Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ok, my friends. I need help. I'm sorry this is Turkey not chicken, but I don't know where else to go at this point. There is a flock of turkeys that just recently appeared, and they seem to feel they want to live HERE. They came runnin for our yard and are incredibly friendly. They had trouble gettin up there, but eventually managed to get on my porch roof the first night and slept there. Then, last night, they came back and roosted right the heck on my front porch railing! They do all but sit in our laps!!!! They are begging for attenion, and I have a feeling they must have been domestic raised or they wouldn't be like this. I want ot help them, but don't want to be breaking some kind of law if they are really "wild" turkeys. Can someone tell me what they are and if I should help them? I am wlling to give them a safe happy home if they were dumped off, but not sure what is right to do. Called the wildlife center and they are at a loss. They told me to call turkey farms, but no one seems to know what to do. All I know is they are pooping all over, and I would prefer they not poop RIGHT HERE. Took me two hours to scrub my porch!!! Thanks!!!

Look like Spanish Blacks or something of the sort.
If you don't find the owner and you decide you'd like to rehome them or some of them, let me know. I'd make the 1.5hr trip to give them a home. ;) I have a Red Bourbon tom that needs some company.

The wild turkeys around me never come near humans. I would think they are/were someones turkeys. Any of your neighbors
missing any turkeys? They look darker than the wild turkeys by me.

Looks like someone's flock, for sure. Do you have a place at the local grocery store or feed store you can check? I bet someone has posted that they are missing. You could even advertise that they passed through to weed out the responses from hunters or opportunists.

Not wild turkeys. They are too dark. My dad and I would like to bring a 6 pack and some turkey treats out to your place and hang out with your new friends.

Well:

I'll add my two cents....whoever owns them probably has invested money in them...I'd check CL lost/found and the local feed outlets....other than that,,,,,feed them make them happy and arrange with Wingstone or Fisherlady to help process them... I was counting 10 birds....maybe the opportunity to give one to a family in need....my two cents....

Look like Spanish Blacks or something of the sort.
If you don't find the owner and you decide you'd like to rehome them or some of them, let me know. I'd make the 1.5hr trip to give them a home. ;) I have a Red Bourbon tom that needs some company.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! I called someone I know from a wildlife rescue who has ties with the game commission. They said they were definitely hand raised and WILL NOT SURVIVE in the wild. They are sending the local game commission out to see if they can identify if they are a wild breed or not. If they are a wild breed, the game commission is going to have to take them.
hit.gif
Sad, but they said they will get very dangerous since they have lost their fear of humans. In other words, they will kick some booty!!! If they are a domestic breed, i can probably keep them, and will see if anyone has lost any locally. If not, i will keep a couple and WILL BE LOOKING FOR A GOOD HOME OR TWO (ahem Reyvaughn) who will care for some of them. AND EWEABER......YOU AND YOUR DAD ARE WELCOME TO COME OVER IF IT WORKS OUT!!! Send some positive energy!!! Hoping these guys will be OK!!! Poor things!!! They really are sweeties!!! I was thinking dinner until I interacted a little with them!!! Now I dont think I could. never ate wild turkey anyhow. Barely like store bought turkey!
And at very least, i can feed them and give them water and will not be in trouble legally! She said it's documented that I contacted tham and its Ok to help them now!!!
clap.gif

Do you think getting just one rooster would help? And this maybe a dump questions but is their a breed that isnt as loud ? haha

Well, one rooster will help. He will have to probably be older, if he is young, he will follow the hens on there adventures. Then when he gets older, he will be used to having all the woods as his playground. Breed that isn't loud? NOOOOOO If you have only one, at least there will not be competition for the loudest................

