Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi,
I don't post here much due to certain serious issues in my life, including the serious problem of being unable to pay my mortgage on my farmette.  You all know what eventually happens when one can't pay their mortgage  :(

Any how while I still have time here, daughter wants to get some golden comet pullets from Tractor supply.  I really don't want to add to my flock at this time but having a few more egg laying girls I would not mind.  But I do have too many roosters.

Right now I have ameraucanas and rumpless araucanas and a few easter eggers.

I also have three 2 year old GORGEOUS Ameraucana roosters who I will need to find homes for.  They are tame and docile and have the Wheaten coloring.  I hate to have to get rid of these guys as we call them the three stooges (larry, moe and curly). 

And I have a few bantam araucana roos who are not aggressive but have tails.  Ugh.

If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone here wants some fresh blood with those pure bred.
If it comes to it, they can become a meal, I have about 10-15 headed that way, probably more with my new hatches.
The comets are good for layers if you have the time to get them to laying age.
Your other issues I unfortunately have little advice.

Last edited:
Hey..**Sharron...looky at this!!! Raspberries!!!! They made it through this crazy winter...thank goodness!

***Chippy- Sorry for the loss of your little one
hugs.gif
, For whatever reason...sometimes things just don't work-out. I had gone through that too, as I am sure anyone who hatches has.
***Fisher- I will second Wing on.. looked like there was some good wood burning!!!! ...I never would have thought I would get so excited over materials ...wood- in any form, but preferably FREE..as in pallets and fencing..OMGosh, don't even get me started on fencing!!
bun.gif

clap.gif
Congrats to all the New chicks hatching...and being bought of course
jumpy.gif
!!! Lovin' all the cuteness!

yippiechickie.gif
I have some seriously awesome news...I mean seriously....It is a GO on the BEES...I repeat..it is a GO on the BEES
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
...now, I do have to wait..cause we are in the middle of many new, wonderful experiences...Hubby says okay to the bees...after we get our bearings from the other projects...GUYS, I am sooo excited about this....I will take any and all info. one has to share on the subject. We do have a few bee-keepers in the area ..I am going to be picking their brains for everything I can learn too. OMGosh...it is going to happen!
yesss.gif

We also were able to use part of the yard run to set up the other coop for the turkey and cornishX chicks . We will be getting them on the 3rd of May.

*I have a question for anyone here.....I have a SERIOUSLY broody hen...I was thinking about using her to mother the chicks in the separate coop...to help avoid the use of a heat lamp...and to help her through her issue
roll.png
...Is this a good idea?
*I also would like to know...If the chicks must eat 'chick' food... and the hen eats 'hen' food...do I stick two different kinds of feed in for them?...I am a little confused at how to handle this if I can use her to mother-heat them.
hu.gif
And on much more serious note...

Morning garb for chicken feeding in the wayy too early am! I KNOW the neighbors are thinking " there she goes, look what she is wearing now..that crazy chicken lady!
tongue.png
"....I understand it is just too awesome for some...
smack.gif
I finally got caught up on this thread...boy you all are making up for the slower weekend...Have a good night everyone-Danielle
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you TOO, Brat- MOTORCHICK!!!!
bun.gif
bun.gif
.......didn't think I'd do it ...did ya?!
tongue2.gif

Well Chiques......

I would hope the roosters I find homes for would not end up in a stew pot......

I really do try to find home for them that they are treated as a pet and something that is going to end up on the stove.

oh, and I forgot...about the sand as bedding or whatever you want to call it...I use it and LOVE it!!! We had an issue this year though, it had gotten completely soaked...I am still drying it out, but it is coming along very well. We are changing things so this never happens again.
I add DE and stall refresher(sweetPZ) to it to keep it smelling fresh. I also use it in the nest boxes with some herbs...oregano & lavender. It is super easy to clean..litter scoop..shovel.. I think **Fisherlady had the good pics of the tools..everyone has their favorites. MC had it right also, chickens root..they don't usually lay on floors to sleep...mine don't, but I guess that doesn't mean too much
roll.png
....Hope this helps in your decision..

