Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Fria is doing better every day but she's still having some crop issues. It's not emptying completely overnight. She's getting a scrambled egg with some olive oil and yogurt every day and ACV in her water. Her appetite is still (she's on my shoulder right now, trying to get my chili lol). Today is day 4 that she's been in the house and hubby is starting to get annoyed by that (I'm not, she's becoming my little buddy lol). How long does it usually take recovery for sour crop? I'm trying not to vomit her though I did this morning before I fed her and a couple small pieces of grass are still coming out. She can't have a blockage since she's still pooping just fine, right?

In other news, wish me luck! I set 40 eggs this morning
smile.png
(thanks @dheltzel )

my flock was thrilled earlier. We threw 2 bags of leaves and half a bale of straw in the run for them. I tossed some scratch in and they were just having a field day digging around lol
good luck with the eggs!!
jumpy.gif
...I am not sure about her still having grass in there, it should be out (from one end or the other)..maybe someone more experienced can answer this one..
you are doing well for her
hugs.gif

Ransom pa
Hello & welcome
frow.gif

Hubby and I were outside looking at the coop today. It seems there will be an expansion project this spring
smile.png
the one side that we never put a door in (we just put plywood up to block it for the winter) is going to just be an opening into a second room. I'm guessing it'll be around a 6 or 7 ft x 12 ft addition
smile.png
under it were going to put in 2 seperation pens and extend the run by another 15 feet or so. I'm excited! We're going to add a turkey coop too.....lol
highfive.gif

We all hear you are not liking to leave animals outside. You will be much better about it next year. I think of it this way, I HATE wearing my leathers in the summer. They are much more doable at 60* and under. Chickens are like cows in that respect (picture of a chick in leathers here). They actually prefer cooler temps, and cope well in the cold. Unless....!!!!
If you heat up their coop, and you lose power YOU LOSE YOUR CHICKENS! They won't be able to handle the rapid drop in temperature. So no extra heat is recommended.
agreed!!..they have been adapted to this over a millenia..this is what they are bred/made for...keep the drafts off & water accessible, food in their bellies and they are good to go!

Fria is doing better every day but she's still having some crop issues. It's not emptying completely overnight. She's getting a scrambled egg with some olive oil and yogurt every day and ACV in her water.This link says to not use ACV...as it already too acid ...she should have a little baking soda in the water instead to get rid of the acid .
A I'm trying not to vomit her though I did this morning before I fed her and a couple small pieces of grass are still coming out. She can't have a blockage since she's still pooping just fine, right? She could still have it ...and poop ..some food is getting through
If you are still getting grass after 4 days ...There is still grass impacted in there .
Have you
massaged it trying to work it out or down ?
Heres a link ..that should help
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Hi! I am in South-central PA, Perry County to be exact. This is my first time with chickens but this Arctic blast has me worried!
Sorry so late.. Hello & Welcome!:frow ...Love Perry County! Some great advice here for keeping chooks good to go even in this weather!
Another hi to everyone here ! For a year now I have my 4 bantams and thanks to the education I got here, they are doing wonderful in this cold blast.
:thumbsup ..this is a great learning place!! SO great to hear your birds are doing well!!
It's a bit chilly in the cabin this morning. Pokey (bigger on left)
oh man...glad you are getting a better fire...i hope things continue to improve with that..got to have heat!!
Poor turtles had ice all day today. Just got home from the ER...bronchitis. My son hasn't had a chance to get wood cut & what I have is wet so wasn't burning well. I grabbed a nice electric heater at Lowes & am now attempting to get the house warmed up.

Poor turtles had ice all day today. Just got home from the ER...bronchitis. My son hasn't had a chance to get wood cut & what I have is wet so wasn't burning well. I grabbed a nice electric heater at Lowes & am now attempting to get the house warmed up.
I have bronchitis and it sucks. I get it every year on top of my asthma. I took medicine for it and was starting to feel better, but I can feel it creeping back up on me...

If you are still getting grass after 4 days ...There is still grass impacted in there .
Have you massaged it trying to work it out or down ?
Heres a link ..that should help
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

I have been massaging her crop. Last night was the first night that I didn't see her shifting constantly, trying to work it through. This morning, I managed to get her to throw up a big glob that had grass through it. I'm hoping that was the blockage. She seems to be feeling great this morning :)

another update for everyone. Wynter seems to be healing great! All I did was blue kote him and his mama has been taking care of him. Last night I watched him jump way up to the high roost with her. He's holding his own very well :) I'll try to get a picture when I go brave the cold again lol.

I have been massaging her crop. Last night was the first night that I didn't see her shifting constantly, trying to work it through. This morning, I managed to get her to throw up a big glob that had grass through it. I'm hoping that was the blockage. She seems to be feeling great this morning
smile.png

another update for everyone. Wynter seems to be healing great! All I did was blue kote him and his mama has been taking care of him. Last night I watched him jump way up to the high roost with her. He's holding his own very well
smile.png
I'll try to get a picture when I go brave the cold again lol.
yesss.gif
So glad to hear that the little ones are doing well! Sounds like they are both well on their way to recovery for you.
woot.gif

Ransom pa

Welcome! What kind of chickens do you have?

@LMP the kid in the picture is 'Elvis' he's been wethered and is in a pet home, this crazy fall has put me a little behind with breeding, none of my girls are bred. I hope to get 2 bred next week if they come into season.

Yet another reason for the kinder breed, they will breed on my schedule, not just seasonal....good luck Blarney, I remember you being a nervous wreck last year during kidding...

Back
Top Bottom