Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

silkie,

That is awesome about the house. I hope it works out. I know you put some work into the house you're in right now. Will you get anything back out of it?

Sooooo the new coop isn't finished but it is close enough that we moved the chickens last night. My hubby let them free range today and they all went back to the old coop. The babies went back to the garage and were confused that their cage wasn't there. No more free ranging for awhile so they remember where home is!!

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the old coop and run. I'm willing to part with it for a trade. I'm interested in silkie, serama, frizzles and any dark brown, green or blue egg layers. I also have some crates that I planned on using for broody's, and any birds that need isolation. I'm located 30 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, near the Westmoreland county line.

I'm down to 16 birds and I'm getting NO eggs!! I'm so frustrated right now.

I'm ordering the water nipples so hubby can set something up. Any tips? I also want a better system for feeding them. Advice? I would like to put the feed in from the outside, since every time I go in the run they attack the door to get out.

peeps, I did the water nipple thing on 2litre soda bottles...found that when the bottle was 1/2 empty negative pressure builds up and water won't come out....needed to add a pin hole on the bottom/top of of the bottle

silkie,

That is awesome about the house. I hope it works out. I know you put some work into the house you're in right now. Will you get anything back out of it?

Sooooo the new coop isn't finished but it is close enough that we moved the chickens last night. My hubby let them free range today and they all went back to the old coop. The babies went back to the garage and were confused that their cage wasn't there. No more free ranging for awhile so they remember where home is!!

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the old coop and run. I'm willing to part with it for a trade. I'm interested in silkie, serama, frizzles and any dark brown, green or blue egg layers. I also have some crates that I planned on using for broody's, and any birds that need isolation. I'm located 30 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, near the Westmoreland county line.

I'm ordering the water nipples so hubby can set something up. Any tips? I also want a better system for feeding them. Advice? I would like to put the feed in from the outside, since every time I go in the run they attack the door to get out.

The work we did on thid house was in place of rent. Landlord provided materials. I've been here a year & my kids' bedrooms both still look like this because they never brought materials.

My floors are all bare wood & nasty. My yard is all hill & no level spots for pens.

I have used bunny bottles as chicken wateters quite sucessfully.

I am potentially interested in coops, cages, etc. I have a variety of chicks available. All hens were covered by EE & Cream Legbar roos so should lay mostly blue, green & olive.

As for feeding: All of my feeding is done in the run & I put the feed in the bowls before I let the birds out of the coop in the morning. Scraps & treats are tossed in through a gap in the netting.

I don't lock my chickens up at night. Every morning I go out and they are waiting at the gate. I've learned to throw 2 handfuls of feed in the opposite direction of their bowls so that I can get in quick and get a few steps ahead of them. Unfortunately some of them have learned this trick and still stand in front of the gate lol. Chickens are smart. Hoping to have baby Cochins by friday. First time broody and she's doing an awesome job.
On another note, I have approximately 20 baby bunnies. Some should be ready to go next week if anyone is interested.

I'm not culling her because this is a virus and will clear up on it's own. She's actually getting better from a few days ago. She and my other birds will be carriers but they're just pets. I'm not breeding them, and I really like her. She's so nice and I just don't see a reason to cull her unless she starts rapidly declining and it's actually not IB.
But doesn't IB have a high mortality rate and cause the hens to stop laying?

silkie,

Wish I was closer
hmm.png
...as fas as the feeder goes, the tube- feeders work well for the dry feed. If you use FF, I only use a large bowl/bucket for that. We ahven't started on the waters yet..going to wait til spring now. Stake had a good idea on the bottle waterer, we are going to try that out for the winter...

***Silkie- does your rabbit/small pet waterer leak? Was wondering about those too. Do they take to that fairly quickly? That would definitely make a good inside coop waterer, if they don't leave a mess/leak.

***Duckncover- Hello & welcome to the thread!!
big_smile.png

Oh. I haven't done my zip code. It's 17740. Outside Jersey Shore.
Hey there.
frow.gif
..we are practically neighbors!! Not too many people out/up....lost, hahaha, our way!!!
So far I only have one slight red blotch thing and other then that I am ok.. just random pain here and there.. Medicated eye drops 3x daily 5 days... I keep forgetting lol.

And I asked a few people that come in at work and they say no.. LOL. I asked previous owner and he LOLed and can't believe it! LOL!!

And thanks.. she is she love eggs haha
Got to remember to put those in !!
tongue.png
I know, when you said it was a "boy" sitting on those eggs, I was like.."what??!!"..hahhaha
Such a beautiful night...

Awesome pics Blarney!! Beautiful
love.gif
...what kind of camera do you have? Mine is just a (out of date)..haha, "Kodac easyshare c813"..it is okay, but I would love to up grade!

Fisher:

I have two of every tool ever made in my garage,,,but I've found every project requires two trips to HD and three trips to the garage to get the 'right tool'...now my goto's are tie wraps and duck tape...
ahhh yes, DUCT TAPE!!! I am just now learning the joys of "tie wraps" too
wink.png
..haha...it is amazing the "Macgyver" -like skills one attains when raising livestock in the back yard!!

Blarney your pictures are worthy of framing...I would not get much done if I had those views...except lots of coffee drinking

Silkie, good luck on the move,,moving is never a fun thing for me, but I need to do it one more time..

Chelsea(I think). Great duck pics, careful on those injuries, they all catch up to you later in life...

Stake, sounds like a great way to improvise and use what is handy...

Any answers for those turkeys, thinking about grinding one of them and trying a sausage, any recipes for turkey sausage

Found a really nice house near Kittanning today. Just waiting on JJ's settlement check & hoping it's still available then. I'll have to build coops the week before we move in. Volunteers will be rewarded!!!!! The guy is really nice & willing to work with us on price. Other than coops it really doesn't need much to get it ready for move-in. And it's HUGE!!!
Congrats on the new house! Kittanning is only an hour away from me.

Back
Top Bottom