Hey..**Sharron...looky at this!!! Raspberries!!!! They made it through this crazy winter...thank goodness!

hugs.gif
, For whatever reason...sometimes things just don't work-out. I had gone through that too, as I am sure anyone who hatches has.
***Fisher- I will second Wing on.. looked like there was some good wood burning!!!! ...I never would have thought I would get so excited over materials ...wood- in any form, but preferably FREE..as in pallets and fencing..OMGosh, don't even get me started on fencing!!
bun.gif

clap.gif
jumpy.gif

yippiechickie.gif
I have some seriously awesome news...I mean seriously....It is a GO on the BEES...I repeat..it is a GO on the BEES
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
...now, I do have to wait..cause we are in the middle of many new, wonderful experiences...Hubby says okay to the bees...after we get our bearings from the other projects...GUYS, I am sooo excited about this....I will take any and all info. one has to share on the subject. We do have a few bee-keepers in the area ..I am going to be picking their brains for everything I can learn too. OMGosh...it is going to happen!
yesss.gif

We also were able to use part of the yard run to set up the other coop for the turkey and cornishX chicks . We will be getting them on the 3rd of May.

*I have a question for anyone here.....I have a SERIOUSLY broody hen...I was thinking about using her to mother the chicks in the separate coop...to help avoid the use of a heat lamp...and to help her through her issue
roll.png
...Is this a good idea?
*I also would like to know...If the chicks must eat 'chick' food... and the hen eats 'hen' food...do I stick two different kinds of feed in for them?...I am a little confused at how to handle this if I can use her to mother-heat them.
hu.gif

Morning garb for chicken feeding in the wayy too early am! I KNOW the neighbors are thinking " there she goes, look what she is wearing now..that crazy chicken lady!
tongue.png
smack.gif
I finally got caught up on this thread...boy you all are making up for the slower weekend...Have a good night everyone-Danielle
bun.gif
bun.gif
tongue2.gif

GEEZ Purdy, you have so many conversations going on......

your broody....let her run with it...imho give starter crumple to all....your mama will lose alot of girth in the process, take every opportunity to suplement her feed...my two cents

on the bee thing....my limited understanding is get the hive started as early as possible in the spring....Italian and Brit queens are desired, the nuc you will buy will have limited personnel and they need to establish....get a bee keeper to help you set it up...(imho).....(I researched this and never got the $$$ to start..)

hugs.gif
bun.gif

clap.gif
jumpy.gif

yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
yesss.gif

roll.png
...Is this a good idea?
hu.gif

tongue.png
smack.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
tongue2.gif

LMP.... you could use your broody to mother the chicks... but only maybe 3 or 4.. by the age of 2 or 3 weeks these CX will be way too big to fit under her anymore. It may work to settle her urges. She will be confused when they are bigger than her by the age of 5 weeks but it should still work.
If you are giving them to her... make sure the new spot for her is ready... she will be more cooperative about moving after she has the chicks. Once she has them she will be OK where ever they are. If you are concerned about bio security issues you can move her to the private coop before you get the CX and make sure she has a day or two to settle in. Moving a setting broody is best done at night, quietly and with minimum of fuss.
We gave one of our broodies some 'adoptees' recently... I brought them home from TSC and never even took them into the house. They went straight to the coop and I held them cupped in my hand and slid them butt first under the hen who already had 2 of her own. The thing with adoptees is that they don't understand what a broody is... they think heat comes from a bright light. A dark broody is foreign to them. So be ready to spend some time waiting around so you can stick the little buggers back under her after the first few times they pop out to explore. After you replace them 2 or 3 times they usually start to get the hint. You should be OK once you see them return to the broody on their own. Also use that time to watch the hen for signs of aggression, some just don't like adoptees... it all depends on the broody. The chicks should be less than 2 or 3 days old for your best chances. Anything older drastically increases the chance of either the hen or the chick not adjusting.

Edit to add.... I forgot to mention... a broody hen does not need hen (layer) food.... the layer feed has supplemental calcium (and maybe other minerals also) which is intended to aid in egg shell production. A broody hen isn't laying eggs and doesn't need the supplement. We feed our broodies chick starter to provide them a protein boost and they share with the chicks after they hatch.

another edit... I see Stake already replied... and I agree with him... take any chance to give the broody girl extra

Last edited:

roll.png
...Is this a good idea?
hu.gif

tongue.png
smack.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
tongue2.gif
I see pajamas. Headed to Walmart again? Watch that tongue. It is dangerous!
I agree with all Fisherlady said. But since you are unsure of the new momma, I would give them the babies at night.
Oh, and if you were ever mixing hens and pullets, the hens can all eat the chick feed (Stake said that) and then offer oyster shell to the others.

Back
Top Bottom