Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Chippy, that tractor is beautiful. Sure you won't need a tractor to move it?

The birds are looking really good!

Thank you! That means a lot! They still look like a pair right?

How are yours doing?

@wingstone x2 on the magnesium with the addition of riboflavin. I had a deficiency of them and didn't even know it. After I took it for awhile and it built up in my system, they became much less frequent. Whenever I start to get them more than once a week, I start taking it again and it usually fixes the problem.

How are yours doing?

@wingstone x2 on the magnesium with the addition of riboflavin. I had a deficiency of them and didn't even know it. After I took it for awhile and it built up in my system, they became much less frequent. Whenever I start to get them more than once a week, I start taking it again and it usually fixes the problem.

Definitely a pair. They look great!

My oldest is doing well, not even bothered by the poults that keep jumping in with them. The newest is more like your one, somewhat a loner in the brooder, but developing. I should get some new pictures for the other thread.

How are yours doing?

Definitely a pair. They look great!

My oldest is doing well, not even bothered by the poults that keep jumping in with them. The newest is more like your one, somewhat a loner in the brooder, but developing. I should get some new pictures for the other thread.

I lucked out sooo much with them being a pair. This is probably the luckiest thing that's ever happened to me.

Glad to hear they're well. What are your plans for them? Are they just going into the run with other birds, or will they have a separate place? I'd love to see pics!

I lucked out sooo much with them being a pair. This is probably the luckiest thing that's ever happened to me.

Glad to hear they're well. What are your plans for them? Are they just going into the run with other birds, or will they have a separate place? I'd love to see pics!

They will get their own quarters.

I'd be a fool not to try to breed them. I'm still setting eggs almost weekly. I've had three other ones not make it past two days. If they are both hens, I'll have them with their grandfather and a few others, assuming they will lay white eggs, I'll be able to tell them apart from everything else and have a 50/50 chance of more, if I have the bloodline figured out correctly ( still checking that out, hence the continual hatches)

If my second broody hatches out any Rhodebars, I would like to keep one. You say they are such good layers and that is what I would like. Are they auto sexing? Are the Wellsummers? I still would like to try Bieles one day.
big_smile.png
You will like having a Rhodebar pullet if one hatches. They are very calm and personable. Rhodebars are strongly autosexing, even more so than Legbars, IMO. Males have a white dot and are a uniform color, usually a beautiful caramel color. Females look like Welsummer pullets, but with black edging on their chipmunk stripes and greenish legs (Welsummers always have bright yellow legs). I've never hatched a Rhodebar that was the least bit ambiguous regarding sexing.

The best pics I've found for sexing Welsummers are here: http://www.whitmorefarm.com/welsummer
You can see that it's not nearly as obvious as with Rhodebars, that is one reason I'm in the process of creating Welbars, a strongly autosexing, barred Welsummer (like a Rhodebar is a strongly autosexing, barred RIR).

They will get their own quarters.

I'd be a fool not to try to breed them. I'm still setting eggs almost weekly. I've had three other ones not make it past two days. If they are both hens, I'll have them with their grandfather and a few others, assuming they will lay white eggs, I'll be able to tell them apart from everything else and have a 50/50 chance of more, if I have the bloodline figured out correctly ( still checking that out, hence the continual hatches)

That's so cool, and no one else has these but us. The fact that breeders cull because it's an "undesired affect" is totally outrageous and stupid to me. I doubt they get them really, or else albino chickens would be a thing.

Back
Top Bottom