Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ok People, need to rant a bit.

My thought is, 'If you prefer to eat your store bought meat and close your eyes to how it is raised, that is your decision and right. I have no problems with it. What I DO have a problem with is the people who decide to tell my children that eating our own humanely raised animals is wrong.

To them, I say, 'if you're not a vegetarian, then just Shut Up.'

THAT'S UNREAL! HOW RUDE SOME PEOPLE ARE!!! NOT THEIR PLACE TO SAY ANYTHING TO YOUR KIDS!!!

Hello All!
big_smile.png
I am SUPER new here and extra new to the world of 'chickening'. My husband and I are going to (hopefully) going to get 3-4 day old chicks next year for laying eggs. Two questions:

-Does anyone know a less expensive way to get a starter coop? My budget is about 100$ and I am scouring Craigslist everyday. Hubby and I have no building experience, so making our own is out of the question.

-Does any kind soul want to be a young woman's chicken mentor? Maybe someone who lives within an hour that I could meet with for some 'chicken chat' occasionally. I am about mid-county.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, this is my first online forum post anywhere! Have a great day!
tongue.png

HI ANNE!!! WELCOME! ALL THESE GUYS ARE VERY HELPFUL!!! I WOULD KEEP LOOKIN ON CRAIGSLIST IF I WERE YOU!! AND I WILL GLADLY HELP YOU WITH ANYTHING AT ALL THAT I CAN!!
I love the picture of the turkey looking in the window!

"I can Livez here?!? Ur house looks Nic!!"

Good luck though! Thanksgiving came early to your place :)

ROSES, AND ALL MY OTHER WONDERFUL FRIENDS......THEY DID NOT COME BACK LAST NIGHT. NOT SURE IF IT WAS DUE TO THE STORM COMING OR WHAT. HAVEN'T SEEN THEM. AND THE STUPID PART IS, I WENT FROM "I WANNA FILL MY FREEZER" TO FUSSIN ABOUT THE MESS THEY MADE AND THE TWO HOURS IT TOOK ME TO CLEAN UP AFTER THEM, TO "OMG! WHERE ARE MY BABIES???!!!" AND SITTING HERE WORRYIN!!! LOL
gig.gif

I actually miss the little poopers.

Hello All!
big_smile.png
I am SUPER new here and extra new to the world of 'chickening'. My husband and I are going to (hopefully) going to get 3-4 day old chicks next year for laying eggs. Two questions:

-Does anyone know a less expensive way to get a starter coop? My budget is about 100$ and I am scouring Craigslist everyday. Hubby and I have no building experience, so making our own is out of the question.

-Does any kind soul want to be a young woman's chicken mentor? Maybe someone who lives within an hour that I could meet with for some 'chicken chat' occasionally. I am about mid-county.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, this is my first online forum post anywhere! Have a great day!
tongue.png
I have a small coop/tractor that I have been using for bantams without a run attached but would work very nicely for 4-6 standard hens if you put a run on it or free-range them. I would part with it for $50 if interested. Not sure where you are located, but I'm over near Wheeling. I do get over into central & eastern PA fairly frequently though. It needs some minor repairs to the door, but I could have JJ do that before you get it if you want.

First off............WELCOME!

I am fairly new and in Chester county.

I got 4 chickens at the end of July of this summer.

I built my own coop ------and I had / have very very minimal carpentry skills------------------so it is possible.

Also if I were to do it again................I would do it differently and in an easier manner.

Many people on Craigs list are giving away coops or rabbit hutches or other things that could make for a nice coop.

I would be happy to share my experiences with you you -----------feel free to private message me on this forum if you like.

for 3-4 chickens............you don't need a huge coop....................but I am thinking I wish mine were even bigger for winter..............in case the girls need to stay in a little longer on bad weather days....

There are a ton of experienced and very helpful and nice folks in this group-----so I am sure you will get lots of help.

I wonder what kind of space you have in your backyard and what your intial ideas about a coop are. Have you looked at the coop section in this forum.............there are a ton of pictures and plans for small coops to look at.

some people ------including myself , have used free wood, free old furniture, etc to put together a coop.
some people have "repurposed" a childs play house into a coop....................that seems like a fun project!

I can imagine a coffee table or taller table with chicken wire or hardware cloth around it as a possible covered run of sorts...................with some weatherproofing roof materials.

I got free shingles on freecycle and used a dresser and some extra free wood to build my coop.............

anyway------lets talk! and good luck!

:yiipchick

Thank you all for your warm welcome! I can't wait to get started,and I know I have a great place to get advice!

Aunt Kat, thank you for the welcome, and although I am not a turkey "fan", I would love it if some strange animals wandered onto my property looking for affection. I'm jealous!

Howdy from Chester Co.....this is my first year some I am no authority....but, I did buy a cheap coop on ebay that wasn't worth it and had to get another....I think you should figure out how many chicks you want then get a coop that fits your needs....LisaY on here took a cabinet of sorts and has made it into a coop for four chooks....other folks gets pallets for free and make their own coops....some things to think about is whether you want bantam or Large foul...and I'd suggest winter hardy birds...and some birds need to free range and won't do well in a run...one thing....if you think you want four birds....build a coop that holds eight...hope this helps....

Hello All!
big_smile.png

tongue.png
This was the best place you could have landed!! Welcome to the party and there are lots of folks her who will be able to provide some support, advice and of course birds and eggs!

Stake's advice above is spot on... always plan for expansion right off the bat, unless you live in an area zoned for a small limit of birds... they are addictive and once you start hatching your chicken math will take off like crazy!

Hello All!
big_smile.png

Welcome Anne!!!!! I am going to be honest. I would build a pallet coop. It is easier to add on to!!! If you can find them that they are square, you should not need to make any cuts. For the roof you can use ply wood, or even MDF and rubber roofing. You can sit it up on cinder blocks.

BTW the best breed of chicken in a Bantam Cochin or an Ameraucana!!! Sorry blarney!

Back
Top Bottom