Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Did some shipping today,,,large box of eggs sent off And 2 smaller boxes with mealworms in,,,hope they make it, I never shipped worms before,,,,150 of them should be a good starting point..

Bad part of that....I can not find the receipt with the tracking numbers on....

okay so I bought

1. garden and poultry dust -----it has permethrin as the active ingredient and all kinds of caution instructions about not letting children or adults come in contact with this dust in a drift.

2. "all natural" poultry protector in a spray bottle.
this one says: non toxic alternative to harsh chemical treatments. helps protect your coop and birds from mites, fleas, and ticks.

active ingredient: potassium sorbate, 1% by weight

other ingredients: water, yeast, citric acid 99.9%

so I am wondering if the all natural spray is 99.9 percent OJ and water??????

dhetzel will know this , I am sure!

Plus I have asthma and have been very sick this week with respiratory something............cold, bronchitis, sinus infection who knows ....maybe strep sore throat..............

I don't like the stuff that has all kinds of warnings re: inhalation risks.....................anyway------------------lets see what you all think about these!

LOL, calling me out, huh. I love it. I always prefer to go organic if possible, but I'm a realist for certain things. If you have an active infestation of lice or mites, I sort of doubt the natural way will work as fast as you want/need it to. I would use the other "all natural" one as a preventative, but nothing in those ingredients sounds like it would kill lice or mites. Biologically, those pest are vulnerable to a lot of different natural treatments, like DE, boric acid, even plain old detergent (Safer's insecticidal soap if you want a brand, but Dawn or Palmolive are lethal to almost all insects too). The trick is getting those things onto the little critters without harming the chickens. DE is well know for treating bugs, but it is also an inhalation hazard. Soap would be a good treatment for the roosts, but you'd probably have to retreat every day and getting it onto the birds is problematic because detergents also strip the oils off their feathers and probably irritate their mucus membranes.

Ideally, use the Permethrin with a respirator and goggles, and do the dusting out in the open air.

Felton, PA North Hopewell Township

Welcome welcome!

FutureFarmer31 :) That's my pinterest name. I have to go under a secret alias because if kids from school found my pinterest and it was nothing but chickens and stuff, I would never have any friends again
1f602.png
. People would think I was so weird.

Weird is good! "Normal in this country is fat, stupid and broke. I don't want to be normal!" -Dave Ramsey (A super financial guy). If knowing where your food comes from and enjoying the preparation of such, then many of our grandparents were really weird.

one day, it won't even matter what your "friends" think...oh, and being "weird" is an asset!;) ...I find the most interesting people are "wierd"...

Agreed! I'm so happy to be done school! Chippysmom reminded me of that!

Did some shipping today,,,large box of eggs sent off And 2 smaller boxes with mealworms in,,,hope they make it, I never shipped worms before,,,,150 of them should be a good starting point..

Bad part of that....I can not find the receipt with the tracking numbers on....

You go girl!

LOL, calling me out, huh. I love it. I always prefer to go organic if possible, but I'm a realist for certain things. If you have an active infestation of lice or mites, I sort of doubt the natural way will work as fast as you want/need it to. I would use the other "all natural" one as a preventative, but nothing in those ingredients sounds like it would kill lice or mites. Biologically, those pest are vulnerable to a lot of different natural treatments, like DE, boric acid, even plain old detergent (Safer's insecticidal soap if you want a brand, but Dawn or Palmolive are lethal to almost all insects too). The trick is getting those things onto the little critters without harming the chickens. DE is well know for treating bugs, but it is also an inhalation hazard. Soap would be a good treatment for the roosts, but you'd probably have to retreat every day and getting it onto the birds is problematic because detergents also strip the oils off their feathers and probably irritate their mucus membranes.

Ideally, use the Permethrin with a respirator and goggles, and do the dusting out in the open air.

thanks! I knew you would be able to handle this topic!

Blarney------I actually do want to give the gals a bath...........I think it could be fun! I just have to allow enough time to do the blow drying too! Its not that warm yet! If people hear me talking about this they will surely think I have gone nuts too!
oh well..........

Blarney------I actually do want to give the gals a bath...........I think it could be fun! I just have to allow enough time to do the blow drying too! Its not that warm yet! If people hear me talking about this they will surely think I have gone nuts too!
oh well..........

I have never given a chicken a bath. I bet it would do a lot of rid them of parasites, as long as the water contains a surfactant like soap or detergent. That will cut through the waxy shell on the bugs and drown or dissolve them.

I think some residual lice or eggs might be in the coop, especially on the roosts, so you might want to treat there too while the chickens are drying. Soapy water, DE or Sevin powder, or the liquid seven spray like you'd use in garden crops.

oh well..........
I have read were some use a little epsom salts in with the bath, I think maybe it helps to get the "dirt" off their bottoms....but check with the people who have been down this road before first...
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom