Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

okay-----

regarding a chicken owners height.................what is the tallest chicken out there?

wouldn't this still be do-able for those of us who might be short in stature?

seems to me like height of any chicken should not be a big deal............except for maybe tall people whoi cannot bend well..

how would they pick up many of the chickens when they are outdoors>

only in an elevated coop would a non bending tall person have a chance and then ,,,,,,,,,,,,even then the chicken has wiggle room!

6cd714b8096483dca973a1114f0f6dc3.jpg

count the babies ??

Question for those of you with guineas. Are they hardier than chickens? Will I have to chase them around to slather their wattles with vaseline too? And do they go out in the snow? Or do they sit inside on the roost and look grumpy like my chickens?

No worries about frostbite & they will be out running everywhere regardless of weather. You will have trouble keeping them cinfined. They love to roam.

That's lterally exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks! If I have a broody hen raise them, do you think it will help them want to come back to the coop/lay eggs there? Or are they just free spirits? I'll probably get 3. That's a good number right?

I brooded & penned mine with chicks. Didn't free range them. People have varying degrees of success getting them to lay & roost in the coop but I would think training them with the chickens as they grow would give a higher success rate.

That's lterally exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks! If I have a broody hen raise them, do you think it will help them want to come back to the coop/lay eggs there? Or are they just free spirits? I'll probably get 3. That's a good number right?

They are definitely free spirits and will figure out they are not chickens and go do their own thing. They might roost with the chickens or they might roost in the trees or a neighbor's barn, they are basically wild birds that use wherever they were raised as "home base" (you hope).

Having just one would certainly make it bond more tightly to the chickens, but they are so fun as a group of wild things, I wouldn't recommend it. We love having them around the farm. The only downside is that the foxes pick off the hens when they nest out in the fields, and we have to buy new keets every few years. This spring I'm buying some buff dundottes, they are sexable by color (at least mostly). I'm going to keep a group confined with the peafowl or turkeys and use them as breeding stock for future years. They are popular for their (well deserved) reputation as tick predators, so I anticipate selling keets in future years.

Did you know they use them in the south to clear rattlesnakes like we use them to eat ticks? Like a mongoose that can fly!

That's one "onery bird" right there.

Perfect! Can't wait to add keets to the list of "Things to Grow" for this year! (I'm not eating them, but still)

MC
be careful you may start flapping your arms and lay an egg...

folks I do not have the answer to the number of chicks, that was sent to me by a non chicken person with the question ...what the..........??

Back
Top Bottom