Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

If I get my barn built this year I'll probably shoot for tons more lol. I have 4 different coops right now. Hatching silkies at the moment just for fun (not for eggs). I might hit some Easter sales to add assortment to my flock this year. My chickens started as a homeschool project and I fell in love lol. went from 11 to 31. I would have 33 but 2 died :( . I'm hatching in the house think hubby would kill me if I did as many as you lol. especially since i keep them in livingroom 2 months min.

I heard baby chicks make lots of dusts, so I'm only allowed to set up brooder in our garage. How bad does it look in livingroom? If it's not that bad, I will consider to move the brooder to family room.

I heard baby chicks make lots of dusts, so I'm only allowed to set up brooder in our garage. How bad does it look in livingroom? If it's not that bad, I will consider to move the brooder to family room.
When I used rabbit cages it got real dusty but last ones I made a triplex out of large clear sterlite boxes cut dust down a lot.

So lots of your California Greys are laying now? I thought you just start getting eggs from them. Are they really good layers?

The first egg appeared 5 months to the day after they hatched, since then the number per day has gradually increased, I think it's about 10 per day now, and they have only been laying about 2 weeks. There are 24 pullets total, so I'm anticipating at least 18 eggs per day when they all get going. The eggs are kind of small now, but so are the hens. This is in contrast to the Bielefelders that took more like 8 months to start laying, but from the start the eggs were large and a month or so into laying they are as large as the second year hen's eggs in our laying flock. Seems like they took longer to get going, but started with a bang. Still, the idea of starting to lay when young, even if the eggs are small to start with is nice. Lots of people have trouble waiting for that first egg, and 3 additional months seems like forever. I hope the black sexlinks inherit the early and frequent laying of their mothers, but I won't know that for, well at least 5 more months . . .

Yes, they can generate some dust. I am trying a room air purifier specifically designed for pet areas. I found it on Amazon for about $50. I processes a lot of air and I haven't seen any dust yet, but then I don't go looking for it either, so a real recommendation will need to wait until I have 200+ chicks in there. I might try adding a second unit later.

The first egg appeared 5 months to the day after they hatched, since then the number per day has gradually increased, I think it's about 10 per day now, and they have only been laying about 2 weeks. There are 24 pullets total, so I'm anticipating at least 18 eggs per day when they all get going. The eggs are kind of small now, but so are the hens. This is in contrast to the Bielefelders that took more like 8 months to start laying, but from the start the eggs were large and a month or so into laying they are as large as the second year hen's eggs in our laying flock. Seems like they took longer to get going, but started with a bang. Still, the idea of starting to lay when young, even if the eggs are small to start with is nice. Lots of people have trouble waiting for that first egg, and 3 additional months seems like forever. I hope the black sexlinks inherit the early and frequent laying of their mothers, but I won't know that for, well at least 5 more months . . .
It sounds that CGs are really good layers. I do hope the sexlinks get that too. I have heard Bielefelders develop slower, but they are good pets and their eggs are lovely. We are building a bigger nesting box (16"x14") just for her, the other nesting boxs are 12"x14".

I already have 4 air purifiers running in my house, since DH are asthmatic. I guess the chicks have to stay in garage. I have a heating lamp and a chick heating pad for them, so they should be OK. I have a 4'x2' dog cage as brooder. I'll put a large cardboard inside it to stop chicks from escaping when they are little.

Does anyone have any ameraucana hens? Id like to get a couple more

I have a few ameraucana mix peeps available right now if your interested in them. They're about a week old.

Hello. I started raising chickens in March of 2015. I have 31 chickens and 9 ducks. Have 20 eggs in incubator that are developing. I'm from Mercer county. 

Hi and welcome from Cambria county!

It sounds that CGs are really good layers. I do hope the sexlinks get that too. I have heard Bielefelders develop slower, but they are good pets and their eggs are lovely. We are building a bigger nesting box (16"x14") just for her, the other nesting boxs are 12"x14".

There is a definite personality difference. I use 16" cubes for nest boxes. The CG's would certainly fit in a smaller nestbox, but in a 16" one there are often 2 or 3 of them in there at once. I believe they like to lay eggs together, there are plenty of empty nest boxes and they are certainly not trying to push each other out.
I equate it to phenomenon of human females forming a "flock" of sorts to visit the rest room
hide.gif

What color birds are you looking for? Do you want purebred Ams, or just good layers of blue or green eggs?
If you are looking for older pullets that are near point of lay or already laying, those are going to be a lot harder to locate, especially this time of year.
I will soon have a lot of chicks that lay blue eggs, but my purebred Ams have not started laying, so those won't be available until later in the spring.

Id like to get pures more, id like to get some gray or black hens i have red hens so really id just like to get a different color to go with them

Back
Top Bottom