Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have never heard of anyone catching a fox in a box trap,I think they are to smart to go in one.You would have much better luck using a leg hold trap.

There's a bunch of youtubes using large size Have-a-heart type traps...you need to cover in a tarp of large black trashbag....cover the whole thing in sticks and leaves to emulate a hole...then bait...also saw one where a guy put month old chicks in a crate placed end to end with trap covered the whole thing in a tarp with and wait....I don't trap so, I really don't know....may have to get heavier shot....

That sucks... hope the birds recover. Any chance of getting the roo off of the roost tonight to check him over? I know they do amazingly well without human intervention, but at least you can tell if he has anything you can get some Neo onto.
Too bad you don't have a way of tracking the fox back to it's hole... dang things are so sneaky it is hard to pin them down and get them trapped...
Hopefully you get a better shot at it if/when it returns.

Hey Fisher:

Just decided to bring the girl inside and re-treated with neosporine....will check the roo tonight...he's been up but is moving more slowly...Have to admit he's a perfect roo....twice he's challenged this fox and saved the hen...you are right about sneaky...this one ran off then doubled back right past my yard..and almost went after two chooks who flew into the neighbor's yard when he attacked the first time...pooch ran him off....I dunno if I pen the chooks, I will never get a shot at him....and if I don't, I don't think the roo would last another encounter....

Anyone near Pottstown, PA 19465 that would want 3 chicks from the local TSC? I only want 3 BO chicks, but the min is 6. They had Broilers, EEs, BO, White Silkies, Red Layers, and assorted other layers. If so I can go buy the 6 then meet you to give you your 3 :)

I'm in Pottstown, but I hatch my own chicks and have too many now. Are you set on the BO's or would you be open to other chicks?
I only have Bredas and "barnyard mix" hatched out right now, but I have Welsummers and Marans in the incubator. Later in the spring I should have black sex links and super blue egg layers.

I'm in Pottstown, but I hatch my own chicks and have too many now. Are you set on the BO's or would you be open to other chicks?
I only have Bredas and "barnyard mix" hatched out right now, but I have Welsummers and Marans in the incubator. Later in the spring I should have black sex links and super blue egg layers.
Thanks so much for the offer! My husband has specifically requested BO's this year, and since his birthday just passed I figured I would let him choose for once! LOL I really appreciate it though! :)

Does anyone close to gettysburg/carlisle area have any hatching eggs? I want to set some this weekend of mine but would be nice to have some others to. Just to try and figure out if i am doing somthing wrong or if my roo is the issue. And there is no real way to tell if an egg is fertized or not unless you crack it right?
My SO lives in downtown Harrisburg and could take some home on Sunday for Monday pick-up, or maybe Sunday night. That would be the best I could do, unless you want to drive down to Mount Joy. Then I'm sure wing and I could get you plenty.
yep, sure can fill up a incubator, it's fun to fill up someone else's.......my boys like to pass that dna around...speaking of that I need a dozen of whatever eggs for the 29th
Wing, their starting to hatch already! I have at least one external pip and I can hear more chirps! :jumpy :jumpy See, here is my proof... Lol
can not remember when they were set,,,,I do have some bantam roosters in that pen, that may make hatch a little early.....come to think of it most of my silkie mixes hatch early, let us know how it goes.
So far 4 have hatched. Many more have piped. Just a waiting game now for the rest to hatch out. Meanwhile here are the four that hatched.
Is this wind driving anyone else nuts?

Thanks so much for the offer! My husband has specifically requested BO's this year, and since his birthday just passed I figured I would let him choose for once! LOL I really appreciate it though! :)

Well then, it seems like you'll *have* to buy 6 !

Chicken math wins in the end.

what is average to ship chicks in a box SS ?

It all depends on size & weight of box & where it's going. If you can get it there by 2-day Priority instead of having to send Express then it's much cheaper. Most chick boxes are about 12x8x6 for a 25 chick box. 10-15 three to four week old serama should fit easily. You would weigh the box & input your info just like for shipping eggs using usps.com. It will give you the prices according to weight & zipcode. The more it weighs & further it has to go the more expensive ut gets. I always add fermented feed &/or fruit for the trip so take that into account when weighing for prices.

Well then, it seems like you'll *have* to buy 6 !

Chicken math wins in the end.
LOL! YUP! Hubby is hopefully on his way home with 6 LOL! I do have to rehome 3 though...My girls like their roomy coop. They are VERY spoiled :p

So if anyone in the Pottstown area would like 3 buff orp chicks let me know! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom