Pellets with calcium and roos (and bonus questions)

Attention - I got word today from a Purina Rep they NO LONGER make Flock Raiser pellets, just crumbles. Actually I noticed alot of chicken feeds are going that way. Below is the excat message I got from them

"That's correct, Orion. Flock Raiser is only available in crumbles at this time."

Good to know. I've never found it in pellet form just crumbles, so that's what I've been using all along.

See if they will order it on for your, I know my local feed store will order in pretty much anything as long as their wholesale distributor carries it or if it's from a feed company they already order from...
MeepBeep,

I probably will do that next time, right now we are trying to find a feed store that has what we want that is closer. Right now the one we are going to is 40ish miles away. Going to talk to the local feed store and Tractor Supply to see if they can do it (there only 20 miles away).

X2 on the Flock Raiser.

I hope it's not discontinued. I would prefer pellets too. I always provide the crumbles free choice inside the coop, but most days I also mix some crumbles with water and goodies like chopped apple, kale or other veggies/fruit to make a fresh "mash" (a good way to use all that powdery/dust). Put it on a couple of plates and let them at it (outside of course). They love it. I do have just a small flock so I don't know how handy that would be for someone who has a lot of chickens. I also have a Rooster so I chose that because of calcium concerns. So far no problems.

The best way (hopefully) to find out about a discontinuation is to contact Purina and see if they reply.
If you are occasionally wetting their feed, you might consider giving it a couple more days to ferment: give them the probiotic advantage. You'll be amazed at how much longer the feed lasts.

I don't care what form my feed is in: pellet crumble, or even mash. I buy what ever form is cheapest at the time, because it will be fermented. A bag of feed lasts a lot longer (no waste, and the nutrients in fermented are more bio-available), and my flock is always in top form.

If you are occasionally wetting their feed, you might consider giving it a couple more days to ferment: give them the probiotic advantage. You'll be amazed at how much longer the feed lasts.

I don't care what form my feed is in: pellet crumble, or even mash. I buy what ever form is cheapest at the time, because it will be fermented. A bag of feed lasts a lot longer (no waste, and the nutrients in fermented are more bio-available), and my flock is always in top form.
I've considered fermenting. What is the "probiotic advantage"? Does fermenting make the probiotics that are already in feed more active? Just wondering.
Most days they do get wet food, it does seem to make the food last. I haven't really kept up with consumption like I should
hide.gif
but 50lbs lasts about 1 1/2 - 2 months for me, but that is for 7 chickens (6girls and 1 large cockerel) and I do give them fruits, vegetables and weeds/grasses as treats.

I have not done fermenting, but when I tried to wet my food it seemed to attract more flies so I stopped. Plus they seem to waste more when it was wet. I try to feed my flock grass, veggies and fruit as much as I can. In the near future I hope to divide my run so I can let rye, barely and other grains grow and move the flock around much like a herd of cattle

So far I haven't had any problems with flies with the wet food, but the chickens generally have it all eaten within about 15-20minutes.
I just do this most days and regard it as more of a "treat" since I leave their hanging feeder fairly full and in the coop 24/7.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom