Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'd like to know about the sand also. I was planning on doing deep litter in the coop and run but what makes sand a good choice and how often do you have to clean it and how?
Good: Scoops like cat litter, it is a natural grit, it doesn't disintegrate when wet, food doesn't get lost in it. You can build sand castles inside, and let the chickens knock it down, or play princess. It is a dust bath. It keeps the chickens cooler in the summer.

Bad: If it is delivered wet like mine, it will never dry. If it is too wet, it will be reeeeeally heavy. It can be compared to cement. It doesn't offer warm flooring in the winter, but as the guy that did the article says, "Chickens sleep on roosts. Not the floor"

Hi,
I don't post here much due to certain serious issues in my life, including the serious problem of being unable to pay my mortgage on my farmette. You all know what eventually happens when one can't pay their mortgage :(

Any how while I still have time here, daughter wants to get some golden comet pullets from Tractor supply. I really don't want to add to my flock at this time but having a few more egg laying girls I would not mind. But I do have too many roosters.

Right now I have ameraucanas and rumpless araucanas and a few easter eggers.

I also have three 2 year old GORGEOUS Ameraucana roosters who I will need to find homes for. They are tame and docile and have the Wheaten coloring. I hate to have to get rid of these guys as we call them the three stooges (larry, moe and curly).

And I have a few bantam araucana roos who are not aggressive but have tails. Ugh.

If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

I'd like to know about the sand also. I was planning on doing deep litter in the coop and run but what makes sand a good choice and how often do you have to clean it and how?

I can only comment on sand in the coop, I have fine gravel in the run.
For cleaning I use a basic, narrow tined plastic rake.

I rake the floor weekly all year, sometimes more in the winter. Then use our homemade sifter on the resulting pile.

A small, flat shovel comes in handy

And we built roost boards/sand shelf combos and I sift them every second or third day...only takes about 10 minutes...again with a homemade sifter and a cat litter scoop.

And here are a couple from the December hatch modelling the shelf today.

Last edited:
Ve
very nice rooster what breed u's he, mine is getting slightly better, he was sitting up, and eating grass and slowly moving around so hopefully it isn't a disease, he was fine last night when I put him in last night, I think the hens are bullying him, because when he was lying in the other coop I saw a hen pecking him so now I'm not sure if he is diseased, and just has a sore leg, would it help if celloptaped some cardboard to his leg like a cast, I have heard that works with chicks with bad legs so why not with a full grown rooster ahah. On a brighter note I am starting a to build a new chicken coop for my (hopefully :fl) new little hatchlings tomorrow :celebrate

Last edited:
More baby chicks!
ya.gif

I think I see 8. One is a Rhodebar or RB mix from the pair I got from wingstone a month ago. The others are New Hampshires and more of the blue Bredas, those Bredas are so prolific we stopped setting eggs. If anyone wants some Bredas, either chicks or eggs, I bet I can get you a good deal. They are odd in that they have no combs, and still quite rare.

I really want to pull these chicks out, but there are at least 2 eggs still pipped and I know I should leave them in there. The first out was late last night, so I know they are fine staying in there, I just wish they could come out and play.
big_smile.png

I tried to take a pic through the viewing window, but it didn't come out well at all, so this will have to suffice for now. It is from last week's hatch. That little splash Breda was watching the camera phone very intently!

I've got a pile of sand to put into our peacock/turkey aviary. Some was shoveled into the run already and the birds love it. They pick through it for grit and dust bathe often. It's so much better than the mud that was there all winter. I think I'm going to have to get more.

Back
Top Bottom