Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello All!
big_smile.png
I am SUPER new here and extra new to the world of 'chickening'. My husband and I are going to (hopefully) going to get 3-4 day old chicks next year for laying eggs. Two questions:

-Does anyone know a less expensive way to get a starter coop? My budget is about 100$ and I am scouring Craigslist everyday. Hubby and I have no building experience, so making our own is out of the question.

-Does any kind soul want to be a young woman's chicken mentor? Maybe someone who lives within an hour that I could meet with for some 'chicken chat' occasionally. I am about mid-county.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, this is my first online forum post anywhere! Have a great day!
tongue.png

What town are you in, Lots of helpers here! :) Keep checking out CL! My BF is handy if you need help, just not sure how far you are :) (everyone Loves the barter system here as well, FYI)

We didn't forget you! We are just a bit lost on this venture, Matthew hasn't sold any of the pork! He has a list of potential buyers (yer on the list) and hasn't called any of them yet. This is something we HAVE to get on top of as we have a couple hundred pounds of meat headed our way on Thursday!

Blarney I will take some Pork! What are the prices, if there is still room on the list :)

Hello All! :D I am SUPER new here and extra new to the world of 'chickening'. My husband and I are going to (hopefully) going to get 3-4 day old chicks next year for laying eggs. Two questions:

-Does anyone know a less expensive way to get a starter coop? My budget is about 100$ and I am scouring Craigslist everyday. Hubby and I have no building experience, so making our own is out of the question.

-Does any kind soul want to be a young woman's chicken mentor? Maybe someone who lives within an hour that I could meet with for some 'chicken chat' occasionally. I am about mid-county.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, this is my first online forum post anywhere! Have a great day!:p

You are in exactly the right place. Craig's List is your friend! ~for cheap coops, that is. And you'll get lots of mentoring here, we LOVE to tell people what to do. Also, before you even ask, the very BEST breed of chicken to own is an Orpington. There. I said it. And I'm not biased. :D:D:D

Rosie, I will PM you the prices later tonight, headed out the door to get the pork!

Hello All! :D I am SUPER new here and extra new to the world of 'chickening'. My husband and I are going to (hopefully) going to get 3-4 day old chicks next year for laying eggs. Two questions:

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, this is my first online forum post anywhere! Have a great day!:p

Google Purina free Coop plans. It should be able to be built for about that, or it will give you an idea and you can use scrap wood and pallet wood.

And when you decide you want chickens, I think there are one or two people an here who will be glad to help!

Welcome!

Hello All!
big_smile.png
I am SUPER new here and extra new to the world of 'chickening'. My husband and I are going to (hopefully) going to get 3-4 day old chicks next year for laying eggs. Two questions:

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, this is my first online forum post anywhere! Have a great day!
tongue.png
Howdy from Chester Co.....this is my first year some I am no authority....but, I did buy a cheap coop on ebay that wasn't worth it and had to get another....I think you should figure out how many chicks you want then get a coop that fits your needs....LisaY on here took a cabinet of sorts and has made it into a coop for four chooks....other folks gets pallets for free and make their own coops....some things to think about is whether you want bantam or Large foul...and I'd suggest winter hardy birds...and some birds need to free range and won't do well in a run...one thing....if you think you want four birds....build a coop that holds eight...hope this helps....

Ok People, need to rant a bit.

My thought is, 'If you prefer to eat your store bought meat and close your eyes to how it is raised, that is your decision and right. I have no problems with it. What I DO have a problem with is the people who decide to tell my children that eating our own humanely raised animals is wrong.

To them, I say, 'if you're not a vegetarian, then just Shut Up.'
Blarney:

The appropriate response is "Pull my finger".....

Google Purina free Coop plans. It should be able to be built for about that, or it will give you an idea and you can use scrap wood and pallet wood.

And when you decide you want chickens, I think there are one or two people an here who will be glad to help!

Welcome!

I have a new Chicken BFF!! She lives soo close to me!! hhehe

Welcome newbies, Hello oldies (be nice blarney ).
Good luck to all those heading to shows
Heather, I have the same problem with sparrows, let me know if anything works,,,pigeons I do not fight to much, they stay in the old silo.
The broody leghorn,,,I never trust a leghorn to stay broody for the duration, have a back up plan.
Rose, don't worry to much about the broody, I thought the same thing until I put camera's up...those broody's move around more than you think.
Silkie, I really wish this was not such a busy time, I would have taken the time to meet along the way, the closest you will be to me is the 81 split..and even that is a good 45 minute drive...

Will have to spend some time to catch up with all the newbies, many new names on here....us older folks will take a little longer to catch things up for the winter

MISSY. WE WILL SEE WEDDNG PICS.....OR DO WE HAVE TO CRASH THE PARTY?

Yes Wing, you will see pics....and you're welcome to come crash as well LOL

Back
Top Bottom