Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So question!? About a month ago i had some issues with my one Swedish hen...wasnt sure if it was merks or some kind of nero problem. But she went to the big field in the sky.....I have her sister or close to it. Came from the same place both swedish hens....Shes now acting werid she keeps her head tilted to the side and like tucked against her...she didnt go up into the coop a few nights ago two nights in a row i had to put her in and now with it being so cold she just hasnt came down which alot of them havent.So i am not sure if i am looking at an our break of something or just something gentic with those two girls......samething outside she physically looks fine. Everyone else in my flock looks good to!
barnie.gif

for blarney

fisherlady,,, I wish we were closer also, sounds like we would get along great...

everyone else, bundle up it is still cold out there.

Missy are you telling us that you have a full grown duck running around your kitchen.....I am turning green just thinking about the mess that could make.......

I have lost ducks in the past due to my big mean roosters trying to breed with them........just a thought as to what could be going on...

So question!? About a month ago i had some issues with my one Swedish hen...wasnt sure if it was merks or some kind of nero problem. But she went to the big field in the sky.....I have her sister or close to it. Came from the same place both swedish hens....Shes now acting werid she keeps her head tilted to the side and like tucked against her...she didnt go up into the coop a few nights ago two nights in a row i had to put her in and now with it being so cold she just hasnt came down which alot of them havent.So i am not sure if i am looking at an our break of something or just something gentic with those two girls......samething outside she physically looks fine. Everyone else in my flock looks good to!
barnie.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

Try this thread to see if it sounds like what you are dealing with... one lady said her chick had wry neck and had it happen again later if it was stressed? Cold = stress to me... and it is worth a shot to try supplements or other treatments suggested if it is an isolated and non-contagious condition that doesn't permanently effect her quality of life. I don't know if the condition would be hereditary or not, someone a lot more chicken medicine savvy than I may know that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

Try this thread to see if it sounds like what you are dealing with... one lady said her chick had wry neck and had it happen again later if it was stressed? Cold = stress to me... and it is worth a shot to try supplements or other treatments suggested if it is an isolated and non-contagious condition that doesn't permanently effect her quality of life. I don't know if the condition would be hereditary or not, someone a lot more chicken medicine savvy than I may know that.
thanks!! I will look into that..... My other girl had issues walking and would just fall over...I am just worried its the start of that again or if it something i have to worry about with everyone else! :(

Quote: it is hereditary in quail so I would think in chickens also....I have 2 quail with this they are the best ones I ever had (yes they have become more like pets))....

They will seem fine for awhile then all of a sudden something changes,,,, I have always been able to treat these 2 by just keeping them calm and giving vitamins......non contagious but I would not breed a known carrier

my experience is with quail not chicken so you must consider that a little different.

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I know it well too.

I should have elaborated a bit more. My daughter had major surgery at CHOP 2.5 years ago. It went perfectly and she has been completely seizure free ever since, a HUGE blessing. It's scary having a very sick child, I don't recommend it at all, but if it happens there is no better place, or better people, than CHOP.

My best wishes and prayers are with you blarney !!

i really really appreciate the prayers, everyone. DHetzel, I'm so glad your daughter did well at CHOP, I appreciate you sharing, hearing about your experience here helps lesson the stress. I can't imagine what you went through, we are only here for an outpatient procedure and will be bringing him home tonight if all goes well.

@Ladybehir: Are you Irish? My father used the term 'Himself' in the same fashion. I don't mind sharing (it's a good way to get knowledgable people's input). My son has some odd joint disease that has caused part of his femur to 'die'. Apparently it's common in adolescent males, limited to the one joint and we are hoping for a full recovery in 3-9 months. But this year's hockey season is shot. ; )

Quote: i really really appreciate the prayers, everyone. DHetzel, I'm so glad your daughter did well at CHOP, I appreciate you sharing, hearing about your experience here helps lesson the stress. I can't imagine what you went through, we are only here for an outpatient procedure and will be bringing him home tonight if all goes well.

@Ladybehir: Are you Irish? My father used the term 'Himself' in the same fashion. I don't mind sharing (it's a good way to get knowledgable people's input). My son has some odd joint disease that has caused part of his femur to 'die'. Apparently it's common in adolescent males, limited to the one joint and we are hoping for a full recovery in 3-9 months. But this year's hockey season is shot. ; )

That sounds very similar to my fibrous dysplasia,,,,,,wish him luck on recovery,,,,remember to keep ice near by those bone operations always seem to produce lots of swelling,,,,at least for me they do...

So question!? About a month ago i had some issues with my one Swedish hen...wasnt sure if it was merks or some kind of nero problem. But she went to the big field in the sky.....I have her sister or close to it. Came from the same place both swedish hens....Shes now acting werid she keeps her head tilted to the side and like tucked against her...she didnt go up into the coop  a few nights ago two nights in a row i had to put her in and now with it being so cold she just hasnt came down which alot of them havent.So i am not sure if i am looking at an our break of something or just something gentic with those two girls......samething outside she physically looks fine. Everyone else in my flock looks good to! :barnie

I have a small flock of Swedish. I haven't had this issue in adults. I have had a few chicks of various breeds develop it. I biography give vitamins or Cull.

I will say Swedish have a very small gene pool. They all came from a small amount (four?) of flocks in sewn. It may be hereditary for this reason.

There are people doing selective breedi in an attempt at a loose standard, no split wing, etc. Personally, I see them as a barnyard type breed, pretty, but allow them to breed naturally, the strong survive. I have lost a few to predators that had larger crests. I did attempt to get my eggs from various people around the country to start.

I have a small flock of Swedish. I haven't had this issue in adults. I have had a few chicks of various breeds develop it. I biography give vitamins or Cull.

I will say Swedish have a very small gene pool. They all came from a small amount (four?) of flocks in sewn. It may be hereditary for this reason.

There are people doing selective breedi in an attempt at a loose standard, no split wing, etc. Personally, I see them as a barnyard type breed, pretty, but allow them to breed naturally, the strong survive. I have lost a few to predators that had larger crests. I did attempt to get my eggs from various people around the country to start.
I put vits. in both water bowls today just to help everyone out with all this cold.... i will keep an eye on her and see what happens....i just dont want to lose anymore! :(

Back
Top Bottom