Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

You will like having a Rhodebar pullet if one hatches. They are very calm and personable. Rhodebars are strongly autosexing, even more so than Legbars, IMO. Males have a white dot and are a uniform color, usually a beautiful caramel color. Females look like Welsummer pullets, but with black edging on their chipmunk stripes and greenish legs (Welsummers always have bright yellow legs). I've never hatched a Rhodebar that was the least bit ambiguous regarding sexing.

The best pics I've found for sexing Welsummers are here: http://www.whitmorefarm.com/welsummer
You can see that it's not nearly as obvious as with Rhodebars, that is one reason I'm in the process of creating Welbars, a strongly autosexing, barred Welsummer (like a Rhodebar is a strongly autosexing, barred RIR).

X2 on the Rhodebars. My young pullet isn't laying yet but she's very close (squatting). They are such sweet birds, I think they're now my favorite breed. My pullet has started jumping onto my lap for some lovins and attention and even my roo will come to me to be held and cuddled (he snuggles his head around my neck lol). Wonderful breed! I really can't wait for Cleo to start laying :)

Last edited:
You will like having a Rhodebar pullet if one hatches. They are very calm and personable. Rhodebars are strongly autosexing, even more so than Legbars, IMO. Males have a white dot and are a uniform color, usually a beautiful caramel color. Females look like Welsummer pullets, but with black edging on their chipmunk stripes and greenish legs (Welsummers always have bright yellow legs). I've never hatched a Rhodebar that was the least bit ambiguous regarding sexing.

The best pics I've found for sexing Welsummers are here: http://www.whitmorefarm.com/welsummer
You can see that it's not nearly as obvious as with Rhodebars, that is one reason I'm in the process of creating Welbars, a strongly autosexing, barred Welsummer (like a Rhodebar is a strongly autosexing, barred RIR).

Thanks! I will try to get a better look tomorrow. Mama hen is so good it's hard to get a peek when it's chilly outside. ::lol:

I can't, I have a headache....

:lau

It's been clinically proven that "adult activities" help. Just sayin.... :oops:

X2 on the Rhodebars. My young pullet isn't laying yet but she's very close (squatting). They are such sweet birds, I think they're now my favorite breed. My pullet has started jumping onto my lap for some lovins and attention and even my roo will come to me to be held and cuddled (he snuggles his head around my neck lol). Wonderful breed! I really can't wait for Cleo to start laying :)

Good to know, I'm crossing my finger for a decent hatch! My broody #2 is like a statue. She will not move for anything except her once a day foray into the yard. :D

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/public_doc...rd shows across Ohio to Prevent Avian Flu.pdf

Ohio just canceled everything poultry related for the rest of the year. What the heck am I gonna do with a couple hundred spare chicks & poults???[

Dinner is served!

Quote:
I just built two chicken tractors myself, ...tied of cleaning the big coops this way we can move them around the yard...
thumbsup.gif

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/public_doc...rd shows across Ohio to Prevent Avian Flu.pdf

Ohio just canceled everything poultry related for the rest of the year. What the heck am I gonna do with a couple hundred spare chicks & poults???

I am glad now things worked out like they did and I didn't start setting until 3wks ago. Everything is getting shut down and I would hate to be stuck with all those birds I usually hatch over winter. I heard the local auction that I dump all my cockerels, spares and left overs shut down as well.

chippysMom, Silkie is in Ohio. PA has shut down fairs, anything that is Supported by the state. Privately funded shows, swaps and auctions are open at their own discretion....for now. I got an e-mail last night that the PA fairs are now also including eggs and terminal (broiler) projects with the ban. Some of the 4-H project broilers were going to be shown and judged off fair grounds, the new email prohibits any 'congregating' of live birds, even if they're to be processed that evening- which was our plan....oh well.

Silkie....such a bummer, can you process your extras?

Last week I got the benefit of seeing Wing's set up, and Oh MY! Chickens, chickens, everywhere! What a gorgeous place and dream set up. LOVED seeing all those birds out in the grass and sunshine scratching around. It renewed my determination to move forward and breed and house in the way I've been thinking of. I've been feeling overwhelmed with poultry chores here, and I know quite a few breeders feeling the same way. Seems like with all the new stock coming up, lots of different brooders a going, it can get overwhelming. Seeing how straightforward and easy going Wing is and has her place working has renewed my resolve to get things under control here. THANKS so much Wing!

On the way to Wing's Ha!

Last week I got the benefit of seeing Wing's set up, and Oh MY! Chickens, chickens, everywhere! What a gorgeous place and dream set up. LOVED seeing all those birds out in the grass and sunshine scratching around. It renewed my determination to move forward and breed and house in the way I've been thinking of. I've been feeling overwhelmed with poultry chores here, and I know quite a few breeders feeling the same way. Seems like with all the new stock coming up, lots of different brooders a going, it can get overwhelming. Seeing how straightforward and easy going Wing is and has her place working has renewed my resolve to get things under control here. THANKS so much Wing!

On the way to Wing's Ha!

And if you wear sandals, all those little guys will check out if your toes are food!

I wish you could have seen wings little bantam rooster standing off against your boy. Of course the cage was between them!

Back
Top Bottom