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! I called someone I know from a wildlife rescue who has ties with the game commission. They said they were definitely hand raised and WILL NOT SURVIVE in the wild. They are sending the local game commission out to see if they can identify if they are a wild breed or not. If they are a wild breed, the game commission is going to have to take them.
hit.gif
Sad, but they said they will get very dangerous since they have lost their fear of humans. In other words, they will kick some booty!!! If they are a domestic breed, i can probably keep them, and will see if anyone has lost any locally. If not, i will keep a couple and WILL BE LOOKING FOR A GOOD HOME OR TWO (ahem Reyvaughn) who will care for some of them. AND EWEABER......YOU AND YOUR DAD ARE WELCOME TO COME OVER IF IT WORKS OUT!!! Send some positive energy!!! Hoping these guys will be OK!!! Poor things!!! They really are sweeties!!! I was thinking dinner until I interacted a little with them!!! Now I dont think I could. never ate wild turkey anyhow. Barely like store bought turkey!
And at very least, i can feed them and give them water and will not be in trouble legally! She said it's documented that I contacted tham and its Ok to help them now!!!
clap.gif

a homer simpson moment....I think heather commented that with out a roo/tom to hold the flock, the girls will just wander off (been my experience...lol) maybe the tom of the flock swapped paint with a hawk and the girls are looking for a new 'guy'...just speculation.....I find think like a bird to be challenging.....

Quote:

Quote:
I would be very interested in a tom or even a trio. I lost my tom last week & have yet to replace him. I will likely be heading out that direction again in just over a week, so let me know if you still need homes for any before then. I still have to go collect that herd of goats & sheep we couldn't catch last weekend.

We would
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!  I called someone I know from a wildlife rescue who has ties with the game commission.  They said they were definitely hand raised and WILL NOT SURVIVE in the wild.  They are sending the local game commission out to see if they can identify if they are a wild breed or not.  If they are a wild breed, the game commission is going to have to take them.  :hit    Sad, but they said they will get very dangerous since they have lost their fear of humans.  In other words, they will kick some booty!!!  If they are a domestic breed, i can probably keep them, and will see if anyone has lost any locally.  If not, i will keep a couple and WILL BE LOOKING FOR A GOOD HOME OR TWO (ahem Reyvaughn)  who will care for some of them.  AND EWEABER......YOU AND YOUR DAD ARE WELCOME TO COME OVER IF IT WORKS OUT!!!  Send some positive energy!!!  Hoping these guys will be OK!!! Poor things!!!  They really are sweeties!!!  I was thinking dinner until I interacted a little with them!!! Now I dont think I could.  never ate wild turkey anyhow. Barely like store bought turkey!
And at very least, i can feed them and give them water and will not be in trouble legally!  She said it's documented that I contacted tham and its Ok to help them now!!!  :clap

We would be willing to take a few, too, if you need to re home them. It's really too bad. They appear to have been really taken care of. I would love to have some, but I really hope you find their home. Good luck!

- I was just thinking, you could also ask at the feed store who buys game feed. TSC won't be able to help, I would think. If you have a small feed store, they may even know the owners.

Ok, my friends. I need help. I'm sorry this is Turkey not chicken, but I don't know where else to go at this point. There is a flock of turkeys that just recently appeared, and they seem to feel they want to live HERE. They came runnin for our yard and are incredibly friendly. They had trouble gettin up there, but eventually managed to get on my porch roof the first night and slept there. Then, last night, they came back and roosted right the heck on my front porch railing! They do all but sit in our laps!!!! They are begging for attenion, and I have a feeling they must have been domestic raised or they wouldn't be like this. I want ot help them, but don't want to be breaking some kind of law if they are really "wild" turkeys. Can someone tell me what they are and if I should help them? I am wlling to give them a safe happy home if they were dumped off, but not sure what is right to do. Called the wildlife center and they are at a loss. They told me to call turkey farms, but no one seems to know what to do. All I know is they are pooping all over, and I would prefer they not poop RIGHT HERE. Took me two hours to scrub my porch!!! Thanks!!!
What a cool story and great pics! I think I would hold off on the porch scrubbing until they're off it. :D

November 2013 Redbook, page 169
Baked Eggs in Tomatoes
4 medium tomatoes with tops cut off, and cored
olive oil for brushing
1/4C fresh flat- leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Kosher or Sea salt fresh cracked black pepper
4 medium to large eggs, room temperature (right outa the chicken's tush!)

Heat oven to 350* Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and make 4 "rings" out of foil to seat the tomatoes in.
Brush top edges and outsides of tomatoes with olive oil. If tomatoes are large or thick, pre-cook for five minutes.
Sprinkle the insides of the tomatoes with half of the Parmesan and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Crack one egg into each tomato. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and parsley.
Place tomatoes in their car seats (
lau.gif
) and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to desired consistency.

159 calories 10g fat 9g protein 8g carbs

Back
Top Bottom