think you'll notice alot less waste. It should be as high as your smallest hen's back.

I also have switched my chickens over to pellets. They wasted a lot more feed when they were on crumbles.

I was afraid when I introduced them to pellets (after having been on crumbles almost all of their lives) that they might not adjust. They had no issues eating the pellets and seem to like them as much as the crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom